Need Help 14.64 at track today

FL T-Type

I am look for sum help.Just got a 86 t-type and took it to the track and it was slow.I don,t know that much about them but i feel it sould run better.It has bigger intercooler adjustible wastgate,it makes about 15psi to17psi.It feels good out the hole but goes flat after that. Any help so i can run in low 12's would help.

I would start #1 with a scanner... scanmaster, Tlink, etc... It's probably going to be your best investment if you want to continue to tune it yourself. You also want to monitor how it runs as of now and you can seen any codes, if they exist.

Phil

Have you taken a close look at your time slip? This can tell you alot as well. For instance what was your 1/4 mile speed? 1/8 mile time and speed? 60' time?

FL T-Type said:
I am look for sum help.Just got a 86 t-type and took it to the track and it was slow.I don,t know that much about them but i feel it sould run better.It has bigger intercooler adjustible wastgate,it makes about 15psi to17psi.It feels good out the hole but goes flat after that. Any help so i can run in low 12's would help.

As he said above... you need a scantool.... not to be confused with something you pull trouble codes with....

What were your incrementals..? ie 60' , 330' 660' ect... and whatever mph's given. You can tell alot about the run based on 60' times... and mph's...

What elevation is the track at?

What was the air temp?

Time slips from two different runs.

R/T .107
60' 2.090
330 6.043
1/8 9.386
MPH 73.81
1000 12.215
1/4 14.648
MPH 91.72

R/T .059
60' 2.137
330 6.113
1/8 9.425
MPH 74.66
1000 12.230
1/4 14.648
MPH 92.43

I live in Florida so the elevation isn't very high, and the temperature tonight was about 51 or so. Pretty chilly for FL.

looks like the car has had some work done.bigger down pipe,dutiwiller intercooler,adj fuel regulator. adj. valve for the waste gate,looks like a race gate wastegate.no converter and hooker cat back exhast.what am i missing?

do you know who's computer chip is in it? what about the stall ? Turbo and injector sizes? try to make as much info available as possible and above all try to purchase a scan tool as mentioned above, scanmaster, t-link or ds. Also a knock detecter wouldn't hurt. :)

A Hot Wire kit would'nt hurt either. You can tell if the fuel pump has been "hot wired" if you find a heavy red lead running along the driverside frame rail going to the tank. Oh yeah, you should find a relay for it under the hood. If you don't have this and a knock guage, don't even mess around. I blew my engine because I did'nt have knock guage.

I just got the car friday,bought it as is.so i don't know alot about it just what i see.The parts are listed,3' downpipe no converter and hooker cat back exhaust,racegate waste gate with adjuster on finder,adj bosch regulator,duttweiler intercooler stock location,the turbo has garrett o on it,dont know how to tell any more about the turbo?stall converter may be a little more than stock but not much.the computer chip in it has Z-industries on it but has 87gn std/custom auto 18a83 e8270 not carb legal.It makes 17psi boost.this is the first t-type Ive had.just got to be over looking some thing.

FL T-Type said:
I just got the car friday,bought it as is.so i don't know alot about it just what i see.The parts are listed,3' downpipe no converter and hooker cat back exhaust,racegate waste gate with adjuster on finder,adj bosch regulator,duttweiler intercooler stock location,the turbo has garrett o on it,dont know how to tell any more about the turbo?stall converter may be a little more than stock but not much.the computer chip in it has Z-industries on it but has 87gn std/custom auto 18a83 e8270 not carb legal.It makes 17psi boost.this is the first t-type Ive had.just got to be over looking some thing.

Is that 17 psi boost on a real boost gauge? Also.... you really need a log of the run on a scantool. I bought a Caspers audible knock detector. I didn't buy the gauge. The audible can work by itself... w/o a gauge... it will beep real loud if it detects knock.....

If it makes you feel any better.... the guys here can help you get your car much faster with the parts you already have.... mine went 9.20's in the eighth bone stock... 12-13 psi boost only had a K&N on the end of the mass air meter....and a 2.06 60'. I went 8.32 in the eighth before I put my alky kit on.... still on 12-13 psi boost....stock turbo/stock intercooler/stock long block..... This was with a 1.81 60'.

WE can help you get faster.... just takes some tuning.

It has two boost gages on it,looks like one is hooked to the map sensor and one some where before the intercooler .One reads 17psi and the other one reads 20psi some times.just over looking some thing.with the parts on it you think it would run better?

FL T-Type said:
It has two boost gages on it,looks like one is hooked to the map sensor and one some where before the intercooler .One reads 17psi and the other one reads 20psi some times.just over looking some thing.with the parts on it you think it would run better?

Yes... something is amiss.... It should run low 8's easy in the eighth.... wich definately would be mid 12's.... with the parts you have....

find out what you have in the car, chip etc. you may be running with a lot of knock, a scan tool is a must, you will hurt something if you don't. my car is basically stock and i race on street tires and 16lbs of boost (pump gas). when i get a 2.09 60ft, i run in the 13.4's at almost 103. get the scantool and a good street chip and go from there.

Where are you in FL?
There a lot of guys around that will likely take a look at it for you. If you're in the area, a few guys are going to Daytona this weekend to cruise.

Read all you can at www.gnttype.org. Scanmaster, hot wired upgraded fuel pump, race fuel, race chip, 21 lbs. of boost and sticky tires = low 13's-high 12's.

Hey RB68RR..........I like your back window decal! I own an 86 Monte SS (all black) and just bought an 87 GN this spring. The first thing my father said when he saw it was, " What the F#@# do you need another Monte Carlo for????" . I then lit the tires up and he screamed louder! except this time I couldn't make it out! :)

Maybe when you bought the car, you didn't ask all the right questions. Call the guy back and ask him about the fuel pump and if it's hot wired, injectors, where he got the chip,turbo, converter, etc. Explain to him that you need some info on the car. We can help with your problems but these are things we need to know as well.

Without a scan tool, we're all pissin in the wind, but it sounds like you've got a lot of knock retard. That's the only thing that has ever made my car flatten out that early in a pass.

Don't go back to the track until you have a scan tool!