You can type here any text you want

New and looking for advice.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Onigato

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 1974 Ferrari Dino replica as a project car. After breaking the basics of it down I am pleased to find out it has a 3.8 Buick turbo (I suspect from 1981 Buick, still waiting on the engine number) mated to a 5-Speed Getrag transmission, rear mounted on a Fiero frame. Someone has put a lot of work into this vehicle and I hope to improve upon their vision.

My problem is the Quadrajet carb is in bad shape and needs replaced or rebuilt. If I am going to start rebuilding the top half of the engine I want to do it right, using this opportunity to upgrade effectively without breaking the bank. I would like the car to have a solid 300+ hp. I think this would make it fun and still drivable without getting too radical. How feasible is it to convert to a 87 GN style turbo and intake setup and get rid of the carb all together? Or is there some nice carb setups I should look into?

We are mostly a GM family with a stable of cars and I have owned an 81 Grand Prix for the last 20 years and the Grand National have always been my dream car. My knowledge on the 3.8 is pretty good. Advice on this would be appreciated, thanks.

Get a cheap Hot Air SFI turbo set up. There has been quite a few people on here lately asking about upgrading there carb set ups. I'm not sure why anybody would spend that kind of money when people on the board are proctically giving away Hot Air SFI set ups. Or spend 4 times as much and get an intercooled set up if you dont mind spending the extra money. Either way will be awesome! TurboNut85 on the board had a hot air kit for sale a while ago for a great price. Your going to have a hard time keeping boost with that clutch though! Maybe look into a "No lift to shift" set up for the trans.

Thanks, I was concerned about the boost issue with the manual trans. It isn't the setup I would have picked even though it does fit the theme of the car. I will look into the Hot Air SFI setup.

Or you could come visit us in the B4Black section. Aj (dr_frakenstein) was running a stick for a while and liked it so he should be able to help you with it. If you decide to go SFI please remember those of us that are trying to make the C/T system a little better.

Welcome Pilgrim...

I'm sure you will find the help you need on this board. May I say prior to investing in any changes or upgrades, spend a lot of time reading and learning about these vehicles and the options opened to you. besides the carbed, you have the hot-air, intercooled and the 3800's if you have access to the parts, ie, junk yard hunting, friends car etc. Your billfold will be your guide, but wisdom will be your performance!:biggrin:

Back