My goal...10's w/PT54 and unported heads

Didn't get it done today. My normal track was closed last night due to rain so I went to the other local track were my car is always .1 second slower. The car was running great, 60's sucked! My 60's were in the 1.7's all day. Best I could do was a 11.34. I think this would have been at least a 11.2X at my normal track. Till next week....

Kevin,
First off, thanks for the tips! I made a few passes today trying to raise boost a little. I was able to get 29PSI out of it today trying to launch with the ET Radials. I kind of kick myself for not bolting on the slicks before we left....... it's 60'd in the 1.54 range with slicks, and my last pass it only 60'd a 1.68. I think I missed my chance today, as my last pass went 11.25@121, which I think could have possibley netted me at least a 10.9x pass had it hooked up good. So.... I definately think 10's are reachable with what you've got!

KevinB said:
60's sucked! My 60's were in the 1.7's all day.

I have read the entire thread and may have missed it, but what boost level are you leaving the line at and what's the air pressure in the tires?

Turbo1dr said:
I have read the entire thread and may have missed it, but what boost level are you leaving the line at and what's the air pressure in the tires?
Basically, pick a boost level, and I have tried it. Saturday I was leaving a little too hard at 20+ psi. 12-15 PSI seems to work the best so far. As with the slicks, same thing. I usually start at 15 psi and work my way down to 10 psi. 12 psi seems to work the best also. I was using Hoosier Quick Times (28X10.5) for the last 3 times to the track. These slicks are now used up. I think I have a lead on some M/T ET Streets (28X12.5") for this weekend. I am hoping they fit. In my past experiences, the ET Streets usually run a little smaller than advertised.

My car seems to be hoping at around the 60' now.
My suspension is not the best for drag racing.

Hotchkis sport springs (lowered the car by 2")
KYB shocks
Metco upper and lowers (going to adjust/check pinion angle this week)
235/60/15 front tires
Metco sway bar (same as ATR)
no front sway bar
airbags in the rear (10 psi pass side, 0 psi in the drivers side)

Mystery gift is in the package waiting, just need that 10 sec slip.......

norbs said:
Mystery gift awaits you............keep trying

I've got a feeling that gift will be waiting awhile :D

Just kidding, just keep trying. I'm not pulling against you, I hope you can do it. But your combo is maxed out or close to it, I just don't see where you can get the rest unless the car can shed some weight. You should be happy with what you've run so far. BTW, what is your car's exact weight?

Start cranking the boost is the only way and pray it holds together......

My freind ran a 54 for a couple of seasons and his best was 10.6X. This was with ported irons and a 218 cam. He found that the 54 gave up at 28lbs. he 60' around 1.54. hope this helps as his combo was maxed and I think yours is really close also.

I am over 30 psi now! I know I am maxed out. I am hoping a good 60', some fine tuning and some wieght reduction will get me there.

My car now wieghs 3650 with me in it. I wiegh 175. It is a ttop car, no carpet in it right now (had to put new floors in it). Also have the center console out right now too. It does have the chrome bumbers with the aluminum part behind it. No A/C compressor. Still has the heater box (I hate being cold, so that stays!) The dual 3" ATR SS exhaust is heavy, and I always go to the track with 1/2 tank of gas. No cage either. Maybe I will lose the front bumber Friday :) I am also going to check the pinion angle tomarrow, I've never checked it before.

35 psi scares me, but we'll see if I get there. My game plan for Friday goes like this:
I will be at the better local track at night, hopefully it will be in the low 50's or so. I also hope to have new slicks. I am goping to start the night out rich (high 700's on the stock o2) Then I am going to increase boost every run until I see a hint of knock. The car really likes the 740 range on the 02 sensor. I might even try to get some c116 gas. My buddy has offered his 50 shot of NOS---but thats cheating ;) Might even try the bags of ice on the intercooler and intake and have friends push my car thru the staging lanes (I usually sit and let the car idle for 10 minutes as I inch my way forward) I kind of know one of the guys that works the lanes, might have him give the track a good VHT spray before I run. He did it last year for a buddy of mine when we were trying to get his car in the 11's.

3 Days away! The weather looks good too! I want the gift Norbs :D
If any of you are in the Cincinnati area, I will be at Edgewater Friday. Might need a ride home :biggrin:

Sounds like you are trying everything in the book! I wish you best of luck!

I see new head gaskets in your near future. If I remember correctly, it didn't take long for Tim Stockwell to blow one after he pushed the boost very high.

Turbo1dr said:
I see new head gaskets in your near future. If I remember correctly, it didn't take long for Tim Stockwell to blow one after he pushed the boost very high.
I am not too concerned about head gaskets. A friend of mine is a pretty good head porter. So, when they go, the intake and the heads that go back on will be nicely ported. I was thinking of taking them off earlier this year, but decided to see how fast I could go with stockers.

Once the orginal seal is broken from GM they will be the same.........its true :frown:

KevinB,

Wow! You really started something here ! Good Thread. Guess I'll chime in , encourage, and predict you WILL make it . But everything will have to be " right -on". There are responses from some very knowledgable people here. Dusty, Stangbanger, GN87Mike, and Quick6n KC are giving some good info........ No need for me to get into what 's already been said. I've witnessed Stangbanger run 10.7's at the GS Nat's this year. His GN is the "real deal". ( Even if he has got a "runner-up "addiction :D ). His GN is a high-strung , fine tuned machine that runs consistantly in the 10's with a TA-61 turbo and a stock longblock. Proceed carefully, and you'll be there too. And as stated you WILL need good weather, a low 1.5 60ft., high boost,(30# min),loose some weight( 3550# would be good), C-16 fuel and absolutely NO knock !!!!.........and remember, you are living on the edge here, so be mentally preparred just in case. You will be pushing your factory components to an extreme, but your goal is a do-able one. Good luck !!
If it helps anyone, you can see my buildup in the May/June issue of the Buick GSX-tra magazine. It's very similar to most street combo's. Titled "10 sec TA-49/ factory longblock".

The " TINMAN" :cool:

87 GN, stock unopened factory longblock, v-2 frt mountI/C, Red's 107 chip, 55# inj's, 9/11 conv, LImit TA-49 turbo,and ................of course a "TINMAN "Cold-Air intake system! .......10.93 @ 123.8mph w/ 1.51 60ft.
www.modelman5.com/tinmancoldairkit.htm

I have been keeping up with this thread so I wish you GOOD LUCK!
I know time is short but I feel that you should have spent more time on the suspension to get the 60's down to mid/low 1.4's instead of running more boost. Your 60's are way off and launching with more boost is easy if you can get the traction. Maybe the different slicks will allow you more launch boost so don't forget to try it. If you can borrow them get some 3 1/2" wheels up front to help it hook and to remove weight.

I have my fingers crossed XXX
ks :cool: