You can type here any text you want

New 4 inch air intake and LS1 Maf Now runs awful

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Double-L

I am getting a 87 Grand National off a friend, He did some work on it that didn't turn out very good, He ran the car about 4 times last year, He turned a best of 11.18 at 20 lbs of boost, 61 turbo, 50# injectors, Aluminum heads and so on, He is really not a race car driver, The car has the best of everything and is a 7,000 mile 2 owner car, He had the mufflers took off and two 21/2 inch stright pipes, Put a 4 inch air intake on with LS1 Maf, With the 4 inch tube he could get the 6th and 7th injectors back in, Now the car runs awful, If you give it full gas it dies, He has no laptop and doesn't really know how to put the parts on, Should I put the car back the way it was or what

I would suspect a bad MAF or Translator. Was everything new when installed?

7th injectors can be tough to tune, especially without a chip that is burned for it, or a laptop to look at what is happening.

I would put it back to the way it was when it wnet 11.18 and baseline it.

Mike Licht said:
What are his settings on the translator and what chip is he using
Mike

He didn't set anything on the translator other than setting for 6, He said he didn't under stand it, Also he put the stock chip back in, Don't know why unless it wasn't running very good but it isn't going to run that good with the stock chip, Everything is new, The 4 inch air tube looks good, sliver powder coated but a friend said it isn't going to run any better and he said the best thing to do is set everthing back the way it was and start from there, The car was set up to run 11.20's et, Not 10's

If he used a stock chip with other than stock injectors it will not idle right. He has wrong settings, and the wrong chip, have him call me so I can tell him what to do to make it work, should take about 5 minutes or less
Mike
586 790 4406

What do you mean by he could get the 6th and 7th injectors back in? Did you mean he COULDNT get the 6th and 7th ones back in? Why would the 6th injector be missing? Its a 6 cylinder motor. :confused:
Alot of this stuff just requires common sense. You cant run a stock GN chip, and try to run an LS1 MAF, with the translator set all wrong, and with different injectors than the stock chip is meant to handle.
Whats with the 7th injector on a low 11 car? Its not 1989 any more.
He needs to talk to Mike. Get an extender chip for the 50's, a scanmaster!, Mike will teach "your friend" how to set the translator and tune it.

Mike Licht said:
If he used a stock chip with other than stock injectors it will not idle right. He has wrong settings, and the wrong chip, have him call me so I can tell him what to do to make it work, should take about 5 minutes or less
Mike
586 790 4406

I will give him your number, I am going to buy the car off him, Never seen one as nice as that one, Better shape than my new car, The power is gone and if you give it full gas it dies, I am a disabled veteran and I have forgot how easy it is to get in and out of the older cars, Hard to find one with that low of mileage

Double-L said:
I will give him your number, I am going to buy the car off him, Never seen one as nice as that one, Better shape than my new car, The power is gone and if you give it full gas it dies, I am a disabled veteran and I have forgot how easy it is to get in and out of the older cars, Hard to find one with that low of mileage
Even though its a low mile car, I would be concerned with the actual health of the drivetrain. When you mess around with the tune on a boosted car, and have no idea what you're doing, its easy to trash a motor in a few seconds. Its best to read up, and read up, and read some more. Study like crazy and learn everything you can about tuning these cars, before you even turn the ignition on.

Tampa T-Type said:
You need to spend some time researching this site!

I have spent a lot of time on this site and one thing I said the 6th and 7th injectors, I am sorry I meant the 7th and 8th but I think most knew I made a type o, This is the first time he has done anything to the car and all he done was put the 4 inch air intake and other parts on the car, No tuning, He is like me a nice guy but not up on the computers, One other thing he ordered all the parts for Mike

Double-L said:
I have spent a lot of time on this site and one thing I said the 6th and 7th injectors, I am sorry I meant the 7th and 8th but I think most knew I made a type o, This is the first time he has done anything to the car and all he done was put the 4 inch air intake and other parts on the car, No tuning, He is like me a nice guy but not up on the computers, One other thing he ordered all the parts for Mike
7th and 8th?

