Motor Rebuild

First question is build the block would stay the same correct? Won't run into differences until I have motor completed? Not talking adding intake etc just talking basics: bottom end completed, heads completed.

I have a spare exhaust, intercooler, and intake.

Calia22 how much would you be willing to let the exhaust, intercooler & intake go for? Do you have pictures?

I would just put it together and enjoy it for awhile. If you have all the pieces and the engine and trans are in good shape, then all you are buying is a set of gaskets to get the car together mechanically.

Why powder coat the oil pan, no one will see if. Just prime, paint and move on.

Converting it to a factory 86-87 car, you need the accessory bracket that is not made anymore, you need the belt tensioner that is not made anymore (now have billet version for $400), computer, harness, intake, plenum, TB, fuel rail, downpipe, exhaust, and more and more.

There is going to be a bunch of turbo regals at the Nifty 50s car show this saturday, stop by and say hi.

I would just put it together and enjoy it for awhile. If you have all the pieces and the engine and trans are in good shape, then all you are buying is a set of gaskets to get the car together mechanically.

Why powder coat the oil pan, no one will see if. Just prime, paint and move on.

Converting it to a factory 86-87 car, you need the accessory bracket that is not made anymore, you need the belt tensioner that is not made anymore (now have billet version for $400), computer, harness, intake, plenum, TB, fuel rail, downpipe, exhaust, and more and more.

There is going to be a bunch of turbo regals at the Nifty 50s car show this saturday, stop by and say hi.

I agree with you. That was my thought that all I need is to get gaskets and I can be rolling. As far as powder coating I have a friend who ha a shop who does it basically for free (a case of beer) so I usually just powder coat thing. Also, I will be at the show Saturday. I look forward to meeting you if you'll be there and other people. BTW my name is Ray.

Let me ask this, as I am new to the turbo Buick scene. It appears as if it is a lot of parts required to switch a HA car to a IC car. Seems like best bet would be to just purchase a IC motor or a completed car. IF that is the case, and I do repeat if that is the case I think I'm going to stay HA. I totally understand that the intercooler will obviously increase performance. Hot air is less dense meaning less oxygen meaning less air flow meaning less power. .....................

Let's clear up a couple things, the engine needs only a small modification, and that is a threaded hole in the front of the block for the turbo oil drain return line. The complete engine will work just fine.

One major "issue" with a hot air car is the 2-level intake manifold which is VERY restrictive, so adding an intercooler is of little help.

Major items needed are the intake, pass side header and turbo, 1986-7 engine wiring harness, electric fan, PS pump and lines, and an accessory bracket for the alt, AC compressor and PS pump. Most of the time these items, and other small items, are available used in the For Sale forum.

Nick thank you for the clarification. I will have to look into it much more to see what is best for me at this time. However, I do have one question right now is there are certain place that the threaded hole needs to be? If you have an image of a block with that threaded hole already in it that would be helpful too.

There is one other aspect I want to add to this HA conversion to IC discussion which is NOT an opinion, but what I have actual knowledge about HA vs. intercooled conversions prices locally.

I have owned a couple HA cars recently and sold them after some minor work, $3k to $5k is the going rate.

One very nice 1984 conversion, not a GN, sold for $14K.

A $10k conversion to IC will sell quickly, and bring more $$$ if nice. IC vs. HA will always bring $3-6K or more on our local market.

The simple reason for this is not just more performance in a stock IC conversion, but the ability to obtain a LOT more performance at a reasonable cost if and when desired! :)

My buddy is in the process of installing an intercooler motor into an 85 WH1 he picked up as a roller it's a bit of work between his stash and our local group we have been able to find all the pieces he needed we all contributed a little in parts andto get him up and running.

My opinion: rebuild the car. Get it running on the hot air setup. Meanwhile, get yourself a 109 block and start saving for a nice build. If you want to go fast that is. Nothing wrong with a nice HA car. Don't see many out there.

IMO if you plan to intercool do it now it's like an LS swap it's the initial install the takes the most once it's done you can swap out a short block easily but wiring and acc brackets fuel lines headers down pipe ...
Add that to a motor build it can be overwhelming.

First question is build the block would stay the same correct? Won't run into differences until I have motor completed? Not talking adding intake etc just talking basics: bottom end completed, heads completed.

Calia22 how much would you be willing to let the exhaust, intercooler & intake go for? Do you have pictures?
I would get rid of it for cheap. it's clutter in my tiny garage at this point anyways, and its going to be going to a good cause. let me know if there is anything else you need that I can help you with. and I have pictures on one of my threads. Look on here. Ignore the prices, I need to update that part anyways.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/full-ac-system-rjc-parts-stock-heads-exhaust-etc.424591/

I also MIGHT be getting rid of my intake and Alt. bracket as well so I will remember you if I decide to replace them

There are lots of 86-87 intercooled parts available. You just need to know what you need and then start shopping. If you are careful, you can find everything you need used and NOT break the bank!!

Just as an example, you can buy stock intercoolers with shroud and brackets all day long for $100-$150 off this board.

I completely agree with Nick on values of cars converted to the 86-87 Turbo setup. The converted intercooled cars command a much higher price than the equivalent Hot air car.

I converted an 86 Limited 307 car to the 86-87 intercooled turbo. My wife hated the half vinyl top and all the old man chrome. I sold it for the same price as any other 86-87 turbo car. I turned around and bought one she liked (I told it was for her.......which was not really true!).

So I offer you two good reasons:
  1. You bought this car RIGHT! You can maximize your value with the conversion
  2. You will enjoy the huge difference that the 86-87 turbo package adds to the car.
My very first brand new car was a Gold 1985 Limited Regal T Type. I loved that car.......but performance wise, it didn't hold a candle to my buddies 1986 GN. If I still had that car, It would have been converted long ago!!!

I wish someone had a thread that was exactly how to convert to a IC car. Maybe that thread already exist. If it does could someone hook me up with the link to the thread. Would love to see that. There a lot of threads on the conversion, haven't made it through them all, but it doesn't look like a comprehensive one of all that is entailed. For now I guess I will continue to build this motor. From my understanding that has to be done regardless of the set up.

image.jpg

More cleaning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100