You can type here any text you want

My car is leaking something BADLY

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
this morning my... my mom told me to go look outside and what do I see... a large rainbow looking spill that was running down the parking lot and covered 4 parking spots, and it was coming from somewhere under the car. I keep thinking that I am leaking oil and need to replace the oil pan, or that its brake fluid. I went to start the car and drove it around the block and I smelled a slight burning smell that I smelled every once in a while. Its not gas, its not transmission fluid, but whatever it is... it needs to be fixed. I did not have any leaks especially after fixing the battery. any Ideas:frown:

The rear main seal will leak on these engines with time and then it drips down onto the crossover pipe and burn so you smell it and see it smoke. The factory uses a rope seal and there are two piece rubber aftermarket seals but sometimes you have to drop the crank out to replace the upper half.
The oil pan is probably having some seepage too.

A "rainbow" looking stain is usually oil of some sort but if it's as big as you say Adam may be right. The crank doesn't have to pulled but it is a pain to fix for sure. I does make it easier to drop the crank down enough to get the seal in. If you decide to tackle it make sure that you use the 86-87 rear seal. I's viton and seals much better than the original rope seal.

How much do you think a shop will charge me to get this fixed... how much would a GOOD crankshaft cost?

The crank isn't the problem. It's the seal that needs replacing. For a shop to do it between 6 to 8 hours labor time plus parts. This should include fixing the rear main seal and resealing the pan. You don't need a crank.

Is the stain still there? I say it's coolant with a little bit of whatever oil/petrol product is all over the undercarriage.

Finding a leak on these engines isn't hard to do. Put some cardboard under the car and trace it from there.

notacarlo is right Put some card board under the car and post a pic of it once something has leaked on it.The placement of the card board will also determin where the leak is dripping from front of engine rear of engine ect.........check for that

Sometimes.....

I had the oil return from the turbo crack. It bled oil during wide open throttle. It dripped down the front cover to the oil pan lip, then all the way back and down the crossover pipe. Not indicative of the leak location.

Wipe down or carefully wash the engine as best as possible, leaks will be much easier seen.

valve covers, rear main, oil return from turbo, pan gasket, good places to start.

The "taste test" quickly identifies what fluid you need to be looking for....

Notacarlo right again that rubber seal for the oil return will sometimes break and when wailing on the car it will blow oil down the the back of the engine.

Back