New 249 shortblock just got back from machine shop

image-3644649016.jpg

I guess I'm ahead of you. I fired mine off this morning and it runs great. The only problem was that after it warmed up, major oil pan leak. I tried eliminating the gasket and just using Right Stuff and I guess I did not use enough. Leaked like crazy. I then attempted an "in the car" gasket install. Absolute horror! The main studs would not allow the pan to be removed without lifting the engine. I cleaned and reinstalled the pan with the silicone and it still leaks some. I'm going to pull the engine out of the bay slightly this week and do it right. I will never do an in car oil pan again. I can pull the engine and do it right with just about the same amount of work.

I have the Cometic cork on order. My pan is probably tweaked. I had to "clearance" it with a big hammer. The rear main studs were hitting the pan. I didn't use a gasket, just the Right Stuff....twice! It only leaked the second time from around two bolts. I might try to remove the bolts and just shoot some silicone into the holes to see that works. I really not sweating it. Even if I have to pull the engine again, no big deal. I'm just glad the small leak is the only issue.

Oil pans are the same. Yes , I did the same with the silicone . But I laid it on thick. Hopefully it doesn't leak. My studs never hit the pan