VadersV6 said:
7th and 8th?

I think Mr. Armstrong used to sell something like that back in the stone age.

Give Mike a call, and identify all the hardware on the car. The 4" MAF stuff will not run right without the proper supporting hardware.

Getting it sorted out should be pretty easy.

Bob

TurboBob said:
I think Mr. Armstrong used to sell something like that back in the stone age.

Give Mike a call, and identify all the hardware on the car. The 4" MAF stuff will not run right without the proper supporting hardware.

Getting it sorted out should be pretty easy.

Bob

Thanks and I told him to put the racing chip back in and call Mike, He called me back and said after he took the stock chip out it run 80% better, Now a little smoke comming out and still running rough and the knock going off like crazy even with racing fuel , I told a friend that use to race a GN and works on them and he said he would drop by tonight and set the translator, Run a scanner on it and see what he has done, After he made the changes he run the car up the street a couple times so the guy said it should be ok just get everything setup right

Well my friend went over last night and the first thing he done was to check the oil and it had water in it, He said I wouldn't start it if it was mine but the guy started it and oil came out the tail pipes, Don't make since, I was racing the night he was and his car ran good, He took it back home started working on it and now as my friend says, I have never seen a better looking GN but you are taking a chance buying it, I could buy it and hope it was something like a head gasket, But then there is the oil comming out the pipes, Man it is hard to buy a nice GN

I called it. Like I said, with some wingnut throwing random parts on the car, and having no idea what he's doing or taking the time to study and UNDERSTAND the car before turning a wrench, its easy to blow a boosted motor in a few seconds. Water in the oil means you have serious problems. Probably a head gasket, but it could be much worse. Your friend needs to buy a 67 volkswagon and turn a wrench for awhile, then learn basic engine theory (4 cycle internal combustion engine), move onto studying electronic fuel injection, move onto studying turbocharging, then study up on turbo buicks. He needs to try and understand that there is a big difference between a 600 holley 4 barrel and a distributor on a small block chevy, and an electronic fuel injected turbo motor. Dont ever blindly copy what someone else does. Dont memorize things. Understand what it is you're doing and you wont fail.
You have the advantage of knowing who it was who owned the car. Judging by what you've said, he should not be turning wrenches on it. He obviously doesnt understand what he's doing, or even the fundamentals, and that can be catastrophic with any car. Even if the head gaskets are gone and you replace them, the engine has probably seen major detonation and I would bet the bearings arent too happy. "The best of everything" doesnt mean much. 7th and 8th injectors arent the best by any means. He could have the "best" turbo, and have the "best" cam, and the "best" heads, but the engine could be extremely mismatched. You can run a bunch of junkyard parts, yet if you know what you're doing, you could be much faster and have a much more reliable combo than the guy who spent 30k on engine parts but doesnt know what "firing order" means or what BLM means.
DONT BUY THIS CAR.....assuming this is really a friend and not your own car.

Then again, if its a really nice car, just buy it for a price that's low enough for you to be able to repair or replace the engine.

(Been there, Done that)

Bob

.....assuming this is really a friend and not your own car.....

No it isn't my car, I wish it was, I am still thinking of buying the car, If you ever seen the car you would know why, The guy has somone helping him now and said it was a head gasket, He said he would have it running before he sold it, If I did buy it I would have the engine gone through and updated where needed, The car is that nice, I have seen a lot of GN's but never one that looks as good as this one, Also has every stock part that was took off the car when new, Bill of sale, Window sticker, Papers on everything that was done, The tires and GN wheels were pulled off and a coat of wax was put on and put in the centerline boxes, You see very few cars like this in your life, Not counting it just turned over the big 8,000 miles, Man it is a tough one, To buy the car and go through the engine and update it a friend said I would have around $24,000 in the car when he got done, He isn't cheap

Back