Name some obscure US Produced Car Models made during the 1980s

Woah, I'd never heard of those:redface: but I did see one rolling around SoCal (Garden Grove IIRC) one day a few years ago. I thought the guy just stickered up a 'Camo. Hey Draggin, there are at least 18 in that factory pic that I counted, that's more than the production # the site lists:confused:

Alan

Yeah, I noticed that too. :confused:

The diesel Chevette with the VW engine and the VW powered Dodge Omni / Plymouth Horizons come to mind.
How about the 1983 Corvette, only one made and now it's in the Corvette Museum.
Not true. I was in a car show with one. Forget the details but the guy proved it with all his paperwork. Until then I was unaware they even had an 83 corvette

1989 pontiac turbo trans am:smile:

A WINNER

Send me email to denniskirban@yahoo.com with name & address to send you prize...

The Turbo TA basically had two options T Tops which most had...and leather.....however here is a case where less options (solid roof) and (cloth gut)
would be worth more to collectors.....

I am sure if you google it you can determine the numbers produced of the 1500 plus that were hardtops with leather and hard tops with cloth....

Keep in mind as a winner you are not eligible for the next one...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Next mini contest:

Will post it sometime tonite after 6 pm......

About the super rare 1983 Corvette....

This lack of production was due to the fact they moved the plant from Missouri to its new home in Bowling Green, Kentucky.....with getting emissions done etc they kinda missed the boat.....just as well since those mid 1980s Corvettes really have not held their value compared to our cars....

I think they cut the 1983 one in half and its on the wall at Bowling Green.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I think however they did produce 2.....experts can verify this?

Probably reposts but anyways...

Guy in town has a 88 or so Buick Riviera T type. White with a blackout package. Real cool actually. Decent shape.

Olds made the 80 442, based off the 78-80 salons. Most had a chev 305 for some reason, and some had the olds 260. There was some with manuals. Theres one sitting in a salvage yard a few hours away from me.

Mid 80's GMC caballero conquista, older lady owns one in town thats in nice shape. Wouldnt mid owning actually.

i seen the 83 vette in person it is a complete car a little rough but complete, i think i read 44 were built and used for crash and performance testing, gm had all of them destroyed but were able to save 1 :eek:
notice the oddball rims
and also 81 was when they moved to bowling green, production overlapped in each plant.
and did anybody know that it used to be chryslers climate control plant.

1983-corvette-museum.jpg

Already been mentioned the McLaren/ACS Mustangs/Capris but remember that there also 87-90 body style McLaren Mustangs. I believe the windshield was raked back some.

HPIM1741.jpg

HPIM1733.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

i seen the 83 vette in person it is a complete car a little rough but complete, i think i read 44 were built and used for crash and performance testing, gm had all of them destroyed but were able to save 1 :eek:
notice the oddball rims
and also 81 was when they moved to bowling green, production overlapped in each plant.
and did anybody know that it used to be chryslers climate control plant.

View attachment 108447

Don't they also have one cut in half down the side hanging on the side of the building or something? I may be confusing it with some thing else...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Next contest:

last winner not eligible.....keep it to 2 guesses per post. This one is rather easy. Read all the clues carefully lst correct post to match MY answer wins.

In most cases every car company prints their sales brochures and literature for the next car model year in advance of the actual car/model. Then if needed they do updates/corrections etc.

During the 1980s time frame this happened on a certain car model. Literature stated it would be such and such a year and for whatever reason this vehicle I am thinking of was released the following year. Which in turn made any promotion material incorrect.

Give me the exact model I AM thinking of.

The clock is ticking......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Was it the Mustang built on a FWD platform? Word got out about it and it was canned. Then returned as the sporty FWD Probe?

Just saw this thread, its a little late, but what about a 1989 Vector W8 twin turbo for the first quiz.

To bring everyone up to speed...no correct answer as of yet thru post 156 for mini contest #2.

1983 Corvette(s) has nothing to do with mini contest #2.

I have reprinted the current mini contest below:

This one is rather easy. Read all the clues carefully lst correct post to match MY answer wins.
I have changed my wording slightly based on what I know was printed on this model.

In most cases every car company prints their sales brochures, literature, etc for the next car model year in advance of the actual car/model. Then if needed they do updates/corrections etc.

During the 1980s time frame this happened on a certain car model. Promotion showed it would be such and such a year and for whatever reason this vehicle I am thinking of was released the following year. Which in turn made any promotion material incorrect.

Give me the exact model I AM thinking of.

The clock is ticking......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Don't forget the cadillacs with the 2-4-8 option that was recalled.

I worked on an 80's caddy with the 4100 v8, aluminum block with cast iron heads and external head bolts that went clear down the outside of the block to the pan rail. I was like WTF? It had a 200-4r with a d5 converter though.

A buddy of mine just bought an 80's cutlass 2dr with a V6 diesel.

Driving thru Compton just last week, I saw a Volare. I know it's a seventies car, but just odd to see. Then further down the road, a Cordoba, as in Ricardo Montalban and "corinthian leather".

I know the Yugos have already been mentioned. At a junk yard one day, this dude walks in wanting them to buy his Yugo. The junk man told him he'd have to pay 50 bucks to take it off his hands. And I'll never forget the sad look on the guy at the auto show representing Yugo, as people walked by laughing at him.