You can type here any text you want

Need help, i'm a first timer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DJ DC

I just bought 86 Buick T-Type it has 50,000 original miles. This is my first!

I was told everybody on this site are good people and very helpful.

He's my problem

I was in my driveway and i was backing out and hit the brakes and
it felt like my vacuum assist went out. i noticed a module underneath the master cylinder, would this be my problem, if so where do i get a new one or how do i fix it?

Also my idle goes up and down i believe it my O2 sensor but i might be wrong.

any help will be appreciated!!

if it's original you don't have vacuum brakes. you have the powermaster brake booster that people on here love so much. lol

alot of people have trouble with them. most people just convert to hydroboost. just do a search on here for "powermaster"

here's some photos i want to keep it original its number 111 made.

i read something about a fuse, is it in the fuse box?

what else could be the problem?

Attachments

• P4050186.jpg
    P4050186.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 359
  • P4050187.jpg
    P4050187.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 358
Nice car and welcome to the site. We are very helpfull over here! You have a PowerMaster on that car. The best thing to do is take that piece of garbage off the car so you dont get killed or kill someone else. You dump so much money into that trying to fix it that you would be better off changing it out to a HydroBoost or vacuum set up. I prefer the Hydroboost.

As far as idle issues, there are many different things your going to need to check and start tuning. Here's a good list:

Check and replace old vacuum lines

Check your headers for cracks, if they are cracked get them welded right away.

Check TPS voltage and make sure it's set at .42

Make sure your IAC motor is opporating properly. Sometimes these rust enough to not allow the motor to open and close the valve.

You need to buy a Scanmaster right away! ----Jeremy

Unless you're independently wealthy, you're going to have to change over to vacuum brakes as most other TR owners have decided to do. :biggrin:

How is $250 for a band new complete hydroboost mean you are independantly wealthy?:confused:

Most people are removing those vacuum brakes to install HydroBoost set ups.

and where do i buy one?
NAPA
Carquest
whatever parts store is closest to you. you will also need to get the appropriate lines to hook it up to the power steering system- i think the 84-85 lines work.

How is $250 for a band new complete hydroboost mean you are independantly wealthy?:confused:

Most people are removing those vacuum brakes to install HydroBoost set ups.

First of all, I wasn't talking about hydroboost. I was referring to the PM. And secondly, granted, some, few people are opting for hydroboost. And by all means, for the few who want to do the hydroboost, $250 sounds good. Please list the parts, the prices, and the supplier. I have a friend who spent much more than that buying rebuilt parts from Advance Auto parts to change to hydroboost. I also know, he's had problems with the installation. Of course, his only reason for installing the hydroboost was his desire to hold boost at the line in a car that should be capable of running in the 9s.

Vacuum unit is MUCH simpler to install.

both hydro boost ,and Vacuum will work fine, vacuum is alot cheaper and alot easier to install.
Either way, that power master will fail at some point, and leave you without brakes.

Quote"Most people are removing those vacuum brakes to install HydroBoost set ups."
another Obama supporter- feed you misleading information!

you'll hear arguments for either, but 90% of all american made cars came with vacuum units, (not just turbo buicks) 84 turbo buicks had hydro boost, and turbo trans am had vacuum units, both worked just fine.
if you had a big cam, vac is questionable, but stock TR do not have a vac problem, so the choice is obvious!
some people like to compound the problem and create mass difficulty, they install hydro boost, others like life simpler and easier with equal results.( they use vac unit) :biggrin:

Here is a good write up with the best prices to install the new HydroBoost set ups:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ho...droboost-conversion.html?highlight=hydroboost

As far as being extremely difficult to install, your installing the exact same components with the exception of two hydraulic hoses, one goes to the steering gear box, the other to the PS pump. Not sure how that could seem like rocket science to some? It's a straight forward conversion with exceptional braking power.

There are several good points here. Vacuum brakes work well in most stock apps, but if you plan on doing mods such as a big cam, ported heads, ect, then go with the hydroboost system. The hydroboost system will hold better and stop better, period. As far as cost, the vac system is cheaper.

thanks for all the info guys one guy suggested to put a little bigger fuse in for a while im gonna try that first.

I'll wait on the next thread you start then. "How can I repair burned wiring".

Or, "Help, my car burned to the ground and the insurance company won't pay me what it's really worth!"

Seriously, remove the Powermaster, put it in a box for posterity, and get a vacuum or hydroboost unit. Hell, convert to a manual master cylinder and get rid of the booster altogether, just get rid of the Powermaster before you eat a tree.

Your wonky idle could have a hundred causes, but the most likely is a vacuum leak somewhere. Start with a new O2 sensor and check all the vacuum lines for cracks and leaks. If anything looks worn, replace it.

both hydro boost ,and Vacuum will work fine, vacuum is alot cheaper and alot easier to install.
Either way, that power master will fail at some point, and leave you without brakes.

Quote"Most people are removing those vacuum brakes to install HydroBoost set ups."
another Obama supporter- feed you misleading information!

you'll hear arguments for either, but 90% of all american made cars came with vacuum units, (not just turbo buicks) 84 turbo buicks had hydro boost, and turbo trans am had vacuum units, both worked just fine.
if you had a big cam, vac is questionable, but stock TR do not have a vac problem, so the choice is obvious!
some people like to compound the problem and create mass difficulty, they install hydro boost, others like life simpler and easier with equal results.( they use vac unit) :biggrin:

:oYAWN:o Man, I'm getting tired of this crap.............:o

Hydro boost has been used in many different applications over the years when hard stopping is needed. Look at all the trucks that have it, not to mention the cars GM produced. It was used for all the turbo V6 cars from 83 to 85 until they thought they had a better idea. The powercrapster. It went in in place of hydroboost because it was lighter and help overall CAFE numbers.

powermaster issues

From your picture it looks as if you even have the original accumulator. Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!! Now, get rid of it! I have replaced Powermasters on three different Turbo Regals over the past decade and have never been disappointed. I guarantee you sir, the Powermaster can fail WITHOUT any warning, not even a blink of the warning light because that has happended to me. If your car makes 16 mmHg or better at idle then you should have no problem with the vacuum brake system exactly why the Turbo Trans AM had that system. The Powermaster was not intended to last 22 years. If they were on a currently made car there would be a mass recall. Hydroboost system is fine but not necessary IMO. Make the conversion before you are replacing your brake system and your front clip. Don't let this brake system weakness ruin your fun with this car! Yes, you can replace the various parts of the Powermaster if not the whole unit but the rebuilds are notoriously poor and costly, time and time again. A vacuum conversion, or the Hydroboost for that matter, will be a one time fix.

Dean

well right now my car is stock i just have to figure out what i want to do. it seems like when the car gets warm the fuse blows. Saturday i changed it 5 freakin times.

get a rebuilt powermaster from Kirban Performance (vendor on here) .. some people hate em some love em.. We have had Buicks since the "good one's" came out in 86 :biggrin: We have had a LOT of Buicks over the years.. 1 I converted to vacuum brakes. I wasn't impressed so we fixed the powermaster an put it back in the car. :p

Back