need help

84 hot air

I am new to turbo buicks and a own an 84 hot air car. I am looking for an experienced member to help me build a bullet proof hot air. I am a body man and just fixed the front end an now i would like to build the moter trans and rear end. looking for a good proven recipy injectors, tb, converter posi units ect. im new to turbo buicks and need someone to start me off in the right place. no one seems to now a thing about the hot air cars:( only cold airs. the car is running well now and is a good platform to build hopefully a low 12 mid 11 car or faster. appreciate the help
mike

some help

Start by reading the stickies at the top of the forum. There some recipes in there.

Some of the strongest hotairs are owned by Turbo6x2, boost231, and Lee Thompson used to have the quickest hotair car around.

Helpful members in the board are Jerryl, boost231, Brad Padgett, and numerous others. I will also help as much as I can with the limited knowledge I have. For all out tech questions, member charlief1 is very car savvy and knows more than most (he spends most his time in the before black section).

Like I said, start with the stickies, and do all the preliminary stuff first. Fuel pump, boost gauge, scan tool of some sort.

Thats my advice.

If you are past this advice already, disregard I just take every new member as a new participant in the huddle and they have to know where to start.

Jerry

I'm also new to Turbo buicks. You came to the right place for help. I got a hold of a car , and in less than 20 miles it spun a bearing and locked the motor. I currently have the engine out and am trying to figure out which direction to go with the help of the members here. This site is full of knowledgeable people who are willing to help. Also Check out GNTTYPE.ORG, read everything twice.

I am new to turbo buicks and a own an 84 hot air car. I am looking for an experienced member to help me build a bullet proof hot air. I am a body man and just fixed the front end an now i would like to build the moter trans and rear end. looking for a good proven recipy injectors, tb, converter posi units ect. im new to turbo buicks and need someone to start me off in the right place. no one seems to now a thing about the hot air cars:( only cold airs. the car is running well now and is a good platform to build hopefully a low 12 mid 11 car or faster. appreciate the help
mike

Where are you located ?

I'm using my phone right now but as soon as I get to a computer I will provide you with some info to start you off.

mike

Ok lets start with the motor. First i would find a know Turbo 3.8 builder that can build your motor for you. do a search on the board. There are to many people to claim they know how to build a buick motor then we see you post 3 weeks later asking why your motor is junk. anyways find someone on the board thats close to you. As far as what to do with the motor if i could build mine again i would go with a roller 212/212 and a stroker 3.8 or a 4.1. however i went with a more budget build but it should still run a 10.99. also you if you build the motor you need to put heads on the car. Heads are very important on the hotair cars. also i would aleast go with billet center caps. 2 will be fine but it depends on your budget. As far as stuff for the motor. once again depends on your budget. without getting to crazy i would go with a set of 60lb injectors and a TT 6.0 chip. Since you will be getting erics new chip i would get a powerlogger and a lc-1 wideband so you can take full advantage of his new WB tracking for making tunning easyer. As far as turbos get a Ta-33 that is about your only choice right now. you can do a search on this as it would take alot of writing to explain what has been writin all ready. i would as get a buickgn.com cold air kit for the car. the stock intake will go 10's. send it off and get it ported at iwinengerning. you will also have to keep your eyes open for a set of either atr or poston headers. the factory passenger side header is crap. you can also try contacting BWR and they are going to make a set for someone. As for the downpipe go to gbodyparts.com. they have a 3inch downpipe for sale that works great. they copied the downpipe i had on my car and now they have them for sale. exhaust i would look at the vendors sites and get what you like but make sure the mufflers are a straight through design. One thing you need to get for sure is ALKY. you can get an alky kit from Razor ( http://alkycontrol.com/) this will allow you to run more boost and it will also cool the intake charge for more horsepower. i think that covered most of it.

lets talk trans. also there are alot of vendors on the board who will build you a killer trans. to name just a few

"Brian`s Performance Transmissions"
Brian Hofer
28251 Asmus st
Roseville, Mi 48066
586-306-9996
email: hipsibri@cs.com

Century Transmissions and Automotive
Mike Kurtz
811 PLANTATON DR
Richmond, Texas 77469
(281) 633-8155
MAKURTZ@SBCGLOBAL.NET
MaKurtz on TB.com

CK Performance
Chris Kokkinos
Astoria, Queens, New York
Chris 718 on TB.com

Drw Transmissions
Don Wang
Santee , Ca.

