N/A - Suggestions

W

WH185

I am about to start building on my latest project, an 86 regal limited. I have an 85 t-type, but I want to see how far I can push a 3.8 n/a engine.

I already have an 87' 109 block, a rolled fillet crank, lots of rods and several sets of 8445 heads. I'm going to shotpeen a set of stock rods, and home port a set of heads. I'm also going with replacing the two center caps with billet steel ones. And I'll be running a 2004r tranny.

For pistons I'm definately going forged, just need to pick the cr, i'm thinking 9.5:1 . Should still be low enough for 93 octane?

Cam should be something in the 218/218 range, looking for suggestions.

Intakes?, All I've been able to find is a weiand single plane, and the edelbrock dualplane. Does anyone else make one? Which would be best?

Exhaust?, I'm totaly open on this.

Ignition?, I'm not running the computer, does anyone make a distributor and hi-po ignition system for the buick 3.8?

And I will be running a dual stage NO2 setup. Up to a 200 shot.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I want to get everything mapped out before I just start buying parts. A good combo is the key.

Keep in mind this car will only ocassionally be steet driven. So things like gas mileage, comfort and emissions are not a concern.

My goal is to be able to get into the low 13's, maybe better.:cool:

Did you know your 86 NA already has a 109 block and the 8445 heads? You shouldn't have to shot peen the rods as the turbos use the same rods and there are plenty of guys running 500-600 HP with untouched stockers. MSD offers a distributor for the NA. I've never reached the power levels you are shooting for so I cant offer much other than try to find one of the Buick Power Source Manuals or V-6 Performance by Pat Ganahl or The Buick Free Spirit Power Manual books out there. These are out of publication so you have to keep an eye out on eBay for them.

Eric Fisher

Well since you are trying to do it N/A with a carb, I would have to tell you to go buy desktop dyno to figure out what is possible and what cams are the best. The program will pay for itself just by selecting the right cam the first time around. If you don't lie to the program, it won't lie to you. Gotta love it.

PM me for details

been there- done that,i got an almost new exhaust with ceramic headers and true dual cat back system.i put about $3000. into the motor and only got about 200 horses out of it-5 mpg more though, kenne bell cam,hi rev lifters,#1 manifold,quadrajet off a 307 v8 recalibrated-the motor worked very well-sounded like a big block chevy-put about 14k miles on it and decided to convert to a turbo.if your gonna put all that work and money into it would be nice to have some good results.if you re interested in any of my parts let me know-very nogotiable.

Dude,

You don't honestly think you'll be cruising down the BQE with a 300 HP engine do ya? :rolleyes:

Here's my hook-up.....KB mark 1 cam, oil booster plate, oil gears, hi-rev lifters, bored .030 over, re-cut crank w/Ruggles suggestions, KB 9.5 CR pistons, 4.1 intake, Roe modified Q-jet, ported, polished, Poston's oversized intake valves, stock ECM, no duel exhaust yet....and MSD ignition. Toal cost $1300.00. Total horsepower on my Desk top Dyno 168 HP@3500 RPMs.

I did all the work of course other than farming out the machining, ($900.00). The differance was in parts.

$3000.00 is way over. Did someone do the work for you?

Anyway I agree.....turbo is the way to go on this 2200 lbs Regal bohemoth if you really want low end torque power.

Or maybe even a 350/455 Buick engine? You can't even touch that. But stay away from turns.....I guess NYC is not the place
for a kick-ass V-8 G-body unless you're out on a suicide pact. ;)

the motor was totally rebuilt using 9.5 hypertectics,high volume oil pump with new front cover,headman headers,msd ignition,kb low lift 420 cam,high rev lifters,kb wires,level 10 350 trans and a 9" 350 ford rear,trans cooler etc. the motor only has 14k miles so its gonna be a good candidate for a turbo conversion.

Pretty much like mine all KB...9.5 hypertectics, high volume oil pump...except the wires, headers, cover. My trans 350 and rear gears are stock.

I think a turbo conversion is gonna break your wallet. You're better off buying a Turbo engine. Cheaper... :confused:

Sell what you got or trade...a beefy N/A on a custom rod or a small Vega/Monza kicks ass. :D :cool:

Alright I used my buddies desktop dyno program.

Looks like with just some pocket porting, stock valves, 8:1 pistons, a 284/292 cam, (advertised duration), headers and a dual plane intake you can get into the 225/230 hp range. A single plane gets you a little above 250 hp.

9:1 pistons would get you about another 15 hp. But you can get strong 8:0 pistons alot cheaper than 9:1.

Throw a 100 shot of N02 at the same engine and you get 375 ft/lb tq @ 3000 rpm.

Hit the switch for 150 shot second stage and you get 380 hp @ 6000.

A single plane with the same setup will get you 368 ft/lb tq @ 3000 rpm and 401 hp @ 6000 rpm.

I am going to start getting prices from local machine shops tomorrow.:D

Anyone know where I can get a single plan intake?