My restoration progress begins...

man do I feel bad for you with those floor pans:(
How did you drop your frame tho.. did you use a lift or jack stands?:confused: any suggestions/info would help. Thanks

The floor pans aren't as bad as they look in the pics besides the DS front, which Ive already got the patch section set aside. It won't be fun but it shouldn't be too bad either as long as I don't get in a rush.

As for removing the frame:

Step 1 - Jack car up and put it on jackstands - all four corners ON THE FRAME.
Step 2 - Attach engine hoist to the trunk latch thingy ( inside trunk, not on the lid ) and supply a little bit of tension.
Step 3 - Lower rear end down and slide it out from the side ( works best with no wheels :) )
Step 4 - Remove body mount bolts.
Step 5 - Cut a few 2x6 or 8's to fit between rocker panel rails ( right behind the front cab bushings) and supply some tension with a floor jack.
Step 6 - Slowly work the jack and hoist up till you have the two seperated. Now with a third jack you slowly work your way around till you can lower the frame to the floor removing jack stands and replacing them under the body mount locations with a small block of 2x4. Then you'll slide the frame out from underneath body, occasionally have to jack the body up and moving the stand till you can clear and replace it.

Hopefully that makes sense :) It helped that I had 4 of the wheel/car dolley things that I lowered the frame on so I could roll it out as opposed to dragging it out. If you have a lift that needs installed though I would highly suggest you work on that project first! I would kill for a lift right now but I do not have the head height required :(

Good luck either way!!!

oh thats good than because I would be a little frustrated if I had those floor pans:eek: haha but what car is that just wondering. And yea that deffinately helps alot and If it comes down to me using the jack stand I will be using your method but I would rather much use the lift as well. And dont feel left out by the height, I had to fabricate and make some adjustments myself to make sure the lift will fit. Any other advise/comments/info please let me know guys! Thanks:biggrin:

My buick is an 81 Sport Coupe w/ T's. Currently building a 464ci Big Buford for it. Im hoping to have a 12sec street car, thats my goal.

Thats sweet, not too many of those around especially none with that motor;)
IM doing the same trying to build a 10 sec. street car to go to the shows and stuff like that but with a 87' GN.

Anyone know where I can find a diagram to of where all the body mounts and also what else I have to disconnect to drop my frame? Let me know and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks:cool:

Anyone know where I can find a diagram to of where all the body mounts and also what else I have to disconnect to drop my frame? Let me know and any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks:cool:

Brake lines need to be loosened at the proportioning valve or master cylinder, fuel lines will need to be unhooked from your motor and parking brake lines need to be unhooked.

As for the body mounts they're will be no more than 14 in total and chances are you may only have 12 but there will be two under the core support ( if your removing prior to dropping frame ) and then there will be two right at the front of the shell, one on both sides and then just work your way back from there till you've removed them all. Once you pull the ones at the front of the shell you'll know what your looking for. If for some reason you still can't figure where there at, there is a diagram on one of these sites but I don't have the link here at work. Maybe someone else will chime in with it.

Word to the wise, soak the s*it out of them with some deep creep / pb blaster and let them sit overnight. It should help some of the slightly more crusty ones. I broke two of the bolts off and now have to cut some access holes in the body ( seems to be fairly common so be prepared )!!

So brake lines, fuel lines and parking brake disconnected. Got it. Anything else besides the mounts or no thats it? And Yea im pretty sure I do not have the Gnx mounts but I will be adding them once I put it back together. And I should spray the bolts with which stuff to help me better?
Also anyone with the link/picture for the mounts would be so helpful. Thanks guys:biggrin:

I thought they did but I have been looking for it and have not seemed to find it, I guess I will just have to look harder haha:cool:

Sorry havent been on here too much, I am still collecting parts as I go and right now its tough to do anything to my GN:frown: because I work two jobs and go to school full time but I am off for a month and half for christmas so I am going to try and get as much done as possible. I am really depressed this is taking too long. I wish I could just drive her already :mad: I need to start working on it!!! and this weekend I will try and get you the pics of the brakee upgrade I did and tell me what you guys think/suggestions. Thanks:)

Looks like you're doing a teriffic job. Great work. Lots of work, too. But sure looks like you're progressing real well. Congrats. Keep it up. Don't give up.
Keep a your medicine cabinet well stocked with banages.:tongue: Love the stainless braided brake lines. Now I want a set.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks guys, Yea im trying to save as much as possible for her, I just keep getting stuck buying **** for my gf and school, Just doing the best I can so I can do it right. And the brakes look good, I will prob upgrade these brakes though before I even put any miles on them:frown: I want disk all the way around so eventually I will prob. change everything, Im also looking now for complete SS fuel lines and brake lines, if anybody knows where I can get them, I would appreciate. Thanks:biggrin: