My '86 GN 17 years later

bogie1

Hi Folks,
I have been reading from this forum for over a year and I finally got off my butt and started to restore my 1986 GN. I bought it new in spring of 1986 and was racing at the GS Nationals in Bowling Green in 1987. My best time there was about 14.0. Had fun at the local 1/8 drags in 1988 on grudge nights and got to where I could run 8.77 @ 82mph on unleaded drag gas + very early hypertech chip through the cat. Really amazed the local folks. I don't know why but I kinda drifted away from the car around 1989. My wife has been using it as a regular old Regal around town driver ever since. The starter went out and I let the car sit for 3 months.
Since then I have followed what I have read on the forum here and :
Did the Spring cleaning top to bottom.
replaced the starter, powermaster accum+switch+motor.
replaced the plugwires, plugs, coil pack, hoses, belt,bronse heater valve, pcv, ww motor and resivoir. wastegate sol and hose kit. all vacum lines + fuel filter.
Added-- RA XP fp, billet fr,hotwire, ATR 14" cold air kit.
I just ordered the ATR 3" downpipe, ATR CAT, and 3" ss dual exhaust kit.
I am using a Scanmaster 2.1 for tuning.
Before I started fixin her up the car would ping it's behind off with anything over 10lbs boost, miss, you name it. I didn't get discouraged beacuse I knew there was nothing wrong but years of neglect and I had this forum to pick out each problem one by one.
Thanks to the forum I found the reason for my 150 BLM reading at idle " Driver side header crack".
Bottom line is now I can run 14-15 lbs of boost with no pings or spark retard showing with stock chip 180 thermo and 93 octane. (starting to get too cold for the 160 thermo). The car feels great and now that I have a baseline I can go from here(130,000 orig mi).
Just wanted to say thanks to all the TurboBuick.com Folks for making it so easy.
Next will be the suspension replacements and then fresh paint.
Going fast with Class is fun.

Awesome!! Glad to hear you kept the car in the family for all those years.

As far as your mods it sounds like you are on the right track. :) I only saw one thing that kind of looked out of place. You mentioned buying an "ATR cat". Forget the cat and get yourself a good test pipe to go with your ATR downpipe. You will be much happier.

Good Story---glad to see one getting re-done instead of heading the junk yard or being parted out.Where in N.C do you live?

Geoff

Sorry It took so long to reply I couldn't find the post. It ended up in the lounge where it should have been from the start.
I live in Chatham County. South of Greensborro and west of Raleigh. Are you from NC?