My Rock Racer project - be constructive please

A bit of an update.... I bought some Racetronix 120# injectors and a injector driver module. I have added an additional crawl box for the ultra slow stuff which will allow me to go with a more suitable converter.... going 3000rpm stall

thought i'd share a few of the build pix of the chassis and the "sheetmetal" 2.5 ton Rockwell axles....

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 2CHASSIS.jpg
    2CHASSIS.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 232
  • chassis.jpg
    chassis.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 254
Been a while but glad to see you back on again. The turbo is almost as big as the engine in those pics. LOL

A lot more info is needed here.
What is the typical objective with one of these?
Where will the engine spend most of its time?
Converter?
Id probably go with a smaller cam and run about .015-.020 less lift if i was planning on running those spring pressures and wanted to make any power over 5500/20psi.
You will need a different turbo all together. That isnt even close to what you should be using for any hyd cammed engine that wont be revved over 6000 rpm. That cam will make peak power around 5400. Kind of an odd ball grind with a lot of lobe seperation and 6* advance ground in. Based on what the guru said right away you should know theres a problem since the power band with that cam will be about 1000rpm higher than where this thing would spool according to him. Id build it with a much smaller turbine/compressor and use a camshaft with less duration and set a goal of around 500whp. If everyone else has half that you should have no problem and that might need to be turned down to control it.

Thanks for the input, a few more details I guess I didn't post up

I'm using a 3000 stall and as far as the cam goes, I shopped for large turbo cams and this was the largest one I found for a series II engine at the time

I hope to spin this engine to 6800 rpm. I'm more worried about the 3-6800rpm range of performance

I also forgot to mention, the guys I'm competing with are small and big block guys that are between 450-700 horsepower

I want to be different at all the competitions we go too. And not just have a Chevy V8. Hopefully I can get 500+ wheel horsepower out of all this...

well, I've listened to the voice of reason (sorta LOL) I've decided to go with the He351vgt (60mm compressor wheel) for INSTANT spool... I am going to run 110 octane fuel and am kinda wondering how much power I can make? I feel as long as the temps are good and knock is under control 28-30psi is reasonable on the engine I've got. Again It'll be awful short burst at a time (65,100, 200 yard dashes at most)

whats the concensus here ?

I really like the project so far but I don't think you quite understand the turbo thing yet.

While the chevy's may be making 500 HP the Buick engine will out do them in torque. That's one of the reasons that the GN out performed a lot of cars and still does. If you set everything up right you won't need to go to 30PSI. A lot of cars are getting plenty of power at 22-25 PSI.

I sincerely hope those are not stock front manifolds that have been chopped and modified to use as the basis for your header piping. If so, you have just severely limited the amount of power that engine will ever make. I would stop now, and rebuild the headers if this is the case.

I used a stock front manifold on my old regal gs when I had it turbo, it was p/p and coated, but was still less than ideal. And I was only running 18 psi max. With my L67 gn, I haven't been over 19psi to date. Next season I am going to dial it in around 22psi, but that is about my comfortable limit on a stock block.

I have yet to see good results with either the diamond or je pistons made for these blocks, so I wish you luck. Soon as somebody proves one of them is a viable option, then I will begin my built block. Until then, it will be a stock 100k block in my tanker : - )

I sincerely hope those are not stock front manifolds that have been chopped and modified to use as the basis for your header piping. If so, you have just severely limited the amount of power that engine will ever make. I would stop now, and rebuild the headers if this is the case.

I used a stock front manifold on my old regal gs when I had it turbo, it was p/p and coated, but was still less than ideal. And I was only running 18 psi max. With my L67 gn, I haven't been over 19psi to date. Next season I am going to dial it in around 22psi, but that is about my comfortable limit on a stock block.

I have yet to see good results with either the diamond or je pistons made for these blocks, so I wish you luck. Soon as somebody proves one of them is a viable option, then I will begin my built block. Until then, it will be a stock 100k block in my tanker : - )

yep that's what they are, I was hoping to keep the heat and increase exhaust velocity by running them....:eek:

...soooo these Pistons don't "hold up" ???? what in the world does a fellow run in there then?

Thanks for stopping in.... and thanks for the info

You will def keep the heat running them. Did you at least port match them as much as possible? I cannot see these getting near 500whp, but I have been wrong before.

I've seen premature wear on those pistons with minimal time. And that is on a fully built engine by a reputable builder in the 3800 community. Could have been the earlier batches tho, who knows.

Then manifolds will still perform to a good level, but if its big numbers your after I would change them out. You shouldn't have an issue getting over 400whp with them tho, as it has been done before

There's a very good thread in the general section of the forum about putting a Series II engine in a GN. Not a lot of mods and just after putting it all together he was running low 11's right off the bat. I believe the OP may be able to help you with any questins you might have about making power with the engine.

You will def keep the heat running them. Did you at least port match them as much as possible? I cannot see these getting near 500whp, but I have been wrong before.

I've seen premature wear on those pistons with minimal time. And that is on a fully built engine by a reputable builder in the 3800 community. Could have been the earlier batches tho, who knows.

Then manifolds will still perform to a good level, but if its big numbers your after I would change them out. You shouldn't have an issue getting over 400whp with them tho, as it has been done before

Man I did port match them and would have thought that only usin the bare minimum of them and transitioning to a larger tube ( yet still thick wall for heat retention) would have been "ok". Maybe not. I could have certainly gone with a big tube header style setup... I just "thought " the heat and velocity would've been more important than overall flow

You fellas school me

Well, I'm glad you switched to a smaller turbo. Holy moly. That monster on a rock crawler? Yikes. I like the advice on the smaller cam.
What are the exhaust system specs? Diameters, lengths? I don't like the log deal. You could easily create a more efficient exhaust system, I'm sure.

Well, I'm glad you switched to a smaller turbo. Holy moly. That monster on a rock crawler? Yikes. I like the advice on the smaller cam.
What are the exhaust system specs? Diameters, lengths? I don't like the log deal. You could easily create a more efficient exhaust system, I'm sure.

If you didn't watch the videos y'all ought too, it'll explain a little of the desire for the large effective rpm range the larger cam will hopefully afford me ( I want it to be able to pull HARD all the way to 7200rpm).
My exhaust setup is thick wall 2" id , I had hoped this setup would flow good and retain the heat because of packaging. I could do a tubular header setup but it just doesn't seem like I could get it all as compact ( the front end is kinda bizy with the Coilovers/and coilover towers as well as the intercooler and dual power steering pumps and coolers....)

Please keep it coming I'm listening and have started on the T4 to He341v adapter plate...

Ty, did you get the links I PM'd to you? The down pipe needs to be at least 2.5" and you can us 2" for part of the system to the turbo but using 2" for the whole thing will restrict what you're trying to do.

I tried to watch the videos, but all that comes up is a page that has a choice of different videos. Which video do you want us to watch?