You can type here any text you want

Need Trouble code 42 help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
That's what I thought about the code 12 but I am not sure why the check engine light stays on. I'm guessing it has something to do with the EST issues I was having before. Does any one know which wire is the reference pulse on the dizzy 4 wire connector?

Thanks

This matches for both an '83 and an '87 3.8l Regal with a N/A engine. Colors are for the harness side of the connector.

A - WHT - EST (timing signal from ECM to distributor)
B - PPL/WHT - DRP (distributor reference pulse to ECM)
C - TAN/BLK - BYPASS (when open distributor fires at base setting and clamps the EST signal)
D - BLK/RED - DRP reference low (grounded at distributor)

RemoveBeforeFlight

Well I have a volt reading of just over 2 volts at the ECM terminal 10 and it increases as I increase throttle. So I'm guessing the ignition module is working fine, which sucks because I prepaid for one to come in tomorrow(75 bucks). I'm really starting to think it's the ECM. The worst part is all the wreckers up here are clueless that ccc cars existed prior to 87'. So I guess it's going to be a reman unit and hope it is the problem.

I've done some more searching around the ol interweb and I read that if you don't have a dizzy reference pulse the car won't run. Is this true? If so why do I have one and why does my car run haha. Could I have issues with the ses driver? Are they specific to year and models like the ECM?

Try this link hopefully it helps I'm having a similar issue and was getting code 42. The car idled smoothly then died out. Tried to crank and crank and no luck. So disconnected the ecm and re connected and it went back on. So I started driving home then it sputtered and died out again so I parked for a few minutes turned back on and made it home with a slight miss????

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My car doesn't die. It idles a little rough but the carb needs some work. I have the check engine light on and when it is idling and I ground the test terminal It flashes a code 12 at me. Doesn't that mean no reference pulse? I used to get a code 42 and 21 but now all I get is this code 12. When I ground the aldl the idle drops so that tells me that the est is doing something. I ripped half of my dash out tracing wires but I don't think a broken wire is the problem. All of the air pump and egr solenoid a are gone. Would one of these connectors not being hooked to anything be an issue?

Well I have a volt reading of just over 2 volts at the ECM terminal 10 and it increases as I increase throttle. So I'm guessing the ignition module is working fine, which sucks because I prepaid for one to come in tomorrow(75 bucks). I'm really starting to think it's the ECM. The worst part is all the wreckers up here are clueless that ccc cars existed prior to 87'. So I guess it's going to be a reman unit and hope it is the problem.

As for f-body's, the early carb'd export versions didn't always get an ECM. Many of the ones exported to Canada didn't have an ECM, so weren't a CCC set up.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Replaced the ignition module. Didn't change anything. Is it worth buying a scan tool? The check engine light does turn off for a split second when I crank so the ECM is getting power. But it is still throwing code 12 when it is running. Is it common to have one function fail on an ECM and the rest run fine? What does the check engine light do when the light driver fails? When the ECM is disconnected the check engine light stays. Is this due to the missing ECM or does this mean there is another issue?

Last edited:
Replaced the ignition module. Didn't change anything. Is it worth buying a scan tool?
OTC 2000. This eBay one looks like a great deal, (it's the same one I have).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-System-2000-Car-Scanner-/251495467549

When I had the ECM system it made my troubleshooting so much easier. Eventually after giving it much thought I disassembled my ECM system and retrofitted it to 1980, (packed up the ECM/CCC and stored it). I didn't have any issues with the system, (it actually did a great job at controlling fuel usage). I just like the old school way were the timing is controlled by vacuum and the carb is tweaked by me. The older the car gets the more likely electronic components begin to fail and getting replacement items can at times be frustrating or darn near impossible. I have no ill will towards the C3 system I actually encourage holding on to it, (that's why I stored mine). It looks more and more like the ECM on your car took a dive.

Last edited:
I will look into the OTC. I have a ECM enroute from evil bay. I think the wagon trains are still used to ship stuff from the states to canada cause it's gonna be two or three weeks before I see it. O well lots of other stuff to clean up and sort out.

Thanks

If this crap keeps up i am going to install a MSD 6BTM and be done with it.

If this crap keeps up i am going to install a MSD 6BTM and be done with it.
Go with and a J&S electronics box Jim. The BTM sucks in comparison and the J&S unit will control detonation better than the stock system ever dreamed of doing.

Never hea
Go with and a J&S electronics box Jim. The BTM sucks in comparison and the J&S unit will control detonation better than the stock system ever dreamed of doing.

Never heard of that unit I will check it out .

Got the new ECM and after running for a 15-20 minutes no codes came up. Fingers crossed this solves my issue. Now to get the idle to slow down and get the carb to respond a bit better and I'm off to the races.

Thanks for the help

Back