You can type here any text you want

Need wheel adapters

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

newtownhood

Car Audio and Electronics guy.
I'm trying to put wheels from a 95 Impala SS on my GN. Who makes good adapters? I don't care how fancy they are, as long as they're strong and safe...Let me know newtownhood@aol.com

Josh

It depends what kind of GTA wheels you have...If they're "fronts", no need for a spacer, but if you have "rears", then I THINK (but not 100% sure) that the correct spacer needed is either 1/2" or 3/4" ...

Claude.:)

i don't know if the backspacing on the Impala wheels is good for a GN, but one relatively cheap option to get the 5X5 bolt pattern would be to get a set of "metric" brake rotors from a circle track supplier that have the bigger bolt pattern- i think US Brakes sells them, but they have longer 1/2" studs installed-- or take your rotors, axles, and rear drums to a machine shop and get them drilled for the bigger pattern.

i don't know if the backspacing on the Impala wheels is good for a GN, but one relatively cheap option to get the 5X5 bolt pattern would be to get a set of "metric" brake rotors from a circle track supplier that have the bigger bolt pattern- i think US Brakes sells them, but they have longer 1/2" studs installed-- or take your rotors, axles, and rear drums to a machine shop and get them drilled for the bigger pattern.

-Your idea is not bad, but there's a simpler way to do it: When buying spacers, you can specify the stock bolt pattern (4.75) where they bolt onto the car and have the studs spaced with the Impala's bolt pattern (5.00). They're called "adapters" but also act as spacers that can be ordered with the thickness you need. :wink:

Claude :smile:

It depends what kind of GTA wheels you have...If they're "fronts", no need for a spacer, but if you have "rears", then I THINK (but not 100% sure) that the correct spacer needed is either 1/2" or 3/4" ...

Claude.:)

I ended up using a 5/16" spacer along with longer wheel studs on the back to get 255/50R to fit right with the front GTA wheels, 245 will fit without them:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/me...ly/228982-finally-road-wanted-say-thanks.html

I went with 225/55R in the front, the 245's will rub the inner fender in a tight corner. All GTA Fronts.

I ended up using a 5/16" spacer along with longer wheel studs on the back to get 255/50R to fit right with the front GTA wheels, 245 will fit without them:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/me...ly/228982-finally-road-wanted-say-thanks.html

I went with 225/55R in the front, the 245's will rub the inner fender in a tight corner. All GTA Fronts.

"54Rich", are you saying that you had to use a spacer while using GTA "front" wheels?? I know you have to use some if you have GTA "rear" wheels...but it's the first time I hear of someone needing spacers with "fronts"...:confused: I have some 255's on the rear of the car and 245's on the front of the car, all mounted on GTA "front" wheels, with no rubbing problem...:redface: Could it be that the rear axle is not perfectly centered under your car?...:confused:

Claude.

"54Rich", are you saying that you had to use a spacer while using GTA "front" wheels?? I know you have to use some if you have GTA "rear" wheels...but it's the first time I hear of someone needing spacers with "fronts"...:confused: I have some 255's on the rear of the car and 245's on the front of the car, all mounted on GTA "front" wheels, with no rubbing problem...:redface: Could it be that the rear axle is not perfectly centered under your car?...:confused:

Claude.

Fronts all the way around. I might have been able to get away with no spacer, but it was a tight fit (Tire to Frame) the 5/16" made the wheel look better on the car. It came with 245's all the way around and my front inner fenders have the rub marks to show. I went with the 255/50 to get that extra 1/2 or so of width and the stock 26" tall tire, so the speedo would be right. The 245's are a bit shorter. The 225/55 on the front are .7" shorter than the back. I'm sure my springs have sag in them, the car has 104K on the clock, so that might have something to do with it. I think it sits pretty nice. I'd love to get another 1" or so drop, someday.:biggrin:

-Your idea is not bad, but there's a simpler way to do it: When buying spacers, you can specify the stock bolt pattern (4.75) where they bolt onto the car and have the studs spaced with the Impala's bolt pattern (5.00). They're called "adapters" but also act as spacers that can be ordered with the thickness you need. :wink:

Claude :smile:
my idea works better if the backspacing is correct on the Impala wheels, and yours works better if the backspacing is too deep on the wheels.
i can't remember what the backspacing is on an Impala wheel- i think they are a 5" backspacing and 8.5" wide.

edit- just checked my new GMPP catalog, and they are a 17X8.5, but there is no offset or backspacing listed.

Back