Need some help, car not running right

slack_sr

What's up guys, I'm new to the GN scene and have no idea where to start with my car. I bought an original owners 40,000 mile car last fall and am having problems with it. I come from working on carburated motors so the whole computer, fuel injection, turbo thing is kinda overwhelming me. The problem I am having is that the car has no pick up, and a horrible idle, feels like a misfire, stumbles upon acceleration. I changed the coil pack, plugs, wires, heated O2 sensor, red armstrong fuel pump,hot wire kit, new fuel fliter and put in a throttle enhancer last night and still runs like crap. I use 2 know of people who worked on these cars back 5-6 years ago but they are long gone. I still plan on changing injectors, exhaust and adding a chip but I doubt that will help. I think my dads Caravan with 180,000 miles would out run the car right now. If anyone can help me with some ideas or know of someone in the Chicago area that can help me, please let me know.

If it is a miss-fire try to find out which cylinder it is, try unplugging the injectors one at a time. Listen to the injectors with a long screw driver or vacuum hose, see if one sounds different. You have taken care of the ignition side that leaves fuel or mechanical. If injectors sound ok, time to do compression test :frown:
Good luck and welcome aboard ;)

If you don't have one yet, get a scan tool.

Was the ignition module tested when the coilpack was removed?

Check your chip for corrosion too, bad contact can simulate a lot of what you said.

I checked the injectors and they sound ok, 1 thing I forgot to mention is that you can smell raw fuel really bad. How do you check to see if the ignition module is ok. I thought if the module was bad the car wouldn't even start. I appreciate the help so far, like I said I'm new to the whole computer,turbo,injection thing. I've been doing a lot of research to try to understand how things work and how 1 thing affects the other.

First! Let me say..

Welcome Pilgrim! Good to make your aquaintance!
What year is your vehicle? It may make a difference in the responses you get.
It is really important to use a scan tool for your operation and troubleshooting. There are several available, turbo-link, direct-scan, otc 2000, or 4000, etc. Scan-masterII is another most use.T-link and d-scan give more info due to the sample rates.

the maf, tps, and/or iat can cause the rough idle, hesitation, and poor excelleration. :confused: The scan tool would help you eliminate many of the variables. :biggrin:

If it is definitely a miss-fire, the first thing you have to do is figure out which cylinder it is. Deaden a cylinder one at a time and see which one does not change the idle. Then see if you have spark, injector pulse, and compression. Make sure it's not the spark plug by swapping with another cylinder. See if the miss stays with the cylinder or follows the plug. Do the same for the injector. Like I said before if you have no compression (or low) , spark and fuel are pointless.

time to do compression test

Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat (I think it's a canoe and I don't have the paddle). Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Inspect all of your hoses and make sure they are all in good condition and connected. If you are smelling fuel you might want to check your fuel pressure regulator. Do a search for vacuum leaks on this site and you will find some other things to try to locate them. That might not be your problem but it is one thing to eliminate. Most people here are very helpful. Good luck!