New 3.5" maf w/ translator and runs worse???please HELP!

Adjusted iac all the way out and scanmaster still reads 70-80 at warm idle...will not run at all at this setting...guess I will change iac and see what happens....thanks for the help y'all .... Any other suggestions? At least making progress...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

the "IAC" has no adjustment, what are you adjusting? the idle stop screw?

it should still run with the IAC reading at 80, so there is likely something else going on, and the IAC reading is a symptom.

Bob

Turbo bob.....this is what I did...

Is it possible to give us the Scanmaster display readings?
You might want to remove the IAC from the housing and clean any carbon or gum off the tip of the plunger and clean the seat as well.
once you clean it follow these instructions:
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/basics.htm#IAC (Idle Air Control) Adjustment
and this one since these adjustments work together
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/basics.htm#Throttle Position Sensor Adjustment

At 80 iac reading car dies constantly at 175 iac reading car runs but far too rich and floods out and stumbles at tip in....other suggestion other than swapping iac?

I thought that screw was idle set screw but the link shows to adjust it down to iac of 15-25. I can't even get it that low

I thought that screw was idle set screw but the link shows to adjust it down to iac of 15-25. I can't even get it that low

Idle is controlled by the ecm. That screw sets the throttle blade stop position. You adjust it further open to get IAC counts down, BUT you then need to readjust your tps sensor so it still reads normal idle voltage so the ecm knows your car is idling. You probably raised the tps voltage opening up the throttle set screw and now the ecm doesn't know it's idling and thus causing your rich condition.

did you remove the IAC from the housing and clean any carbon or gum off the tip of the plunger and clean the seat as well?
You must take baby steps or you will be chasing your tail in circles if you don't do thinks systematically.:banghead:

I did clean and reinstall iac already...how do I reset the tps? Thank y'all for the help!

Sometimes when trying to adjust the IAC, if it won't go lower then it's setting of between 15-25, then you might have to manually reset the IAC, and then do the TPS adjustment and work back and forward between IAC and the TPS, until both settings are set correctly.

Attachments

• MANUALLY “RESET” THE IAC.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 73
Car runs pretty good! IAC count around 55 and rpm around 1500 when in gear and idle. but otherwise runs great! Thank y'all!!!!

Car runs pretty good! IAC count around 55 and rpm around 1500 when in gear and idle. but otherwise runs great! Thank y'all!!!!

You do realize according to this site:------------ http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/basics.htm#IAC (Idle Air Control) Adjustment
The IAC count on the ScanMaster is around 15-25
The idle is around 850-900rpm
Is it possible to post the ScanMaster numbers when engine is warm?
It seems you still need to make the IAC and TPS adjustment

Yes sir, I do realize that. We adjusted both to the best of our abilities. Tps is set perfect. When we reduce iac or idle speed the car dies when stopping and stumbles at tip in. I know we still have some work to do but not sure where to go next.

The ECM controls the idle speed, and you need to make the adjustment of the IAC, and yes I know it's a PITA, but we have been through those adjustment at one point.
If you still can't get the IAC down to around 15-25 count, then you might have to manually reset the IAC as I mention to you on thread #50

Before doing anything, is it possible to remove the new 3.5" MAF with translator, and go back to the factory MAF and see if the engine runs better?
Just a hunch!!!

Last edited:
There is a dance you do when adjusting TPS and the IAC. Adjusting one and then going back to the other. It can be time consuming. Idling at 1500 is not right. Maybe try the MAF base dial at "1" setting for richer or "2" for leaner idle.