New engine Runs then dies after 5-6 seconds :( Lost

if it wont stay running with him feathering the throttle, then it is NOT the IAC or the TPS.

Does it shut off crisply, or sputter/stumble then stall?

The CAM sensor can cause wierd stuff like this, I have seen it once before. I forget how it was timed, and its not supposed to do that, but it did. I would re-time the cam sensor by hand and see what you have.

Stock cam sensor, or the Caspers unit?

Bob

I would get with him to help you as it’s his rebuild . But acouple things to triple check the coil pack and module . Make sure it’s grounded well . The fuseable links and main grounds . The cam sensor has to be dead on especially if running a tr6 I mean dead on . The crank sensor must be spaced correctly aswell . Good luck. And keep us posted
Just curious as to how this would be the engine builders situation when it's got good oil pressure he's going to know nothing about the sensors or how anything was put together on the engine

I would get with him to help you as it’s his rebuild . But acouple things to triple check the coil pack and module . Make sure it’s grounded well . The fuseable links and main grounds . The cam sensor has to be dead on especially if running a tr6 I mean dead on . The crank sensor must be spaced correctly aswell . Good luck. And keep us posted
Stock Coil Packs so no TR6
Grounds are good and even added 2 extra one right from the coil bracket to the Head
Fuesable links I dont even know where they are lol. Im sure barried in the wiring where you cant get to them with the engine in the dang car? Sorry just getting really frustrated.

if it wont stay running with him feathering the throttle, then it is NOT the IAC or the TPS.

Does it shut off crisply, or sputter/stumble then stall?

The CAM sensor can cause wierd stuff like this, I have seen it once before. I forget how it was timed, and its not supposed to do that, but it did. I would re-time the cam sensor by hand and see what you have.

Stock cam sensor, or the Caspers unit?

Bob
Turbobob Your correct it dies even if you hit the gas it actually will die faster if you touch it even a little.
It shuts off just like you turned the key off nice and clean no real sputter
Cam sensor came from a guy that redoes them from the site here. Dont remember his name William gave me his info I contacted him and he sent the sensor to William and he installed it because I had major issues getting on right in another TR that had one go bad. I just dont want to mess with that thing lol. Took me a month back then to get it right and I dont have that kind of time any more with my family and job.
Id say its a rebuilt stock one?
Maybe some one knows the person that redoes them on here. He supposed to have the best ones??

Just curious as to how this would be the engine builders situation when it's got good oil pressure he's going to know nothing about the sensors or how anything was put together on the engine
I didn't say it was the engine builders situation. I would just think that the engine builder would help him iron it out seeing this guy just bought a motor from him . which im sure Will would as he is a knowledgable guy and he usally doesn't mind helping fellow turbo buick guys out
Stock Coil Packs so no TR6
Grounds are good and even added 2 extra one right from the coil bracket to the Head
Fuesable links I dont even know where they are lol. Im sure barried in the wiring where you cant get to them with the engine in the dang car? Sorry just getting really frustrated.
the fuseable links are the wires going from the starter to supply your whole car with power . They are attached to your starter . Check them out . And yes it could very well be your cam sensor. I would try and borrow a known good one from someone
Then install it correctly. These cars need the cam and crank sensor to start and continue to run .

I didn't say it was the engine builders situation. I would just think that the engine builder would help him iron it out seeing this guy just bought a motor from him . which im sure Will would as he is a knowledgable guy and he usally doesn't mind helping fellow turbo buick guys out

the fuseable links are the wires going from the starter to supply your whole car with power . They are attached to your starter . Check them out . And yes it could very well be your cam sensor. I would try and borrow a known good one from someone
Then install it correctly. These cars need the cam and crank sensor to start and continue to run .

I have another cam Sensor in my old engine that came out. This thing was $260 shipped so it best be good :( I did this so that I didnt have to set the B*tch up like said I had a horrible time getting it right in another engine so for me this is last resort for sure.

Not likely it is that so I would put that about last on things to do on the list.

The “key off” like stopping tells me something electrical is cutting off not a shutting off the gas.

I would look at the crank sensor, the module power and the fuseable links (don’t like them anyway).

Have anyone close that you can borrow a module ?

Where are you located as troubleshooting something like this is hard over the internet.

Did you try unplugging the maf like suggested?

Double check the settings in the translator?

Try a different maf Base Setting for the hell of it.

Powerlogger? Can you log it?

Did you try unplugging the maf like suggested?

Double check the settings in the translator?

Try a different maf Base Setting for the hell of it.

Powerlogger? Can you log it?
Yes tried unplugging it still the same checked settings in the translator they are correct. Next I think Im going to try the old 3" LT1 MAF and see what that does. Seeing this is the only thing under the hood different from before other than the engine its self and if that doesnt work Im going to switch the crank sensor to the old one if that doesnt work I have no clue really really dont want to mess with the Cam Sensor if I dont have to. Fusable links look good not black burnt or custy so unless there is some other way to check them beside visually im kinda lost on those as well other than cutting them out and just connecting the wires again. Every thing else works so I dont think the links are the issue.
I do not have a power logger its on the list of things to do as well as a wide band just out of cash for now so it has to wait till spring

Have anyone close that you can borrow a module ?

Where are you located as troubleshooting something like this is hard over the internet.

We are in Michigan about 30 Min from the OH boarder and 10 min From Michigan International Speesway in Brooklyn Mi
Tipton Mi is where we are.

Did you check all the fuses? I wouldn’t think it would start at all but many have had a simple blown fuse that powers the Ignition module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you check all the fuses? I wouldn’t think it would start at all but many have had a simple blown fuse that powers the Ignition module.

lol Yes checked the fuses all are good actully checked them when I got a POS Starter from Gbody parts thing was dead out of the box! Had to source a new one (Also added about 2 weeks to this mess) Still waiting on Credit from them as well :(

Did you unplug the translator from the car harness? If not try that.

Try the other MAF for sure! Because it starts for a few seconds then dies, It sounds like maf related.

If the cam sensor or anything else was the problem, it would not start at all.

Sounds like fuel pump shuts off after starting. Can you jump the fuel pump relay if you have a hotwire kit so its always 'on' then try again?

If the cam sensor was wrong it wouldn't even start. Even if it was 180 out, it'd still start and run with the factory wastespark setup.

You have a kid or girlfriend/wife that can watch the fuel pressure gauge or start the car so you can watch the gauge?