You can type here any text you want

NA 3.8 Power on a Budget

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
You can get the power from the na think of it like your building a sb chevy.I have a 260cu.in s2 pulling 580 dyno hp @1100 ft.Runs 10.38@ 128 1/4 car @3150#has 1050 carb and could handle more.Now you know what could be done..... :eek:

Godd stuff guys. I posted a while back, and didn't get much response. We were trying to do the same thing. There is a book by Jim Ruggles on how the build the N/A buick V6. In this he is getting almost one horsepower per cubic inch with a 4.1, stock 4bbl intake, and 8.53:1 compression. Because of this is seemed to me that the project would be doable. I figured the single plane intake from weiand (Smokey designed) and some high compression pistons and it would be ready to roll.

Hit the wall with high compression pistons, as there are none easily available.

I see there is a guy on here with a set...

Skip all the failures -drill an oil return hole in the block and put a turbo on it!

49-blues said:
Skip all the failures -drill an oil return hole in the block and put a turbo on it!
Unless you are talking a carbed turbo, there is far, far more work to get the power out of it. Fuel system, electronics..... This is on the back burner for me right now but I'll keep watching this as it sounds like a great info bank for later maybe.

Yeah its Necroposting but its my thread so I'll bring it back.
I have found a '78 Regal with a V6 and a 4spd and we all know about turbos and sticks so I'm not going that route. I'm debating between potentially replacing the stock but sick V6 with:
1) a '64 300 Buick V8 in bone stockness since I'm probably going to have one laying around after I rob the oilpan
2) another 3.8L V6 from the yard for dirt cheap
3) same story with a 4.1
4) one of the above V6's built with my spares from my boosted 4.1L build, ie home ported bigger valve heads, EFI intake, Edelbrock 214-214 cam kit...
5) My 8.3:1 compression boosted motor in NA form to debug the L67 computer and the rest of the motor

Realistically 1 and 5 make the most sense since I don't have to buy anything more than detail pieces like a V8 flywheel, 3.8L NA exhauste manifolds...ect but how much power do you think #4 would make?

Thanks,

At the fly, or rear wheel?. How much does your car weigh also?
I'm very interested in your progress. I have always been an N/A 231 fan my whole life. Although I used to be decent in the standard issue carbed sbc's (who isnt in the motor city) But Ive always preferred experimenting with underdog projects. Id love to undertake another LD5 rebuild now that I have way more talent, than back then. (10 years ago)
Quick question. I know yours is a stick but, say it wasnt. Would a higher stall converter help an N/A be a little more peppy, rather than a lower rear end gear? Or would the opposite be better.

Weight? I don't know, probably standard low option Regal weight of around 3400lbs as the earliest of these car I believe are the lightest.
High stall would be annoying but probably make it feel more peppy but the car would roll on hills and be pedaled hard from a stop. The rear gears will make it feel zippier off the line but it will run out of steam sooner with the higher revs. That is my impression though, I'm not an expert.

i would go with a turbo also but try to get a 79 - setup
i have a 225 in my 65 and a na 3.8 aint going to go better with out a strong can and compression increase
also dont use a turbo carb on a na motor as the enrichment valve will never open correctly since it is made to sense intake boost not just vacuum
rebuild the 225 with a cam,porting,headers,intake and carb(64 should be 1 barrel)
i think a 78 turbo has the same intake ports as the 225
5 psi boost plus the 9 to1 comp(factory) will make some torque

For me? Yeah, somewhat. The 78 4spd car is just too much money for the amount of work it needs and too far away. I found an '82 Wagon for $800 already wearing GN wheels and most of a smashed GN sitting in the back as an abandoned project with a 3.8L V6 and a TH350C trans. That will be keeping the stock TH350C unless I convert it to a manual and getting my 4.1 with the EFI system and no turbo to work the kinks out of my OBDII L67 EFI system. It will then probably host my EFI Nailhead or the 3.8 with another L36 EFI system then finally end up with a 300 with an EFI system off of a 305 Vortec motor. Its my engineering mule and this is years out.

Back