Need advice on new turbo,PT52 blew up!

sixgun86gn

six offender
I need advice on the next turbo I should buy.My PT52 blew the turbine wheel straight into my DP last night at only 16#! I liked the way the 52 spooled and dont want any more lag than it had,but I dont want to go back to another one and have it blow up too.What do you guys use and let me know what my combo needs.I havent heard of the 53s and 54s blowing up,but I have heard about the 51 and52.I just knew it was a matter of time.Keep in mind I do alot of street driving in this car but I know its capable of 11s in street trim.I ran two 8.30 1/8 mi passes last night on Dunlop gt qualifiers,leaving from a dead idle and spinning well past the 60' mark.60's were 2.14 without building boost on the line,I had no sticky tires on.MPH was 87.So you see,I need a turbo that is capable of this kind of performance,with sticky tires and a good launch with boost that would have been 7.50s easy on 16# and 93.Please help guys.Does the 54 have more lag than a 52 or is it the same,I'm afraid a 60 series might have too much lag and a 40 series will spool too fast and blow the tires off.

i would go with a TE-44 from JOHN CRAIG at LIMITED ENGINERING the TE-44 is a EXCELLENT street & strip turbo good luck Rob

I know another guy thats running a te-44 and it spools real fast on a stock converter.Would that thing handle my stall (3200) without blowing the tires off? Seems like a kinda small turbo.

I'd consider a TE-45 as your next turbo. Both PTE, and John Craig build 'em. I believe PTE's is in the on-line catalog around the T64E area. With your converter, it should spool well, but I didn't read your injector size before I started this reply...I wouldn't go this big with less than 50's.
HTH
Jim

A BUDDY OF MINE RAN A TE44 ON HIS CAR WITH A 3000 STALL AND HE LOVED IT HE RAN 11.50 AT 121 IT'S A GOOD ALL AROUND STREET STRIP TURBO FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO DO SEE YA ROB

so would my 50s be pushing my luck with the 45?I dont have enough money to replace injectors and have the ecm modded too.It sounds like a great turbo from other posts ive read.

ASK THE GUY THAT YOU KNOW THAT HAS THE TE44 IF YOU CAN TRY IT OUT AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK IF YOU ARE GOOD FRIENDS WITH HIM LATER ROB

I'm running a Limit Engineering te-61 with a PTE .63 exhaust housing & am VERY happy with it. Haven't been to the track in kill mode yet, but in "play" tune it's run a string of 11.7's@115.5 mph (slicks, street chip, xylene mix, & 19lbs of boost)

This turbo has excellent street manners with my car's combo (206 cam, stock heads, built tranny & 3200 rpm stall "top-hat" converter) & has plenty of juice for 10.7's@ 122+ mph once I get around to tuning my car for KILL mode. :)

Doug C.

Another vote for the 61. It is similar to your 52 almost identical in fact. I picked one up recently from John Craig. I stepped down from a 63 so go with a Craig unit regardless. Good luck!

Call and speak with John @ Limit Engineering.......... Phone # is (928)-453-7321.
HTH:)

Whatever you decide to buy, get it from Limit Engineering. I've broken 2 PTE turbos but ran a Limit TA49 for a couple years with 0 problems.

The TE-44 on mine was built by limit Engineering also, no problem (going on a year) street driven every day. John Craig was ready to answer all my questions and set me up with the right turbo for my application.:)

i just put a LT70-1 on my car and i thought it would be a real pig with only having 2800 converter but really its not that bad.

it actually helps on the street cause the lag it does have just keeps it so it hazes the tires instead of blowing them off.

i would think the te-45 from John Craig would suit your needs and not be too laggy for you.

i was right more and more are coming apart all the time..

Originally posted by sixgun86gn
I need advice on the next turbo I should buy.My PT52 blew the turbine wheel straight into my DP last night at only 16#! I liked with sticky tires and a good launch with boost that would have been 7.50s easy on 16# and 93.Please help guys.Does the 54 have more lag than a 52 or is it the same,I'm afraid a 60 series might have too much lag and a 40 series will spool too fast and blow the tires off. [/QUOTE

Why are you only running 16 psi with a PT52. I thought with the bigger turbos, the only gain over the stocker is at 20+ psi. :confused:

52 turbo

I had a TA 52 turbo with less than 1500 miles that bit the dust. The exhaust wheel was very very very loose. Oil was going through the bearings. This was B.S:mad: I went ahead and ordered a TA 62 from Limited Engineering.

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR

i was right more and more are coming apart all the time..

Hey Red, did you find out if the metal for the 51/52 exhaust wheel was sourced from the budget roller cam blank supplier? :)

You definately called it.

Originally posted by UNGN

Hey Red, did you find out if the metal for the 51/52 exhaust wheel was sourced from the budget roller cam blank supplier? :)

You definately called it.

ha funny
how come when certain people are friends with garret they write a report but wont release it...:confused:

very very strange....junk can be sold to us by the ones that dont care because they dont have anyone that will stand against them..:mad:

i sure would love to see all that have had failures put it on the board... there are alot of them just wish they would come foward

If it was destroyed by outside agents, it would be released....Obviously it is a manufacturers problem if they won't tell you what they found.

Maybe Mitsubishi needs to do an analysis. I did not find all my budget roller so I am sure you probably got some of it when your turbo was built.

The sad part is they keep selling the 51/52 turbos to those that don't know about all the exhaust wheel failures:( People by these turbos thinking they are top notch and will last, but then they have to find out the hard way when they come apart and then the vendor says the famous BS line "we haven't heard of any of our 51/52 turbos coming apart":rolleyes: :mad: I would love to see Harry explain why there are so many 51/52 turbos coming apart, but I know that will never happen cause the customer is always wrong and the vendor is always right!!!:confused: :rolleyes:

(keep in mind I bought my TE44 from PTE along with my injectors and I like there stuff but this issue of turbos coming apart and the vendor doing nothing is just not right IMO).................