My goal...10's w/PT54 and unported heads

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Tin Man, I met you a few years ago at Bowling Green. I traded you a stock turbo and a chrome grill for your cold air intake....which is on my car. I was selling a few parts next to your booth.

If it stays together, I may show up with it at BG next year. I have been wanting to race my car there for awhile.

Yeah, I never thought I would get this much response out of this. Maybe one or two replies would be it. I have got alot of good info from people here which I am trying to apply!

KEVINS said:
I have been keeping up with this thread so I wish you GOOD LUCK!
I know time is short but I feel that you should have spent more time on the suspension to get the 60's down to mid/low 1.4's instead of running more boost. Your 60's are way off and launching with more boost is easy if you can get the traction. Maybe the different slicks will allow you more launch boost so don't forget to try it. If you can borrow them get some 3 1/2" wheels up front to help it hook and to remove weight.

I have my fingers crossed XXX
ks :cool:
Thanks,
My project for this winter may include more suspension work. I have some of the key parts, but I also have stuff I know is hurting me. My shocks and springs are going to be replaced and I will get some 3 1/2" wheels this winter. The only thing that is preventing me from replacing the Hotchkis springs is the way it handles on the road with them. I like the way the car goes around corners.

If the car is hopping out of the gate, replace the upper control arm bushings and box the stock uppers if you havent yet.

I am rooting for you, but keep the boost at 30, lower the timing if you can, I forget if you are running meth... no time to go back and read the thread. sorry.

A 29x12.5 et street is the same size as a 28x10.0 et drag.
Either get airbags on both sides, or run steel drums and you might clear the fender wheel trim pieces by a hair without bags. It really depends on if the rear is centered and what your backspacing is.

Get er dun.
Wait till it cools off a bit too :biggrin:
BW

Above 35 lbs? Kevin maybe the world recorder holder for the most boost on a 109 block if we keep raising the levels he needs to run 10s :eek: :eek: :eek:

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
A 29x12.5 et street is the same size as a 28x10.0 et drag.
BW

EDIT:
I meant to say 28x12.5 et street is the exact same size as a 28x10.5 et drag.

I knew what i was saying but my fingers typed something different! :biggrin:

norbs said:
Above 35 lbs? Kevin maybe the world recorder holder for the most boost on a 109 block if we keep raising the levels he needs to run 10s :eek: :eek: :eek:

30psi is where all the fun starts! He's still at a "safe" level of boost! Read below.

This was taken from Harpers Racing. www.harpersracing.com

"Took the car out to the track and these were the Et Results.
First pass: 15-lb launch, 5800 RPM shift, 35-lbs boost.

1.401 60' Short
6.41@106 in 1/8
10.07@134 in 1/4

Second pass: 20-lb launch, 5800 RPM shift, 38 lbs boost.

1.422 60' Short
6.39@106 in 1/8
10.03@135 with slight pop, (lean).

Third pass: 20-lb launch, 6000 RPM shift, 36-lbs boost.
1.401 60' Short
6.38@107 in 1/8
10.03@133 with leaning problem again

Last pass:
20lb Launch 6000 RPM shift, 40 lb boost
1.406 60' Short
6.34 @107in 1/8
10.38 @127 broke Exhaust Rocker."

DonnieShort said:
Way too much boost to be safe with.

Did you edit your post?

Just wondering because when i recieved the notice that someone posted, it had more text to it..

Back on topic.

BW

There is no way a stock block with stock heads is going to handle 40 psi boost...........gimme a break.....

Great, I am happy to hear that the 12.5" ET streets are the same as the 10.5" Drags. I have been using the 28X10.5 with no problems. I have Metco uppers and lowers, so no need to box 'em.

Anyways, today I went to check the pinion angle. It was at +1#. Now it is set to -3#. That should help a little I hope. Tomarrow I am going to do my normal pre-race run down. One thing I am going to do is a compression check. I did one last month and they were all around 160-170 or so.

