My Rock Racer project - be constructive please

TURNEROFFROAD

Well I thought I'd post up a little about my project. I'm building a sort of do-all Rock Racer/Hill Climber, Trail Rig. I'll post pictures as I go, but about the engine

Series II 3800 with 8.0 comp Diamond pistons
Iron cylinder heads Heavily worked over with 130# valve springs
powdered rods and ARP everything
camshaft is a turbo cam specs--- duration @ .050": 226º/218º, lobe lifts: .343"/.346", valve lifts with 1.60:1 rocker arms: .549"/.553", lobe separation angle: 116º, intake centerline: 110º
running l26 upper intake
my turbocharger is a Holset HE551v varible specs are -

Compressor
Inducer 71.75mm
Exducer 108.1mm

Turbine
Inducer 86mm
Exducer 75mm

exhaust housing starts at a 16cm and goes to a 36cm

I have a few questions for you guys who are more expierenced with this engine and boost
I was planning on 60# injectors in the l26 set of injector bosses and another set of "?" in the bosses in the cylinder head with a FMU of some sort for when under boost.

I have Hp tuners on the way as well, but curious to know what boost controller and FMU is most commonly used

I know theres a LOT I haven't mentioned , but I'd love some input and helpful insight... Thanks again for the help

2 cents

Personally I think for an off road, hill climber I would use a supercharged 3800. The turbo might be a pain spooling up. The SC is there pretty much off idle. Post some pics

There's lots of lurkers on the board. As you can tell by my post count I'm not one of them. I was watching to see where it went and it seemed like an interesting set up. One other thing to remember is the last week people have been getting ready for the 4th so holidays can interfier with soeone reading a post.

Personally I think for an off road, hill climber I would use a supercharged 3800. The turbo might be a pain spooling up. The SC is there pretty much off idle. Post some pics

I do some tuning on a friends 3800 sc crawler and he loves the engine , its a stock internals with very minor bolt ons rig. started with just intake and tuning and it went decent , then got him to start blending some e85 so we could pulley down without having to spend much money on supporting mods.

it runs a 3.4 pulley with a front powerlog (drivers side in this case longitudinal) on 25% e and it outruns another identical chassis /gearing rig with a 6 liter

the l67/l32 short blocks can handle enough boost to make serious power in stock form , zzp has run 8.6@159 on a stock factory assembled short block other than cam & chain in a street driven ( occasionally) fwd grand prix

heres my buddys rig after a little tuning session out in the woods behind my house:

Photo0193.jpg

Photo0192.jpg

I think a 71mm turbo is going to be way to big for what you are going to want. It will have very poor low end and make 800hp on full tilt. I think in a rock crawler that turbo is going to be hard if not impossible to control.

60# injectors are WAY to small for that turbo

As far as WG it will depend on you headers and how you set it up. I take it you are going to fabricate your own headers?

No reason to even consider a FMU.

The HPtuners should be fine I would be running in SD.

I like the cam specs but I dont think I would run it with a SC.

Thanks for the input guys, I just got off the phone with a 3800 Guru that said " you'll be seeing boost by 3000rpm and likely full boost by 3500-4k rpm ". That being said I'll run a 25-2800 stall and have a trail driven rig until I stab the throttle. Most of the guys I wheel with are around 180-240 horse only a fwe of us running big power

Hopefully I can have my cake and eat it too!!!

Will a 25, 50, 75 horse shot aid in spool up? If so. How much sooner ( I might want this for the competitions)

A few pictures of the engine

cefffd04-ae4d-eccd.jpg

cefffd04-ae5f-5ca8.jpg

cefffd04-ae7a-e5b2.jpg

cefffd04-aeb2-9c50.jpg

shows part of my Hot pipe setup, I'll flapper-wheel all the welds and install V-bands and then send it to Jet-Hot for ceramic coating.

you can see the physical size of my turbo, kinda looks funny when it's in position LOL

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-JyWvfLMdzk

A little video of some of what's in store for this Buick powered rig... Enjoy

Damn

a few pictures of the engine

cefffd04-ae4d-eccd.jpg

cefffd04-ae5f-5ca8.jpg

cefffd04-ae7a-e5b2.jpg

cefffd04-aeb2-9c50.jpg

shows part of my hot pie setup, i'll flapper-wheel all the welds and instal v-bands and then send it to jet-hot for ceramic coating.

You can see the physical size of my turbo, kinda looks funny when it's in position lol

thats a big bitch .turbo that is .. Gonna mount it as a counter balance ? Wholy chit batman .. Im in [ subscribed ]

I got a bit more done on my hot pipes this weekend and been working on my wiring harness ( in the AC ) some. I'd really like to think I will hear it run in a few weeks...

That snail is going to be entirely too big. There is no need to use the injector bosses in both the LIM and heads. One or the other will suffice fine for your needs, it would only ass headache.

If you going for a climber/crawler, I would look more for a 60trim turbo. I have instant spool when I touch the pedal on my L67 setup with a 3200 convertor and the TE60.

I am not sure what 3800 guru you were talking to, but I highly doubt you will be seeing boost with that turbo by 3k rpm, esp with that tight of a TC. That being said, the L67 is a much more efficient engine all around and they can run larger turbos much more easily than the oldschool LC2.

Interested to see this when it is all buttoned up, should be a beast from a roll : - P

What say ye about running water/meth injection in the extra injector holes ( gotta plug em with something right! )

I do have an intercooler
63677bf3-6a2f-6ffc.jpg

Was designed to a Fox body. But it'll fit where I have room

Finally got a lil done, it's been hot and I've been bizy with the family

a6cd0b08-e6c6-5228.jpg

a6cd0b08-e6d8-7b9e.jpg

a6cd0b08-e6ec-e513.jpg

Almost ready to grind and smooth all the welds, install V-bands and send to JetHot for a thermal coating inside and ceramic on the outside.