You can type here any text you want

My new chassis thread

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
oK its been awhile

Ok-

so Ive been busy getting the floor pan patched in, clean the underside so its ready for the PORing and started the trunk mods and Im a bit stump on something so I looking to the board for past experiences...

The body mounts right behind the rear wheels were seized up - Ive exposed the topside from within the trunk but Im a bit mystified as to how to get the out - ive tried a few different avenues with no luck - anyone got any suggestions!?

pics have been attached of recent progress...

Attachments

• SAM_0227.jpg
    SAM_0227.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 479
  • SAM_0230.jpg
    SAM_0230.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 485
  • SAM_0231.jpg
    SAM_0231.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 485
  • SAM_0246.jpg
    SAM_0246.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 487
  • SAM_0235.jpg
    SAM_0235.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 484
a few more of the underside

heres a few pics of the underside all cleaned up and ready for paint!

Attachments

• SAM_0237.jpg
    SAM_0237.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 480
  • SAM_0238.jpg
    SAM_0238.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 480
  • SAM_0239.jpg
    SAM_0239.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 481
looks good man. But I am surprised you didnt beef up the frame more. Like re-enforcing the C-section.

looks good man. But I am surprised you didnt beef up the frame more. Like re-enforcing the C-section.

Yeah I considered boxing the frame but decided against it - Ive already got all the bolt on braces available commercially + a few that aren't :cool: + a six point cage is planned for my build too so stiffening things up isn't a big concern - having the opening in the c's allows me some flexibility with the lines that will need to be ran for the brakes, fuel, nos...

Ok-

The body mounts right behind the rear wheels were seized up - Ive exposed the topside from within the trunk but Im a bit mystified as to how to get the out - ive tried a few different avenues with no luck - anyone got any suggestions!?

pics have been attached of recent progress...

The body has two layers in these areas. The trapazoid nuts are captured here with a piece of steel kind of folded over and welded on two sides. I had to cut holes in my trunk also to get them out. I ended up welding the nuts to some flat steel plates and puting them back in. Efectively, I made a really big washer for under the nut and clamped the body down with a new bolt.

It looks like yours are better off than mine was. You might be able to heat the top of the bolt with a torch and turn it out of the nut and save the captured nut.

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 446
The body has two layers in these areas. The trapazoid nuts are captured here with a piece of steel kind of folded over and welded on two sides. I had to cut holes in my trunk also to get them out. I ended up welding the nuts to some flat steel plates and puting them back in. Efectively, I made a really big washer for under the nut and clamped the body down with a new bolt.

It looks like yours are better off than mine was. You might be able to heat the top of the bolt with a torch and turn it out of the nut and save the captured nut.

Thanks for your thoughts! I went out a bought this today...

BernzOmatic Cutting / Welding / Brazing Torch Kit (16.92 oz cylinder) at Blain's Farm & Fleet

in hopes that I can heat them up and turn them out, i might try to double nut them too to get them started - wish me luck!

You'd be better off with a MAPP gas torch than that little thing. The O2 tank is so small it will piss you off when it runs out. It did me.

You'd be better off with a MAPP gas torch than that little thing. The O2 tank is so small it will piss you off when it runs out. It did me.

Yeah Im finding that out the hard way ;) I think Ill switch the MAP tank over to my propane torch head and see how that works for heating the piece up...

We couldn't get it to move yesterday - the mount plate was red but not glowing red - im going to give'r another go today. Sometimes you need to just walk away before the frustation makes you go crazy!! :mad:

DON'T USE THE PROPANE HEAD!!! Shouting isn't my normal so sorry, but the MAPP gas burns much hotter and will melt a normal propane torch head.

made some good progress

today was a pretty productive day with little hassle. :biggrin: got the seized bolts out ( welded a nut to the exposed threads and it came right out!! ), welded the holes back up and got my spare tire blank glued in, im pretty happy with the results I should be ready to POR next weekend as long as I can make a new seat mount for the outer front drivers side ( the original it TOAST :eek: ) but here are some more pics...

Attachments

• SAM_0268.jpg
    SAM_0268.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 376
  • SAM_0270.jpg
    SAM_0270.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 376
  • SAM_0269.jpg
    SAM_0269.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 372
undercarriage is coated!

Ok so this past weekend I got the undercarriage coated. Ill undercoat with rubberized stuff after all the body work and paint is done. Im gonna start stripping the paint off the shell hopefully this weekend!

Here's some pics...

I will be doing the same thing hopefully within a year or so. I have to ask, why not use the HR Bar in thr rear? Doesnt look like you went cheap anywhere and it is totally worth the $$$. Just wondering. I love the silver with the black components. Cant wait for the finished ride.

Coach

why not use the HR Bar in thr rear?

I intend to get it eventually but I am WAYYY over budget at the moment and its easily added later.

I love the silver with the black components. Cant wait for the finished ride.

Thanks the more I get done the more Im liking it too!

Now Im struggling with the body color choice :confused: Ive got a nice blue interior for this car so Im somewhat limited I kinda wish it was gray interior then Id have alot more options.

Present day teaser pics...

Attachments

• SAM_1001.jpg
    SAM_1001.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 157
  • SAM_1004.jpg
    SAM_1004.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 153
  • SAM_1015.jpg
    SAM_1015.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 155
  • SAM_1024.jpg
    SAM_1024.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 155
  • SAM_0861.jpg
    SAM_0861.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 153
I intend to get it eventually but I am WAYYY over budget at the moment and its easily added later.

Thanks the more I get done the more Im liking it too!

Now Im struggling with the body color choice :confused: Ive got a nice blue interior for this car so Im somewhat limited I kinda wish it was gray interior then Id have alot more options.

I see you got the firewall Silver. If I were doing it, I would go White and Silver 2 -tone with a Blue pinstripe separating the colors and that will tie the interior in. Do the White top and Silver sides, and maybe even put a touch of Blue pearl on the white paint. I think that would look KILLER. Do a few sketched with some colored pencils.

Thanks and awesome so far...
:biggrin:

I see you got the firewall Silver. If I were doing it, I would go White and Silver 2 -tone with a Blue pinstripe separating the colors and that will tie the interior in. Do the White top and Silver sides, and maybe even put a touch of Blue pearl on the white paint. I think that would look KILLER. Do a few sketched with some colored pencils.

Thanks and awesome so far...
:biggrin:

That does sound sweet...I might play around with that idea...Ive always liked the white regals!

ANYWAYS...

Here's a vid of the car running... I started it from a dead cold. EFI seems to be getting better. It may be running a bit rich yet but I haven't had the car on the road other than going to the station for some petrol so hopefully that clears up a bit. Sorry about the squeaks in the vid but they weren't there till I uploaded to 'tube...

‪Buick "RDOAKTV" Regal 455_CAR_072511.wmv‬‏ - YouTube

Back