New and in love with it

XBreed

I am thinking about buying an 87 GN for around 3500.00. I am going to look at the car sometime this week. I do know that it spun a bearing. Not sure if it is a rod or main. But I figure that if I had to even rebuild the engine it would be fine with me. Here is my question, where do you get parts for these cars. I don't really trust summit. Any help would be great. Thanks

XBreed(Jeff)

Gn

Got questions? This is where to go!!!! Let me know if I can help. PM me anytime. I'm newer to the buick community but I am a mechanic. I help when I can. I think that is what this board is about!! Welcome!!!!! Dave

87 Turbo Buick for 3K?

These are great cars and are a money pit. Like NJ Torque said you should be mechanically inclined or have big pockets because having someone else work on your ride is upwards of 70/hr. Now if the rest of this car is in good shape, like they parked it in the garage out of the weather would be a big plus. If the rest of the car is in "good "condition it may very well be a good 3500 dollar roller..Give it a good going thru and weigh the costs of getting this car back on the asphalt before you plop your hard earned cash down on the table. Good Luck hope the car is worth resurecting.;)

Well I have built a 10.5 sec, W/ NO2, mustang 5.0 before but I know I have a lot to learn with the turbo set up. I think I should be ok. Just wondering where to get parts if I do go this route. I have been in love with these cars for a long long time and finally am able to get my hands on one. The motor rebuild should cost me about a grand with my guy and that is if I have him put it together. Car comes with a new turbo, new radiator, bigger inj (40s or 50s) and two chips for the computer. Int is in good condition from what I am told and the body has next to no rust. Head liner is coming down a little but that is typical. It has been on a car trailer with a car cover for over a year. Complete car just in pieces. Thanks for your input though.

What city are you near? Your right on the money about a rebuild, about 1000 to get it done from a buddy, i just had 2 done last month.

Cranks usually run between 100 and 350 for a rolled fillet rod and main turbo crank, that is a must unless you tune for less than 5° of knock all the time.

If you can get it for 3500.00 get it, it will be a fun car

BW

I am by Minneapolis and I know it cost about 850.00 to do a stock rebuild on my pickups 350 with head work so... I have always wanted one and I don't mind learning about them and working on cars so I think I am going to do it but I have to go look at it first. Thanks guys

Take your time looking around and use the search feature. There's a ton of info here. Good luck with the car.

Since no one else has said it....
Unless your buddy knows Turbo Buicks, don't count on him to do your engine. Make sure you have it done by someone who knows Turbo Buicks!!

Help

Got questions? This is where to go!!!! Let me know if I can help. PM me anytime. I'm newer to the buick community but I am a mechanic. I help when I can. I think that is what this board is about!! Welcome!!!!! Dave

not to jump in but Dave i might need your help your sig relates to my setup if you don't mind i'm new myself also.

AL

Not like building a Chevy or Ford. Also Summit has given me excellent service and I'd use them again if I were building another Chevy project, but they really don't deal too much with Buick parts. For that you're better off buying from the vendors here. You can check out feedback on them in the vendor support forum.

Welcome and if you have your heart set on getting one, go for it but be forewarned of the beginning of a long love/hate relationship! :eek: With your past experience, I think you will be fine. Lots of collective knowledge here and the other TR sites that can assist you as well as provide archives for your searches. Some parts can be tough to find being the motor was a 2 year only offering. GNTTYPE.org is also another great site as is vortex buicks. Always search on the sites first and ASK before any wrenching or purchases. Lots of people have been down this road before you. I've been around these cars since '86 when I bought a GN new and I'm still learning. My advice would be to buy the best car you can afford.

Thanks for all the help. Every car I have ever had has been a love hate relationship. They all are for a while. As far as the engine goes it is not a "buddy" who would be doing it. It is a local machine shop that did my 350. He does not specifi in any one thing but does a little of everything but has been doing it for a long time. I am willing to put the work forward but all you guys are starting to scare me... lol... I am sure I will be buying this car but just a little worried now. Vendor shopping it is. Thanks again.

Xbreed/ Jeff

Love hate

I just got my TR over a yaer ago and I was and still am big into mustangs. The Buick is definatley a different animal. I new nothing about them except that I had to have one. When I bought mine it ran but barely. Thanks to this board, I have just recently got it running descent. Once they are running correctly, they are so much fun to drive. Anyway, I am glad I stuck with it because the fun is just beginning.

Ok ok it is a 1987 Buick Turbo T WE4. 113000 Miles. Bigger inj. Brand new Stock turbo, cam (unsure of specs), no rust, underside is perfect no rust, custom exhaust, has head work, mild porting on heads along with high spring weight. motor has a spun bearing other than that it is fine. Int is near perfect condition. Let me know what you think.

spend extra money and buy one already done, it will save you money and headache's. But if you said it has no rust at least you will be starting off with something worth building

I would go for it. You sound like you are ready for a love hate relationship. You also soung like you are ready for the challenge.
Good luck!

is this spun brg so bad the engine will not/should not be run? if it can be started and idled with low oil pressure that would still be a whole lot better info than never hearing the engine run. At least if heard idling you would expect the block was good and at worst the stock crank could be turned if needed. I would ask as many questions as you can think of and get as much info as possible before deciding. You can get a good running 86, 87 Type for about twice that and no matter what you think it will cost twice as much as your eng rebuild estimate by the time it is all said and done. Of coure there is no better way to learn but to jump right in!

Said bearing is a main bearing and right now the engine is in the trunk. I am going to have it rebuilt and I don't really care if I need to buy a new crank, just gives me a reason to get a forged one. I do not know if it would run or not. Thanks for the thoughts though guys.