You can type here any text you want

My goal...10's w/PT54 and unported heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Otay. I know it is possible to run 10's with unported heads. Look at the **** article coupla months ago. Al the "Tinman", did it with a TA 49, unopend, stock cam, no transbrake, its all in the tuning, among other little things. No knock a must, hi boost a plus. I personally have run a best of 11.86 @ 112, 1.58 60ft. on stock turbo dp, and intercooler on a perfect day last year. Switched to a THDP, green stripes, FM,and 49, and ran 11.3 @118 two weeks ago. Can improve on that, with some more fine tuning. My heads have not been opened, and I will get to the tens like that! Finding out attention to detail and fine tuning will get u the couple of tenths needed to accomplish goals! Good Luck!!

1KWIK6 said:
UR4 is hotter than UR5, which is hotter than UR6. I run a "tight" .030" gap due to the higher boost levels that I run (28-33#). The tighter gap helps prevent misfires.

Hope that helps. :cool:

what's your setup you are runing some great times

thank you

Kevin,
Most has been said before but to get close to your 10.99 you need the 28" tires. You also need Lonnie to work on your governor to get the 5200 shifts. You need to get your MPH over 122 with a low 1.5 60' to get there. I would be running C-16 and let it cool down well between runs. The final item is a blue sky, high barometer, 60 deg day with a hooking track.
I was at Norwalk when the Tin Man ran his 10.93 with the 49 and a stock long block. Mine ran 11.08 - 122.2 with a 44 and blue tops (3750 lbs). It was one of those cool blue sky days with a track that was hooking. The weather might be good this weekend but I don't know if Edgewater or Tri-State will hook well enough.
Good luck,
Mike

my 1st gn said:
what's your setup you are runing some great times

thank you

Thank you. The Longblock is completely stock except for the Comp #980 springs. The car has had no weight removed other than spare tire, jack, and front sway bar.

Other items:
LS1 MAF sensor
Extender Extreme chip
Limit Eng. TE-45A
Action Fabrication 22-row I/C
Alkycontrol kit
72# FI
Single 340M pump
3" THDP w/ cutout
PTS 9 X 11 T/C
Metco lca
Comp Eng 90/10 shocks
28 X 9 X 15 MT ET Drags
Lots of time and tuning my combination.

Mike, I am getting ready to go to Ewater now. I just bolted up a set of 28x10 slicks on loan to me. Wish me luck!

Tonights update:

I used some 28" slicks that were pretty old. I had a few 11.40's and then ran a 11.37@118 with a 1.77 60'. At this point, the track was getting ready to close so I hot lapped it. It went 11.32 @ 119 with a 1.66 60'. My 60's were off by .1 seconds. No knock all night on 30+lbs of boost (probally around 31 or so). The last run, which was the best, the intercooler and turbo were hot before I ran. Next week I'm want 11.20's.

I'm getting closer :)

I have been watching this thread very closely, but i will bet you that you will blow it up, well before you hit any 10 sec pass. Keep trying though, the turbo is just too small and the heads will not flow enough to support your expectations.You need at least another 50 rwhp to get into the 10's and your maxed out now. I would not do multiple passes over 30 psi as your asking for a tow home. Sorry this is just a reality check.

norbs said:
I have been watching this thread very closely, but i will bet you that you will blow it up, well before you hit any 10 sec pass. Keep trying though, the turbo is just too small and the heads will not flow enough to support your expectations.You need at least another 50 rwhp to get into the 10's and your maxed out now. I would not do multiple passes over 30 psi as your asking for a tow home. Sorry this is just a reality check.
I already have about 50 passes running over 30 psi. I let out when any knock occurs. She will last :smile: If it goes, that will give me the chance to build the engine that I want.

BTW, I have already been towed home twice this year, none of which were engine related.

norbs said:

I agree. It takes a hoss of a car to hit 10's on a stock motor ( untouched ). Like I said earlier it has been done but is not the norm. 98% of untouched stock motors with just bolt - ons will probably see 11.20 to 11.40 et's depending on the driver, the tune and most importantly the cars weight. 10's is alot harder to attain than many seem to believe or want to believe.

Norbs & Donnie,

I disagree & depending on the ante I may have to try a little harder myself with our bolt-on car... :biggrin:

We went 11.45 @ 118.97 on the cars 2nd pass ever with less than 25psi through 1-3 gears, and 25psi at lock-up.

We never said how many 10-sec passes... There only has to be one, right?!?!?! ;)

K.

Well, If you can run 10s on that combo, You should in the "hall of stock fame" along with tim stockwell. I would like to see you do it , don't get me wrong. But i know how hard it is to pick up .5 sec, its just not that easy. You maybe running high boost no and not pushing the gaskets, but your not making that much mph so the power levels are lower, increasing the power output, increases stress's and you will find out the rest..............

norbs said:
Well, If you can run 10s on that combo, You should in the "hall of stock fame" along with tim stockwell. I would like to see you do it , don't get me wrong. But i know how hard it is to pick up .5 sec, its just not that easy. You maybe running high boost no and not pushing the gaskets, but your not making that much mph so the power levels are lower, increasing the power output, increases stress's and you will find out the rest..............

