Need to Identfy this ESC unit...

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Picture.jpg
I need to identify this ESC controller I have. Had it for several years but haven't a clue from what year system it came from. Anybody wanna give me a shout out? If Rich is anywhere around perhaps link me up to a diagram....

Thanks Charlie...Can't find out a darn thing about it. I need to know what is the additional plug on it for. The diagram for the 1981 ESC is slightly different according to my Buick manual and does not show it. Seems like the 1978 units are not monitored or controlled by the ECM, which is a good thing in my book. The number on the Turbo Control Center is 1994485, which doesn't match up to anything I've searched for.

Also, I found the knock sensor on Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-ks4

Details here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=40252

Not sure if I'm going for it...too pricey.

1981 ESC.jpg
Picture 2.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.beforeblack.net/knock.htm

I believe that connector goes to a relay that shuts down the ESC during start up.. Without it, the ESC would mistake starter noise for knock and pull so much timing, the engine wouldn't start. There's a diagram in the link above - but the colors don't seem to match up. Maybe the wire colors were different for different years.

I'm not 100% familiar with the 1981, but I would expect the ESC not to be stand alone. The ESC should be a module that feeds into the ECM and the ECM controls the timing. That's how all other ECM engines work.

Thanks Rich. You're absolutely right on the 1981. The ESC does feed into the ECM via the by-pass and the EST, Buick Schematic shows it. It does seem that the 1978 ESC was stand-alone. The CCC/ECM system was not used yet back then.

Now, about that relay....LOL! Seems like I'll have to track one down...

1981 SC Turbo schematic.jpg

Last edited:
The 81 is a CCC system and the 78-80 units are stand alone, but the 80 is different than the 78-79 Freddie. None of it will swap unless you've got all the parts on head to swap with it.

None of it will swap unless you've got all the parts on head to swap with it.

Not worried. Seems like I'm just lacking the knock sensor, the relay and the Dizzy. My 1981 CCC/ECM was removed and stored. I back dated everything in it. No electronics other than the good old fashioned HEI dizzie. Never ever used a knock sensor since I'm lame on the foot anyway. But I'm thinking maybe I'll put one...I dunno...

That thing plugs into a female type that comes from a wiring harness that goes into the firewall under the break booster, comes out behind the fuse box on the inside.

Can I ask what a Dizzy is?

Last edited:
Does anyone know a part number for the relay? I wonder if the efe relay on the newer cars is the same?

Alternatively, I have one out of a '79 Turbo Coupe for sale if you have any need for that :)

Was it working when you took it off. I have an extra one but could always use another if it's in working order. How much do you think it would cost to send it to the USA?

Last edited:
As said I don't know that much about the Turbo Buicks but I'm a GM guy so I know HEI and also enough about engines in general. I can tell you however that with some help to fuel supply, the car would start and run as good as it would after being parked for most of 10 or 15 years (with just some fresh fuel, plugs, distri..). Drove it for some miles, speeds up to about 40mph maybe, power and drivability seemed fair enough, no big chugging, or misfiring or knocking I could tell. The harness has been a bit hacked up from the pre-owner, but I'd guess this is not as big of a deal, will send pics of this. I can check for shipping and come back to you. Also can send it with the foot gasket you asked me for btw ;)