Looks like I am going to have to upgrade my 30 psi gage :biggrin:

Only thing you need to upgrade is your auto league card for the tow truck if your expecting to put 40 psi on this.... :rolleyes:

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Did you edit your post?

Just wondering because when i recieved the notice that someone posted, it had more text to it..

Back on topic.

BW

Since you asked, yes I edited it. I thought I had more to say but realised I didn't :D

Kevin,
I'll try to be at Edgewater Friday. What time will you be there?

Thanks,
Mike

GN87Mike said:
Kevin,
I'll try to be at Edgewater Friday. What time will you be there?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, I will be there from 6pm till close. Look for the 2 white TTypes. We usually park at the 1/8 mile marker on the pit side. Hope you can make it!

KevinB,

I do remember meeting you at the GS Nat's. Must of been about 4 years back. Glad to see your "TINMAN Cold-air kit is still seeing "action". Keep up the effort and you'll make it. Stay mentally focused.
Not sure what rear sway bar you have, but if it's the stocker, try running 0# air in dr. side air bag and 25# in the pass side. If the track is hooking ( with slicks) you should be good for high 1.5 60 ft. times if launching with fairly high boost( 10-12#+). If using the ATR or equal rear sway bar, keep the air bag pressure as low as possible.( 0# dr.-- 7-8# pass). Just watch-out for any contact on your pass. tire from the wheel well molding.

Good Luck!
" Tinman"

6GUN said:
KevinB,

I do remember meeting you at the GS Nat's. Must of been about 4 years back. Glad to see your "TINMAN Cold-air kit is still seeing "action". Keep up the effort and you'll make it. Stay mentally focused.
Not sure what rear sway bar you have, but if it's the stocker, try running 0# air in dr. side air bag and 25# in the pass side. If the track is hooking ( with slicks) you should be good for high 1.5 60 ft. times if launching with fairly high boost( 10-12#+). If using the ATR or equal rear sway bar, keep the air bag pressure as low as possible.( 0# dr.-- 7-8# pass). Just watch-out for any contact on your pass. tire from the wheel well molding.

Good Luck!
" Tinman"
I have the Metco bar, same as the ATR bar. I just reread the feature on your car. I hope I can do it too. I think my intercooler and stock MAF are holding me back right now. They will be replaced in the Spring. I'll keep all up to date tomarrow night. Wish me luck. Tomarrow's low is 30 :)

Kevin, it looks like JCturbo and I will be hitting the track this Sunday. My exact combo is:
Stock unopen long block with 100lb valve springs
62mm Steve Mon tb/ plenum
TA-61 w/ garrett .63
Action Fab 15 row stretch
3" THDP w/ TH 2 1/2" dual exhaust
009 inj, JL 110 race chip (26 deg timing)
stock maf with homemade cold air duct behind front bumper
1 XP pump with volt booster
stock trans rebuilt by Janis with shift kit
stock D5 converter
boxed stock rear upper and lower control arms with urethane bushings
1 airbag usually set at 25lbs
stock iron drums with S-10 wheel cyls

I'm going to see if I can get it weighed at the track, but I'm sure its heavy. Its a fully loaded car and I run it with the stock steel wheels with 28"/9" et drags. It went 11.30 last year with a bad tps, so I'm hoping to go 11 teens. Maybe I'm dreaming. We'll see.
I'll let you know how we do.

Tonights results:

11.18@119.76 with a 1.626 60'.

........and a blown head gasket :eek:

I got a little gready and went too far. Looking back at DS, car did go to 4 degrees knock for a split second. I guess that was enough to pop it. I am now getting ready to pull it apart to see what damage was done. If the engine is allright, I will through another stock gasket on this week and try again next weekend. Unfortunately I will not be able to say "unopened motor" :frown:

It was fun while it lasted! I think I gave it a good try. Good luck to everyone else that is trying for the same goal. I came up .18 seconds too short.

It's going to be a long night, I will post again tomarrow with the results of the tare down.

Thanks to 87GNMike! It was nice to see you down there.
He gave me some good advise on how to launch the car better. It dropped .1 seconds off the 60'!