You can type here any text you want

My GN Vs. WS6

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bishir

Serenity Now
I was at the local cruise spot tonight when someone asked me if I wanted to race his buddies car. I asked what it was and I was told it was a Trans Am. I said sure because I wanted to get a feel of how my car compares to an LS-1. Plus, I just got the new transmission and the Alky was running great at about 19lbs of boost.

Once the car pulled up my friend said I was going to get trashed because he saw it run before. It was a 99 WS6 with head and cam work plus others said he's running NO2. It didn't matter to me because I knew I'd probably lose anyway because of traction issues with the stock tire sizes I'm running. I just wanted a comparison.

We get on the Interstate and when it's clear we slow down and roll at about 10mph. He counts to 3, I build boost, and we go. He had drag radials and he hooked. I fishtailed like I was on ice. He pulled car length and a half before I got some kind of traction. By then the race was over. We turned around and started heading back in the other direction. This time we started from a roll at 40mph. I knew this was going to be bad b/c I've heard LS1s are quick from a roll. Anyway, I brake boost to 10 lbs, he counts, and we hit the gas. This time I had traction and we stayed neck to neck to 115mph until he started to inch his bumper past mine. Then we both shut down.

When we got back both of us were very surprised my car could keep up with his. I told him it would be a different story if I had traction. I was also very happy with the results since his car sounded very strong. In fact he claimed a 7.42 on the bottle and a 7.89 off the bottle w/ 1.6 60 foots on both. I thought about using the ricer excuse, "but you have two extra cylindaz!" hehe

I think if I stepped up to a thrasher chip, new tires, and more boost and I would have blew him away! Going fast cost money though...

James

Originally posted by bishir
7.89 off the bottle w/ 1.6 60 foots on both.

Good runs! :D

Was this car a 6 speed or auto? 7.89 w/ a 1.6 60 foot is kinda weak for a heads/cam LS1. I was getting 8.0-8.1 when I was stock motored with just a higher stall converter and some sticky tires.

His car was a six speed. He attributed the poor times to cold weather not allowing his tires to bite. Apparently he ran these times in December.

James

He runs a "7.42 on the bottle and a 7.89" ???? What the hell kind of times are those? You guys gotta be pushing 800HP!

Last GN I saw in video that pulled those times did a 7.93 @ 170.xx MPH. Got a parachute and wheelie bars?

I'm pretty sure they're talking about 1/8 times;) And bishir, using the excuse that it was "in December", when you guys are racing in Florida, doesnt hold water. What was it 59 degrees lol:D J/K Good run man, and happy to hear the new tranny is taking the abuse. Good luck man:)

Geezus, who races on the 1/8 mile? You'd think if a track were being built they'd just add a little more pavement and be like the rest of civilization. We're all turbo owners here and this is by no means any type of slam but isn't the 1/4 mile THE performance standard/number to boast? To most people an 1/8 mile # means little to nothing.

Here in Pensacola all of the tracks within a 3 hour drive are 1/8th mile tracks, and I believe the closest 1/4 mile track is at least 5 or 6 hours away. I would like to get a good 1/4 measurement, but without a trailer I'm very cautious about driving that far.

Yes, Striker the tranny is running great. I ment to update everyone and I will tonight.

Also, I got home and adjusted the TPS setting and discovered that my car was only running 3.98 V at WOT! It's fixed now!

James

Yes, I'm running all stock internals, turbo, and intercooler.

James

Originally posted by TT/A1233
Geezus, who races on the 1/8 mile? You'd think if a track were being built they'd just add a little more pavement and be like the rest of civilization. We're all turbo owners here and this is by no means any type of slam but isn't the 1/4 mile THE performance standard/number to boast? To most people an 1/8 mile # means little to nothing.

uhh.. maybe where you live :-p

around here alot of people go to one of the 3 8th mile tracks closer than ennis :)

8th mile is alot more dependent on traction..

also looks better when youve got a hotair with a small turbo that starves the motor on the top end.. :D

did an 8.6@79 99% stock :)

Legitimacy of 1/8 mile #'s must be geographic dependant. I've never seen anything but a 1/4 mile track and "did an 8.6@79 99% stock" is like talking German to me.

Like I stated before, if someone's going to build a track why not add another 660' to it and make a track recognized by the entire racing community? An 1/8 mile track is an anomaly at best. If you can build a 1/8 mi facility, you can build a 1/4 mi facility and gain a ton more business and respectability. No glass jaws here...go ahead and hit away.

I've heard if you multiply your 1/8th time by 1.53 you'll get a compairable 1/4 time. However your logic is flawed. An 1/8 mile track is already about a 1/4 mile long. The rest is for a shutdown and decel area. Converting an 1/8 to a quarter would need a lot more than 660 feet. I've heard rumors that the local 1/8 mile track is planning on expanding, but they are having problems with local residents not wanting the dragstrip behind their back yard. Gee, who wouldn't? :D

James

8th mile means less wear and tear on the cars...

i think it was jay carter (dont quote me im not 100% sure) told me one time you can run a car in the 8th mile way more often than you can run a car in the 1/4 mile cause the wear and tear on the car is so much less...

our 8th mile tracks are as follows:

Denton
Kennedale
Cedar Creek
Redline Raceway

and uuhh the ghetto yellow belly.

there is one 1/4 mile track.. ennis. every single one of those tracks is closer to anyone in the dallas ft worth metroplex than ennis is. they get TONS OF BUSINESS.

if you want a calculator go to www.mustangworks.com and click ANALYZER

Originally posted by bishir
I've heard if you multiply your 1/8th time by 1.53 you'll get a compairable 1/4 time. However your logic is flawed. An 1/8 mile track is already about a 1/4 mile long. The rest is for a shutdown and decel area. Converting an 1/8 to a quarter would need a lot more than 660 feet. I've heard rumors that the local 1/8 mile track is planning on expanding, but they are having problems with local residents not wanting the dragstrip behind their back yard. Gee, who wouldn't? :D

James
I didn't mean more real estate wasn't required in order to build a 1/4 instead of an 1/8 mile track. My thoughts were more toward the fact all the permits, construction and associated headaches were already overcome. Just get more land and extend the track and deceleration area another 700'. That's all you need...and of course the extra dough but should be made up considering the extra attention you'd get by having a real 1/4 mi track.
-----------------------------------------
Agreed an 1/8 mile track constitutes somewhat less wear, but I contend it's not that much. The launch and acceleration curve is exactly the same on both tracks which (in my opinion) is the hardest on the car.

You're right! www.emeraldcoastdragway.com is the track everyone here goes to. If they would extend the track it would a lot more popular. Though, the ricers would just be getting beat by more car lengths! hehe

James

Back