Mr. Syclone last race 2010 with engine blowup

mrsyclone

Hi all Sy/Ty-lovers!

I have put up my last film of season 2010. This season has been my most troubled season. There has been something wrong with almost every part in the car :) The main problem have been the new MSD7 digital. The engine has misfired and we never found the problem, but we new something was wrong. At my last race we found the problem, but then it was to late, I didn´t have any spare ignition with me. We also had a converter failure on the same race, but I had one spare with me, and we changed to that. But unfortunally the MSD stopped the race :(Even with a bad MSD we managed to run 8,8 sec. 162mph earlier in the season 2010, not bad!

All the problems is mostly due to ware and age, except the MSD (junk). The film is of course in Swedish, but I think that you get the idea when watching it :)

Hopefully 2011 will be my year :) Reaching my goals and times

Just want to wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!

YouTube - Syclone: last race 2010 with engine blowup

Sorry to hear you hurt it Robert. You may want to try a more basic ignition box since you're XFI traction control box can probably do everything you need timing wise.

Thanks for sharing. you will be right back in there in 2011, this is part of racing, which you already know. :)

I see you had Carrillo rods in it that failed. Those are what I call 2 pass rods , 2 pass because inside the side of the beam they actually took a ball end mill and made 2 passes down each side of the rod leaving a raised ridge in the center. They do this to make the rod lighter and thats a good thing for a NA motor. But it takes enough weight out of the beam that it makes it weak to withstand that kind of power. On a buick I basically draw the line at 1000HP. Anything approaching that level should shy away from those rods. They can push past that level but the tune cannot have any mis steps. If you put that same rod back in the motor I sugest you consider removing them!! I have been there and done that a few too many times , just trying to help!!

I also have had nothing but problems with the digital 7 box. I think I sent them back for checkout at least 4 times , put 3 new boxes in the car and finally put a MSD-7AL in it and that cured everything. I now have a MSD10 in mine.

Love your videos and your sharing of info!! Keep up the good work. Mike:cool:

I wonder how many H-beam rods took out blocks over the years. Mike is dead on. The rods "work" but one mistake they bend and shatter like glass. A good set of Crowers is what I would use at this point Robert.

I have set of Corillo Steel Rods 6.5? No issues, not sure if they are even the same?

I wasn't going to say anything, because I think I've brought this up before to Robert, but I X 3 on the Carrillos. Olivers or Crower.

I have set of Corillo Steel Rods 6.5? No issues, not sure if they are even the same?

I would change the rods out. I have heard of one guy who bent the crap out of 2 Crower rods, after a mishap at the track, and they never did break and he was able to fix the engine. If this had happened with Carrilos at 1500+ the only thing he might have left was the intake manifold and valve covers. It cost me a lesson $$ wise and destroyed a rare block and I'm sure others can say the same thing hindsight being 20/20.

I would change the rods out. I have heard of one guy who bent the crap out of 2 Crower rods, after a mishap at the track, and they never did break and he was able to fix the engine. If this had happened with Carrilos at 1500+ the only thing he might have left was the intake manifold and valve covers. It cost me a lesson $$ wise and destroyed a rare block and I'm sure others can say the same thing hindsight being 20/20.

Thanks, I will look into that should I keep the car. I have never pushed the car, but was going to creap on it this next year. Not much though, but maybie see 33 pounds of boost, through most of the run, since the car has never seen more then 29 for the last part of runs.

Thanks for all the respons! The engine is back together and running. Probobly cause to failure: Broken wristpin. I have already tried Oliver rods, and they don´t last. Maximum powerrate for GM V6 is 1250hp. They don´t stand cylinderpressure. These facts are from Oliver. They recommend me H-beam for my application.

Robert

The documentation that I've seen on H-beam rods don't recommend their use for over 700 hp on a V8. How does that compute out for a Chevy V6?
All I can say about my experience is that I've been through some hairy tuning mishaps that would have folded a H-beam.

Keep the tuning safe and you'll probably be OK.

Good luck next racing season!!! I hope to see more new bests from your truck!