New Gs Regal Buyer

1QikTurboI4

Stunt Man Mike
Hey guys, I'm on the Market for a 97-02 Regal Gs. Is there anything I should look for before purchasing it I'm well aware of the Recent recall issues just wanted to know a few things before I purchase a car.

be aware of the transmission condition , has it been regular serviced or replacement they are the weak link on these cars . enjoy

as you see in my sig I have 4 of them

my dd is an 02 I bought in 06 with 96k for $7000

my wifes 98 i bought last year with 80k for $2000

the other 98 & the 97 were $500 each with 122k & 136k and some issues to sort out-good motors & trannys though

there are several very nice gs's for sale on the regal forum including a 12 second DD that is very nice

Thanks guys, I should be picking a car up in the next week or so. I'll be sure to post the pics

The gas milage sucks if that something your worried.Not sure if your buying for a daily driver or not.

Well then consider the milage then.My buddy also sold his because of gas milage.We both sold them last summer.Good Luck.

The gas milage sucks if that something your worried.Not sure if your buying for a daily driver or not.

if you do a lot of highway driving like I do you can pull down 30 mpg , my wife runs more around town with hers and averages low 20's , but I have taken hers to work a couple times and cleared the mileage and it will get 30+

I live in Maine & commute across New Hampshire into Massachusetts for work 6 days a week (84 miles one way) keep good plugs, wires , fuel filter ,etc on it and keep the tire pressures in the high 30's and they do fine , I also stop at the track on the way home and run mid 13's with my 30mpg DD

there a few guys good with hp tuners getting 35+ mpg on a mileage tune mostly by adding timing in & around the 2000-2300 rpm range you would be in at 70-75 mph

I've had 5 GTP's and they all had high mileage. If taken care of they go for a long time. As for fuel economy my lightly modded cars got 26 MPG all around driving and more on long hwy trips. My highly modded cars not so much:biggrin:

I'm looking to purchase one as well. What year(s) are the most desirable? I've heard that some come with a heavy duty transmission and some with larger brakes; if so, how do you tell. Additionally I've heard that the superchargers are slightly different between years and some respond to modifications better than others. Just looking for some general info before I purchase, as there's a lot out there relatively cheap.

I'm looking to purchase one as well. What year(s) are the most desirable? I've heard that some come with a heavy duty transmission and some with larger brakes; if so, how do you tell. Additionally I've heard that the superchargers are slightly different between years and some respond to modifications better than others. Just looking for some general info before I purchase, as there's a lot out there relatively cheap.

well assuming you are also looking for a regal gs in specific like the original poster the changes from year to year are not that significant mostly minor stuff

97/98 had a very restrictive airbox and a throttle body with a post down the middle 99-2004 had an improved airbox & tb but most people modding them would ditch the airbox pretty quickly for a fenderwell or cold air intake

97 & 98 had a slightly different blower with different vacuum routing

grand prix gtp's got a much improved gen 5 blower starting in 2005 that is a popular retrofit to regal gs's , impala ss , ultra's ,riv's ,etc... as is porting the gen 3 that came on these other cars

99-01 got front strut tower bars while the other years didnt unless it was a "GSX"

a performance shift switch was included up until 2001

2003 & 2004 trannys got an upgraded 4th gear hub

they all had the same brakes but brake & suspension upgrades from police package impalas are popular as well as f-body and corvette braking conversions

there are too many subtle changes to list or remember , but there is a thread about it with a lot of little stuff people have noticed over on redirect ( I am a moderator over there )

everybody has their own opinion on which year is the best over there but myself owning a 97.5 , 2 98's , and a 2002 my advice is buy the nicest newest one you can afford-they got better as they built them but 99-02 seem to be the ones with the happiest owners

my 2002 is my daily driver it currently has 169,000 miles on it and still runs & performs awesome on the original untouched long block & tranny ,has never needed anything but fluids , filters, & tires and I commute over 1,000 miles a week with it , get around 30 highway , and stop in the track on my way home and run 13.5 @ 104 1/4 and 8.6 @83 1/8 on minor bolt ons

they are all good cars if maintained properly you may find a mint 98 for the same price as a not so mint 03 just consider age price and condition

Thanks, that's a lot of info. And just to clarify. I'm only considering GSs, why not buy one that already has the supercharger as opposed to retofitting something. I know they're great cars, plus i like the looks and let's not even get into the sleeper aspect.

I know they're great cars, plus i like the looks and let's not even get into the sleeper aspect.

get one in the 13's or quicker and take it to a street night you will get lots of reactions - including people leaving the facility directly from the return road after being beat by it ( happened 3 times so far) and lots of WTF is that thing ??

Murphinator, Thanks for all the input I'm very excitied to get mine. Feels like the day when I first drove a Gn lol

I regret selling mine. It was a '99 and I dove it from 25k to about 130k miles, and nevedr did anything but change the plugs once. (Oh, and a window regulator ;) )

Great car. Nice power, good fuel consumption, comfortable and very reliable. If I ever lose my company car I'm driving, I'll be getting another one.

Murphinator, Thanks for all the input I'm very excitied to get mine. Feels like the day when I first drove a Gn lol

no problem

if you are buying one be sure to join the regal gs forum i cant emphasise enough how good a group is there and how much knowledge you will gain about the car

the parts for sale section there is the best way to mod a gs since most stuff is bolt ons - dont buy new !!