Motor Rebuild

OK guys. We have been talking about doing the IC conversion while I have everything out. I've looked over threads and this appears to be the comprehensive list of items I need. If I am mistaken please let me know and I will add or subtract as needed. Also, if any parts I have on my 84 that might be of use let me know so I can subtract those as well. As far as the brackets are concerned if someone does not have an extra one but is willing to either give me the dimensions or trace it on a piece of paper and mail it or fax it or scan it whatever works let me know. I make an exact duplicate. Just trying to see if I can get all of this stuff.

87 Intake(upper and lower)with fuel rail, and throttlebody with Iac, and tps ,throttle lever-
-87 Throttle bracket
-87 EGR solinoid with vacuum harness
-87 Waste gate solinoid
-87 Throttle cable
-87 ECM+chip
-87 MAF
-87 spark control module, Fan relay, MAP
-87 coil/ module
-coil brackets(2 brackets)
-pass manifold + cross over
-turbo bracket
- main accessory and alt brackets(both Y and L brackets)
-belt tensioner
-87 alt
-AC compressor
-Power steering
-PS reservior and mounting bracket
-87 down pipe
-87 Pass valve cover
-87 Turbo
-turbo oil feed and oil return lines, with brass adaptor
-87 Waste gate actuator
-turbo shield
-87 engine harness and injector harness and relays
-Intercooler
-Intercooler brackets(2 brackets)
-Intercooler fan
-Intercooler scoup
-up pipe
-all pulleys(crank, water pump, alt, etc.)
-87 crank position sensor
-87 Detent cable
-87 cruise control assembly
-Electric fan
-Rad hold down
-87 AC lines
-Ac line brackets

There's different ways to do the conversion. In which intercooler /turbo/ down pipe/ maf to use also. Unless you want a totally stock look. But if your performance minded invest in the upgraded parts and buy one time. I've got 6-7 of the items on your list I can sell really reasonably. And I'm close to you also if you need advice. Just let let me know.

GBGN1 Yea you are really close to me. I live in Champions Area so you are super close to me. Are you going to be at Buicks @ Fiftee50ees this Saturday? What parts do you have? Can you send me photos of what you got and how much you want for it. As far as my plans I was probably going to do a custom look if I could not get all the stock parts. Was probably going to upgrade a few items while at it but wanted as close to a stock look as possible. I am a CNC programmer and a machinist by trade so I have access to a lot of equipment so I usually end up fabricating things that will work for me.

Yes I'll be there,with a few guys. Paul Leblanc is local and should be there and should have most other parts I don't have.

I've got
Cruise control parts u need
Throttle bracket and cable
Cam sensor
Iac
Tps
Radiator hold down
Coil/ control module/ v bracket.
ECM
Egr solenoid if u want it
Wastegate solenoid I think.
I'd have todo some digging

OK guys. We have been talking about doing the IC conversion while I have everything out. I've looked over threads and this appears to be the comprehensive list of items I need. If I am mistaken please let me know and I will add or subtract as needed. Also, if any parts I have on my 84 that might be of use let me know so I can subtract those as well. As far as the brackets are concerned if someone does not have an extra one but is willing to either give me the dimensions or trace it on a piece of paper and mail it or fax it or scan it whatever works let me know. I make an exact duplicate. Just trying to see if I can get all of this stuff.

87 Intake(upper and lower)with fuel rail, and throttlebody with Iac, and tps ,throttle lever-
-87 Throttle bracket
-87 EGR solinoid with vacuum harness
-87 Waste gate solinoid
-87 Throttle cable
-87 ECM+chip
-87 MAF
-87 spark control module, Fan relay, MAP
-87 coil/ module
-coil brackets(2 brackets)
-pass manifold + cross over
-turbo bracket
- main accessory and alt brackets(both Y and L brackets)
-belt tensioner
-87 alt
-AC compressor
-Power steering
-PS reservior and mounting bracket
-87 down pipe
-87 Pass valve cover
-87 Turbo
-turbo oil feed and oil return lines, with brass adaptor
-87 Waste gate actuator
-turbo shield
-87 engine harness and injector harness and relays
-Intercooler
-Intercooler brackets(2 brackets)
-Intercooler fan
-Intercooler scoup
-up pipe
-all pulleys(crank, water pump, alt, etc.)
-87 crank position sensor
-87 Detent cable
-87 cruise control assembly
-Electric fan
-Rad hold down
-87 AC lines
-Ac line brackets

If you want to do cruise and A/C i have all of those parts too! also have the wastegate gear also! and the valve covers! lets get you Intercooled!

Maybe this is a obvious question. But why can't I use the valve covers I have. What's the difference between 84 & 87 valve covers? Height?

I have a BWD ignition module I can sell. Couple intercoolers with a stock scoop. I might have an oil feed line and a brass block. Good question on the valve covers though.

image.jpg

Harmonic balancer pulled and cleaned. Timing chain was removed as well as camshaft. Didn't get to do to much more. Was wedding anniversary. Didn't want to make the wife mad staying in the garage all night.

Maybe this is a obvious question. But why can't I use the valve covers I have. What's the difference between 84 & 87 valve covers? Height?

You can, I have HA covers on my '87. The only difference (AFAIK) is the HA valve covers doesn't have the vent on the front of the passenger cover. Which most intercooled folks eliminate as it fills the turbo & IC with oil.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Last edited:
On the timing chain cover/ oil pump cover there is a small plastic "shelf" or tab. Looks like something is supported/ adjusted by it. What is that for?

I'm starting to get to a point that I wish I broke this down. Building a motor is sort of always the same. But where brackets and various accessories go is another thing. Is there something that will explain where all accessories go on a intercooler setup?

I'm starting to get to a point that I wish I broke this down. Building a motor is sort of always the same. But where brackets and various accessories go is another thing. Is there something that will explain where all accessories go on a intercooler setup?

This should help for the accessory bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_0193.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 105
Is the timing tab of any use? I would think the timing would be adjusted by the ECM. Is this not correct?