You can type here any text you want

My Weld Pro Stars rattle

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
My front two 15x7 Weld Pro Stars (circa 1999) rattle like heck going over small bumps. I thought it was the center caps at first, so I was going to deal with it when I did my Hydroboost conversion back in July. This might be a bit hard to describe, but there is an aluminum insert sandwiched in the wheel for the lugs and hub to pass through. This is loose on both fronts and it rattles incessantly. Is this supposed to be loose at all? If it can't be fixed, I may have to pull the trigger on the Torque Thrust II wheels I want. :)

My superlites have the same design as your wheels and rattle when they are off the car. But they are tight when torqued to spec on the car.

You need to measure the thickness of the wheel at those lugs. Then measure the length of the shank of your lug nuts. Sometimes those lug nuts are too long, bottom out (making you think they are tight) and then the wheel is not sandwiched. This will allow the spacers to rattle. Make sense?

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I have 80 ft/lbs on mine. I will check again to be sure. It may not be that insert, but it sure sounds like it.:mad:

You need to measure the thickness of the wheel at those lugs. Then measure the length of the shank of your lug nuts. Sometimes those lug nuts are too long, bottom out (making you think they are tight) and then the wheel is not sandwiched. This will allow the spacers to rattle. Make sense?

Excellent point and that makes perfect sense. I will check that too!

I would think 80 ft/lbs would sandwich the insert pretty tightly? You are using the correct lugnuts with the washer, right?

Well, I am using the lugs and washers that came with them (used set). I will double check everything tonight unless the wife has planned otherwise. :)

Squid said exactly what I was going to. That's the only thing that could be rattling on that wheel design. I wanna say that style wheel takes a 1/2" shank but that's just going off memory. You should be able to look it up online.

I ve seen a couple people drill and tap a small hole from the backside in between each lug and install a screw tohelp the spacer from moving around and making noise-I ended up buying a set of xppro stars from weld with solid billet center sections elimnating the rattle problem.

I've seen a couple people drill and tap a small hole from the backside in between each lug and install a screw tohelp the spacer from moving around and making noise.

Makes sense, but shouldn't the wheel being tightened down (using correct lug nuts) prevent any noise?

I ended up buying a set of xppro stars from weld with solid billet center sections elimnating the rattle problem.

Go ahead and send me a set. ;)

these on the front ??? what size are they ??? I'd take em off and look them over good for cracks on the inside and outside. I have a set here being used for a hose reels :mad:

Attachments

• tirerack1.JPG
    tirerack1.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 158
these on the front ??? what size are they ??? I'd take em off and look them over good for cracks on the inside and outside. I have a set here being used for a hose reels :mad:

He says they are 7's in the first post...I never had a problem with my 7's, were yours skinny's Grumpy?

EDIT - They clicked while driving, but not rattled I believe because I over torqued them a few times.

Back