Need help on a book for restoring a 87 gn

kevinm

I'm restoring a 87 from the ground up ,and was needing to no if there is a book that tells how everything goes with pic ? thanks

I am not sure if there is an assembly manual available or not, have not seen any, but I had one for my 67 GTO... they were used by the assembly line mechanics.
Next best bet is the factory shop manual set... NOT cheap, and rather large, something like 50 lbs of paper I think it was on the shipping invoice. They are occasionally on ebay, and you can also get reprints from Helminc.com

peter hoffman's engine book is good for the engine & bay. then gm has a "body service manual" year and car specific- it's got some good stuff.

Get a digital camera and take pictures of everything as you take it
apart, helps a lot when you put things back together

Kirban's has a bunch of 'em... 3 pages of different books here:
BOOKS, DVDs, LITERATURE, POSTERS

Also a post in the for sale section now.... although I think aminga snapped up the 'restoration book'..... but it's available at the above link as well....

best material period is the 86 or 87 factory service manuals.... available from some vendors (gbodyparts?) and also on ebay alot....

Get yourself the GM Factory Shop Manual. There are at least 100 illustrations showing how the wiring is routed and what is what. That's the closet thing I have found compared to the Assembly Manual that you can usually buy for the more "run-of-the-mill" cars out there like Camaro and Corvette. By Factory I mean the one published by Helm Inc. Not a Haynes or Chiltons. The one that dealership technicians used to repair the cars.