need computer help

BADINBLACK6

I have a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop running windows 2000.
When I turned it on this morning, it booted to compaq utilities. I can't get it to boot to windows. I tried to restart, turn power off,etc., but every time I turn it back on it is stuck on compaq utilities. How can I get it back to windows.

Does anything come up on the screen before you enter utilities? Any kind of error message?

And when you say it boots to utilities, are these BIOS utilties (HD size, boot setup, etc) or a software-based utility program?

When I turn it on the screen is just white with the words COMPAQ. Then the computer makes sounds like it's checking the disc drive (A) then a box pops up and says " welcome to Compaq utilities. This utility is provided to help you set up and diagnose your computer. You should use this utility when you want to change the computer's configuration, and when you want to change or test your computer's options. To continue to the next screen press enter. When I push enter the next screen says.
Compaq utilities:
1. View system info
2. Create a diagnostic diskette
3. Manage a diagnostic partition
4. Exit from this utility
If I hit exit utility it just keeps taking me back to the same screen.

The older Compaqs stored the configuration utility on a bootable partition on the hard drive, not on a chip like every other manufacturer did after the 386 days.

Sounds like your FAT partition is corrupt or missing, hence the booting into the configuration partition automatically instead of hitting the F10 key (when the little white box appears in the upper right corner of the screen.)

I am guessing Windows 95/98/ME?

Boot off a DOS floppy and run FDISK. VIEW the partitions. You should see a non-DOS (about 8Mb) and a DOS FAT or FAT32 partition. Be sure its active.

Then from the DOS floppy, try to view the "C" drive.

After that, you could try to do a SYS command to retransfer the files.

You DID have suitable virus protection on this box right?

If not, my bet is a boot sector virus.

Try this command from DOS off the floppy as well

FDISK /MBR

That will recreate the Master Boot Record.

Whew, flashbacks to the old days.

Now, if this box is Windows XP or NT, all bets are off, you have to try and repair the bootable partitions.

Originally posted by tjthorson
The older Compaqs stored the configuration utility on a bootable partition on the hard drive, not on a chip like every other manufacturer did after the 386 days.

Sounds like your FAT partition is corrupt or missing, hence the booting into the configuration partition automatically instead of hitting the F10 key (when the little white box appears in the upper right corner of the screen.)

I am guessing Windows 95/98/ME?

Boot off a DOS floppy and run FDISK. VIEW the partitions. You should see a non-DOS (about 8Mb) and a DOS FAT or FAT32 partition. Be sure its active.

Then from the DOS floppy, try to view the "C" drive.

After that, you could try to do a SYS command to retransfer the files.

You DID have suitable virus protection on this box right?

If not, my bet is a boot sector virus.

Try this command from DOS off the floppy as well

FDISK /MBR

That will recreate the Master Boot Record.

Whew, flashbacks to the old days.

Now, if this box is Windows XP or NT, all bets are off, you have to try and repair the bootable partitions.

Yes..............but I think all he has to do is tell the machine which one is the active partition by using Fdisk. This utility is VERY dangerous.

Thanks fellows for all your help and suggestions. I tried everything you guys suggested but nothing was working. So last night I went on Compaq's website and just started searching the forum there and found the cure. If anyone out there has the same problem, here is what fixed mine.
Turn the laptop off. Hold the FN(function key)in. Turn the laptop on while holding the FN key and start pressing the F11 key (8-9 times). You will get a error code 162. It will ask you to set the time and date and press F1 to save changes and restart the computer. When it restarts all should be well. My windows loaded right back up and it's working fine. HTH and thanks again!
Chris