Extreme Automatics
Lonnie Diers
Cincinnatti , Ohio
Quickt on TB.com

PTS XTREME Transmissions
Performance Transmissions
9472 Dillard Road
Wilton, Ca. 95693
916-739-0510
916-952-9567 cell
the2004rperfcntr@aol.com
Bruce Toelle.......aka.. "WE4" ...
Everywhere & on TB.com
Wilton Ca.
PTS XTREME Transmissions
Performance Transmission Services

now a torque converter. right now it seems like the PTC converter is hard to beat. contact Dusty Bradford on turbobuick he will set you up for what you need

as for the rear end. the stock posi 8.5 is pretty damn strong. all i would do is upgrade to either a moser or strange 28 spline axle.

well i hope this help

brent

PS= all this for someone with one post :eek:

well i hope this help

brent

PS= all this for someone with one post :eek:

That's why we are here, and are DAMN lucky to have members that will help out the newbies...we all were newbies once.;)

I will 2nd the above post:

these are the members who have helped me the most:
Jerryl
Brad Padgett
Turbo6x2
Boost231
O SO LO
Charlief1

...and I will help if I can...:biggrin:

I will always help out anyone. Everyone has helped me. My car has been down the past three months due to an accident. Got it back yesterday. Look at signatures and ask alot of questions before you spend money. Look forward to helping out. Brad

............ I am looking for an experienced member to help me build a bullet proof hot air. .............

No such thing ;). . . Seriously, A bullet proof motor (to me) also includes;
Forged crank
Four steel caps, or Girdle
Balanced rotating assembly
Quality bearings with the right tolerances
Forged pistons / Rods
ARP hardware
Good oiling system
Bullet proof head gaskets
Low leakdown numbers
Roller set-up

And to make it last;
Good tune / Gas
And most of all, NO DETONATION! :eek:

Forged crank
Forged pistons / Rods
ARP hardware
Good oiling system
Low leakdown numbers
Roller set-up

And to make it last;
Good tune / Gas

i agree 100% however it still comes down to how much you can spend. now if you want me to make a list of the best of the best i can.

i agree 100% however it still comes down to how much you can spend. now if you want me to make a list of the best of the best i can.

I Agree 100% wth you . . . OP never said anything about budget, but wanted a bullet proof motor . . And those are not going to be cheap, no matter how you slice it.

Those who have been in the game for a while, and decide to push the levels of performance understand the price to be paid . . . . . :eek:

Welcome aboard 84 hot air...
Listen to the people above they have a lot of experience-
and that includes turbonut85, we were all in your place at one time
and the people above have helped me immensely in the past years
and I'm still learning...

Start by reading the stickies at the top of the forum. There some recipes in there.

Some of the strongest hotairs are owned by Turbo6x2, boost231, and Lee Thompson used to have the quickest hotair car around.

Helpful members in the board are Jerryl, boost231, Brad Padgett, and numerous others. I will also help as much as I can with the limited knowledge I have. For all out tech questions, member charlief1 is very car savvy and knows more than most (he spends most his time in the before black section).

Like I said, start with the stickies, and do all the preliminary stuff first. Fuel pump, boost gauge, scan tool of some sort.

Thats my advice.

If you are past this advice already, disregard I just take every new member as a new participant in the huddle and they have to know where to start.

Jerry

That's why we are here, and are DAMN lucky to have members that will help out the newbies...we all were newbies once.;)

I will 2nd the above post:

these are the members who have helped me the most:
Jerryl
Brad Padgett
Turbo6x2
Boost231
O SO LO
Charlief1

...and I will help if I can...:biggrin:

I will always help out anyone. Everyone has helped me. My car has been down the past three months due to an accident. Got it back yesterday. Look at signatures and ask alot of questions before you spend money. Look forward to helping out. Brad

Jerry, Keith, thanks for the embarassment.:tongue: I know cars and I think a little different so I do my best to help, that's all.:biggrin: We mostly all try to help each other so ask and sooner of later one of us will answer, but it may not be what you want to hear. there's lots of variables that have to do with power and if you think getting a HA car into the 11's you aught to try diong it in a C/T car. Still working on it though.:eek:

Forged crank
Forged pistons / Rods
ARP hardware
Good oiling system
Low leakdown numbers
Roller set-up

And to make it last;
Good tune / Gas

Jerryl has been very helpful to me as well as Brad and many others. I can't tell you haw many times I felt like an idiot after asking a question. Some things may make you feel stupid but ask or you may never know. BTW, Jerryl, I did a little more work on what we talked about previously and my idea was fubared. I have the right design for it now so if I get the time and parts to make it I'll send you some pics. You aint gonna believe it.:biggrin: