My progress thread...

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
Don't get all excited guys, not too much but its what I've been doing. I'll be updating from time to time.

well my pics are waaaay to big. Let me try to figure that out and I'll have about 8 or so to post.

Resizing pics for export...

If you don't have one - Here's a free program I use downloaded from Google:

Picasa

HTH - I'd like to see your progress.
dwall

trying to resize them on my camera, then it died, LOL. Hopefully it works. Wish I could figure out the "voice memo" function and have it work on the thread, that would be sweet:cool:

If you are using a photo filing or editing program on your computer.

You need to go smaller on the size or crop unneeded areas of the picture. You may be able to resize again on your camera?

Picasa for example, uses an export feature where you click 'export' on a open picture from your files (maybe in My Pictures folder?). A window comes up asking where you want it (maybe a conveniently labelled folder on your desktop) and what size you want (pixels) on a slider control etc. Trial and error will get you a size that works and that you can generally use for emailing and posting pics.

HTH.

I'll try cutting some more fat and see what happens. Gonna have to wait till tonight though cause the cameras dead again and Igotta go to work. I'll get back on tonight.

chop chop chop-they're done.

Attachments

• SANY0078.JPG
    SANY0078.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 3,484
  • SANY0081.JPG
    SANY0081.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 3,441
  • SANY0089.JPG
    SANY0089.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 3,449
  • SANY0090.JPG
    SANY0090.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 3,426
  • SANY0091.JPG
    SANY0091.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 3,437
I'm posting better rust pics also. THe ones in my previous thread I started I wasn't pleased with. More pics:biggrin: Notice the "temporary floor patch" made from a piece of another rusty floor and fiberglass, LOL! Yeah, that's coming out too.

Attachments

• SANY0092.JPG
    SANY0092.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 3,361
  • SANY0093.JPG
    SANY0093.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 3,389
  • SANY0095.JPG
    SANY0095.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 3,349
  • SANY0096.JPG
    SANY0096.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,302
  • SANY0097.JPG
    SANY0097.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 3,293
And Some More...

The one that has my finger in it is the inside of the car where the mount is rusted. Might even be able to see where I stuck my screwddriver into another soft spot. I hope that's all the rust!

Attachments

• SANY0100.JPG
    SANY0100.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 3,261
  • SANY0101.JPG
    SANY0101.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 3,261
  • SANY0098.JPG
    SANY0098.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 3,257
DAMN BROTHA!!!! Gotta get that rust fixed then your golden! Good job and congrats on the progress so far!!!!! Maybe next year you and I will both have our cars drivable!:biggrin:

An Iowa Meet Up Would Be Cool!

Yup. I get everything done on the shell and it will be smooth sailing after that. I'll just have to blast the door shells I'm getting and blast a few stress cracks that are in the braces under the hood I'm getting also and tack em and grind them off-if they're that bad. Haven't got any pics yet but he said the cracks on the hood braces aren't that big of a deal but if I'm going this far I figure just as well. Wish I could find a rust free floor to cut out but I'll probably just bend over and buy new. Seems like when you cut a used floor out they tend to lose some shape (happened twice already). Don't know how great the frames gonna go cause I don't really wanna pull the drivetrain back out. I was thinking about going with an aluminum core support also but I can get a regular one for free, just gotta go take it off and blast it. I'm gonna pull as much off the firewall as possible except for probably the hood cable and a few other things and just tape them off. As long as I get the surface rust gone, I'm gonna shoot it before it goes back on the frame. The rest of the car we're gonna try doing in one shot in pieces for no tape lines. Haven't decided if I'm gonna go por15 on the frame or paint. The front part of the frame I painted when the motor appears to be holding up well. I also noticed my rear main leaks:mad: . So far this don't seem like too big of a money pit yet, until I think about the little things like dew sweeps, "straight" blackout trim, and WEATHERSTRIPPING! Already got a green light to start another project when this gets done if all ends well, but not allowed to buy until then:( . I'm thinking white or silver T with blackout trim and grey bench interior. ASTROROOF would be a nice touch. Well guys, I'm gonna test my ambition and head back out to the garage. Check back tomorrow.

ugh!