Norbs and I are on the same page on this. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the odds of doing it are very slim. Picking up a ½ second and 5 mph in this et range is much harder to come by.

I would have to see it backed up if it was run, not to be a stickler but I always like to see a back up pass to make sure everything is on the up and up. Like I said I wish whomever all the luck doing it. I tried to do it with my old set up and had to face reality that I had to have at least ported and polished heads to help get there.

DonnieShort said:
Norbs and I are on the same page on this. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the odds of doing it are very slim. Picking up a ½ second and 5 mph in this et range is much harder to come by.

I would have to see it backed up if it was run, not to be a stickler but I always like to see a back up pass to make sure everything is on the up and up. Like I said I wish whomever all the luck doing it. I tried to do it with my old set up and had to face reality that I had to have at least ported and polished heads to help get there.

What?? Well im sure you and norbs are seeking better numbers than most, but i see a trend here that you may have overlooked, its 10s with the heads never removed.

Surely it wont last forever at 30plus, but he already admits that he wants to build another motor once this one pops a gasket.
I would never run that much timing with that much boost, but to each his own, and he doesnt need ♥ to make it run 10s.

11.37 with a 1.77 today should run 10.97 with a 1.57 tomorrow if he gets rid of 50LBS of weight

Hell, read the GSX-tra and someone already is running 10s on a uncracked LONGBLOCK including intake with a smaller TA-49 turbo... Its all in the first sixty feet and how cold it is inside the motor:)

BW

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
and he doesnt need ♥ to make it run 10s.

BW

I think he wants it to run 10's, thats the whole point of this thread.I am hoping for 9s on a stock block and iron heads, but that goal maybe not possible either. If he is as 11.37 he would have to remove 400 lbs of weight, which turn it into an all out race car and no longer be streetable Don't believe all what you read....

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
What?? Well im sure you and norbs are seeking better numbers than most, but i see a trend here that you may have overlooked, its 10s with the heads never removed.

Surely it wont last forever at 30plus, but he already admits that he wants to build another motor once this one pops a gasket.
I would never run that much timing with that much boost, but to each his own, and he doesnt need ♥ to make it run 10s.

11.37 with a 1.77 today should run 10.97 with a 1.57 tomorrow if he gets rid of 50LBS of weight

Hell, read the GSX-tra and someone already is running 10s on a uncracked LONGBLOCK including intake with a smaller TA-49 turbo... Its all in the first sixty feet and how cold it is inside the motor:)

BW

I understand completely that he is wanting to run 10's on an unopened stock motor with a PTE 54. And as I've said several times before in this thread, it can be done and it has been done. I'm not disputing that at all. But the fact of the matter is it's not done very often. There are more that haven't done it than have and will be very unlikely if he does it. I really hope he can and I will lead the cheers for him to do it. Brian you've been around here a long time and you know there's only a handful of folks that have done it. All I'm saying is that it's few and far between, but never have I said it can't be done. The odds aren't in his favor though.

A buddy of mine has run 10.90's @ 123 with a 1.50 60 foot on a unopened all stock motor. He has a 67 turbo, stock location i/c. I think it's a CAS V4? and 55# injectors. I've seen him put the number up at least 5 times. Maybe he'll chime in here and confirm his combo. But one thing I am sure of, it's all stock :eek:

norbs said:
I think he wants it to run 10's, thats the whole point of this thread.I am hoping for 9s on a stock block and iron heads, but that goal maybe not possible either. If he is as 11.37 he would have to remove 400 lbs of weight, which turn it into an all out race car and no longer be streetable Don't believe all what you read....

He is already at a 11.37 with only a 1.77 sixty foot, convert that down to a consistant 1.57 and shed some weight, then its in the 10s.
He really needs to line out the rear suspension and get the car into the mid 1.5s and he is there.
I believe that with this 54 he has plenty of air to run 10s, he needs to get a lockup convertor with that setup because he is loosing power above 5000 rpm, NO need to rap it past 4800 with the stock cam... he will actually go slower revving it that high.
119MPH with a non lockup is EXCELLENT with only a 54, that would be 122 and change with a lockup.

Port the lower intake and port the headers, he will drop .2 and gain 2mph.

I think its very possible to get it there with the 54, shed some weight, get the sixty foot right and get the 1/8th mile mph to 99 and he is good to go.

I know a guy running 11.0s with a 51 and the lower intake isnt ported either, just another small combo :cool:

BW

Interesting, but the thread states unported heads. Lets not start changing things. I am waiting for the video and time slip of the 10 sec pass, with no other modifications allowed to the combo.

norbs said:
Interesting, but the thread states unported heads. Lets not start changing things. I am waiting for the video and time slip of the 10 sec pass, with no other modifications allowed to the combo.

I said port the headers not heads.

:confused:

BW

Back