MSD 7531

What's the big hype over distributors anyway?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The MSD8 will drive 2 coils but I have both outputs looped for a single coil to make it hotter.....and it's very hot. I have added plastic wrap around my plug wires near the motor plate which is an easy grounding location. I noticed the spark jumping to the plate even with brand new Firecore wires.

Is it possible to have too much spark?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I wouldn't spend the money on a 7531 unless you want to be a DOT racer and use the traction control features. Im with Billy and like to use the engine Mgt to control timing and ignition and have everything on once screen on the datalog.

Mike E how come you are not using the two step feature in your fuel mgt system instead of the 7531?

Distributors are simple and switch the ignition from an inductive system to capacitive discharge which IMO is a better set up for racing with higher RPM forced induction motors especially over 6250 with stock CDI setup.

Mallory ignitions are pretty solid. I ran the Accel DFI digital 6 box on my old car and it is the same as the Mallory box just repackaged and labeled so they can charge DFI customers who want the same label more.

Billy you only need enough spark to light the fire so to speak. IMO a very high power CDI box can cause a lot of electrical interference which our cars can be sensitive to especially the XFI users. I can not see needing any more than a simple 7Al box for ignition that seems to be a pretty solid set up.

I have a brand new Crane Hi 6 box for sale cheap make offer if anyone is interested.

The XFI has a lot of neat features in there for the two step but they dont make it easy to understand or use in the software thats for sure.

The bad thing about using the XFI 2-step is that you need the laptop connected to it to change it, sort of. If you're in the staging lanes and see cars slipping, you can't lower the 2-step. If you have the XFI "thumbwheel", you can set it up with different 2-step settings but keep the timing/fuel.

With the MSD, you can put the 2-step dial in the center console and change it on the fly.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Why 2 people on this topic selling the Crane system?

Sent from my LG-P705g using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I switched to a MSD 7al with E85. The Crane wasn't strong enough to fire the E85 at mid 8 sec power. It worked fine on Q16, and I think Chris Lyons ran the Crane on his old low 8 sec TSO car. Nothing wrong with the crane, actually I liked it better, it was alot cheaper, and had a dial built in for the rev limiter. It was also easier to mount behind the glove box. I was going to go CNP, but all of the the cars running it I have seen in person have had coil issues. I will probably go with Bailey's TR6 on my Cadillac, it will be running a stock ECM with a SD2 chip on E85 with my old high 8 sec combo.

It probably won't be enough when you get that 88 turned all the way up, but that might be a while before you get there. If I were you , I would keep using it to see how far it will go before it gives out.

How do you like the 7531 you are using? I would rather get that than the 7al-2

Thanks

I have no complaints about it. It's overkill for what I'm doing. I'm not using any of the advanced features except for rev limit and two step. I could do those with a regular 7al2 box. I have been frustrated a time or two getting the laptop to connect so I could adjust the two step, but I think that's a laptop problem.

If someone were to put a new 7al2 and rpm selector switch in front of me, I would trade the 7531. For nothing more than to simplify things. I haven't checked out the XFI two step thing, but that would make things even easier. I like to keep things simple at the track and connecting a laptop and changing settings in multiple devices isn't my idea of simple.

Msd digital boxes are designed for non street use, the 7al2 you can run all day without any worry about the box overheating and or burning out. Use the XFI for the 2 step if you have a classic fast sell it , don;t be cheap buy an XFI..:) That means you Joe.

No that subject what about using the HVC coil for the street with a 7al-2. Heard they would melt the jell is that right. Or what coil to use. Thanks

Thanks Mike for the reply. Norbs.....what can I say about yours!! If I would have abuyer for mine, I know someone who has an XFI with Traction control for sale....:mad:

So I am back to this again since I have sold my 6AL-2. For a fact I know that this motor I have did make close to 1200RWHP when the other guy had it. So for me to reach this level the 7AL-2 would be plenty or I can go with better?
I would have to ask what he ran or what he is ruuning now with the 540 C.I. TT Beast..