Well got everything undone to the best of my knowledge and scooted the car and turned it the other way-all on a jack:rolleyes: . zipped the body bolts out. Got another body mount broke. Its the very back one on the passenger side. 10 bolts all together, right? Hopefully I can get a crew assembled to help raise it up tomorrow. Still gotta drop the car back on the ground. Frame didn't look too ovaled out from what I could tell. Gonna be interesting to see what it all looks like where that frame was sitting. How high does the body have to be to scoot the frame out? I planned on taking the back tires off, will that be enough?

FOund more rust holes on the pass side inner quarter well on the bottom. I don't think I could possibly run into any more problems. I hope it's accessible to where I can cut and patch that also beings its just on the bottom. Well anyway, got the car up a ways. Almost had a fwe incidents with the cherry picker chain magically unhooking itself from the car but other than that it just went slower than hell. Went to all the trouble of building a makeshift cradle for the rockers cause I was scared the jack was gonna smuck 'em up. Turns out that's the only solid part on the car cause I slid a jack under just to test it and it jacked right up, no problems. SO I think I got about 4-5 inches and I can runa board across the front floors and clear the tranny. I also gotta get a board long enough to stretch from one side to the other so I set it on stands and roll the frame out. Gonna try doing it with just the rear tires off. I'll get some pics when I get everythiing off and situated. Oh, the bolt on the back that was spinning, I hooked the cherry picker up to the back and put pressure on it and got it out. That's probably gonna be the last easy thing I do:rolleyes:

Oh, that bagging and tagging feeling

usetaboost, nice work. i have been at my 87 TR for a while now. I picked up the call with an original 32,000 miles. The car sat in one location (outside) for 14 years. I just pulled all the body bolts and will pull the body next weekend. I need rear floor pans, i'm thinking about gbodyparts.com. How about you? Click the link to see my progress.

.Mac Web Gallery

Fun stuff. Oh! my dad has a 3,000 mile GNX #226.

Luke

Don't Get Discouraged!!!!

It can be at times. Removing the back wheels should give enough clearance. We did not have jack stands high enough or would have gone that route. As for boards, we used 4X4"'s. I mentioned in another thread the POR floor pan kit. Try it, best $145.50 spent on my project. The fiber and silver POR add strength and knock out the rust like nobody's business. I used it very liberally, especially in the rocker area. Also, grab plenty of tubes of the POR filler, comes in real handy. I would stongly suggest the POR. It does exactly what they say it will and comes out looking like it was sprayed. It is possibly the messiest stuff I have ever encountered and if you get it on you, you will be wearing it for a while, but overall a great product.

Keep on mining that rust, before you know it it will be gone!! :biggrin:

Had this exact problem, discovered it during a blowout driving the car home from seller. We used a panel from a chevy silverado. Fit great. I have pics of the repair process if I can find them. I will try to get them to you.

Attachments

• SANY0090[1].JPG
    SANY0090[1].JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 3,165
  • DSC00747.JPG
    DSC00747.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 3,164
I had to replace my doors. I used a set of Cutlass doors on my car. Then before I threw the old doors away I cut metal out out of the bottom of the doors and used it to fix this area of the car.

Hey that's n0ta bad idea! My passenger side may be able to be repaired by a GOOD body man but I consider my driver's door trash so that's where I'll get my patch metal from if I don't get hooked up with the patches I need. I've decided I'm gonna do all the rust patches before I put the body back on. Makes sense beings it will be up higher and easier to work with.

LukeC, is it the floor behind the rear seat that's shot? If so it will be easy to find those of another Gbody. If its the upper part where the seat sits you might wanna end up fabbing that up or finding a parts car to cut it off of. I gotta fab the body brace, its gonna be a long grueling process I'm sure. I'm gonna have to start practice welding ina few weeks. Havern't touched ANY welder since high school-but there was a fwe times I could do better than the teacher:biggrin:

Usetaboost, its the foot wells in the rear, seems to be common on these cars. I want to do the job right so i'm considering replacement pans, gbodyparts have the whole left and right sides for about $500, maybe when i halve them i can sell off the front pans.

V8 assassin, when you used the por-15 filler will that close up wholes the size of a dime? My rear floorpans have three dime size holes and the reast are pin holes. I what to try and get a factory look when i'm done.

Luke