You can type here any text you want

Need help with engine choices

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bammax

I'm looking at replacing an Olds 307 with a turbo 3.8 and have a couple questions for you guys. It'll cost a grand or more to get a stock turbo engine and then it would need to be cleaned up to make sure it's reliable for daily use. I can get an N/A 3.8 for a few hundred bucks and then piece together the turbo stuff over time. Which option do you guys think would make the most sense on a limited budget?

Rebuild the 307..................it will cost alot less $$$ IMO...........you said limited budget..............that is 5 syllables that don't work well together in the turbo world. :cool:

It will cost well over a grand to even get a good complete engine/harness that will not need anything. You will also need a trans, possibly a cross member, 8.5 rear and a fuel tank and bunch of other small stuff. PM me if interested in a complete engine. Trying to build it over time with an NA engine will get you in trouble. Save more $ and get everything you need and a good solid engine. A hodge podge of parts wont cut it

I hate to say it, but you really might be better off staying with the 307. I imagine their aftermarket is not great, but this would be a serious undertaking.

I have access to the parts needed as far as fuel system is concerned. I can get a tank with in-tank electric pump, lines, wiring, and pressure regulator out of an lt1 b-body for cheap money.

My car already has a 200-4r installed so it'll just need to be beefed up a bit which is what you guys know alot about doing.

The 3.8 was an optional engine for this car so I'll just need the motor mounts that go with the engine and it should drop right in.

The rear won't be an issue since I'm swapping in one from a mid '90's Impala SS after it's been cleaned up a bit.

Looks like the basic issues will be the exhaust, wiring harness, ecm, and getting my hands on a good engine.

I'm looking at replacing an Olds 307 with a turbo 3.8 and have a couple questions for you guys. It'll cost a grand or more to get a stock turbo engine and then it would need to be cleaned up to make sure it's reliable for daily use. I can get an N/A 3.8 for a few hundred bucks and then piece together the turbo stuff over time. Which option do you guys think would make the most sense on a limited budget?

I have access to the parts needed as far as fuel system is concerned. I can get a tank with in-tank electric pump, lines, wiring, and pressure regulator out of an lt1 b-body for cheap money.

My car already has a 200-4r installed so it'll just need to be beefed up a bit which is what you guys know alot about doing.

The 3.8 was an optional engine for this car so I'll just need the motor mounts that go with the engine and it should drop right in.

The rear won't be an issue since I'm swapping in one from a mid '90's Impala SS after it's been cleaned up a bit.

Looks like the basic issues will be the exhaust, wiring harness, ecm, and getting my hands on a good engine.

I'm gonna guess, but are you a fan of the F&F movies? Doing the swap will cost more than you realize in money and time. It's not as easy as you think and the parts aint cheap. You'd be getter off swaping an Olds 350 into it and go from there. Not trying to be a downer but as far as practicle it isn't.

The car itself will be fairly easy since I'm well versed in b-bodies and what to do with them. It's the engine itself I'm lost on since I don't deal with anything but V8's in general.

I'm just looking at what it would take to get a budget build going and which parts are interchangable between the LD5 and LM9 as far as the block, heads, and stuff like that. The LD5 engines are really cheap around here and if I could strip one down and just put in a new rotating assembly and head gaskets to make it turbo ready then that's the way I'll go. If the engines share any other common components then I'll be that far ahead of the game. What I'm worrying about is that the engines have nothing in common other than their displacement, like the L35 and the L99 back in 1995

I've been doing some research already and I'm looking at TA Performance to get ballpark ideas on pricing and it looks like the cost factor for a good build would be the same as a good LT1 build so I'm not shocked by the expense or anything. I'm planning on stockpiling parts over the course of a year or 2 until I have a complete engine. I just don't know where to start from.

I'm deffinetly listening to what you guys are saying though and serriously considering buying a complete turbo package.

I've been doing research for three years now and have a bunch of parts but no car running yet. I think I have about 4K invested so far and it's not an SFI car. Do some research in the hybred section if you need more info. Yes, I'm a perfectionist.

My suggestion...

would be to first do a lot of reading on this board in an effort to learn more about the pro's and con's behind operating one of these v-6s. You will be amazed at the performance, but not understanding the parameters can lead to a lot of frustration and disillusionment w/the turbo world. Your enthusiasm is great and w/the time, money and education you will be one happy camper w/the ability to turn up the boost and not drive over the crank.:eek:
Keep an eye on the parts for sale section while you familiarize yourself w/the inner workings. The engines have gone from $800.00 to $3500.00, including harness and computer, all claimed to be in running condition. Naturally the higher the price, the more bolt-ons, etc. The last engine w/harness and comp. I saw was 1500.00. I considered it myself, if I didn't already have 4 in the garage.:eek:
So be wise and w/the help of these and other board members, your idea will pay off.:D

Back