new guy intro/what should i run thread

lucky1

hey guys i've been sneaking around on here for awhile and was just recently able to register so i figured i would introduce myself.
my name is corey malone, i purchased a 86 GN in sept after i returned home from my first deployment as a present to myself :)
this is a car i have been wanting since i was a little kid, and when i found this deal there was no way i could turn it down.
the guy i bought the car from didnt seem to have a clue what he was doing with it and i've been fixing his cobble jobs one after another, but for the price i got it for i guess i cant complain to much lol.
now i will give him credit as he did seem to put some good parts in it... but most of the work could have been done better by my 6 year old niece.
i could go on for hours ranting about this but i will save that for another time lol, i will try to let you guys know to my best knowledge what the car has done but the last owner seems to have forgotten what was done to it...
TE60 turbo, SMC alky, unknown headers, 50# msd injectors, FMIC, 4in maf pipe with translator, adj fpr, grainger boost controller, walbro 255 hotwired, unknown stall, stage right trans brake, caspers knock gauge, aem wide band, power logger, TT 5.3 chip, 3in DP dumped, ext gate.
the stall is between 2800-3200 and is a non lock up, the next couple days before i put it in storage im gonna try to flash it and figure out the true number for it.
the car right now has a pretty good exhaust leak so its really laggy right now, and the g force tires that are on it are only a 225 so they dont hook that great when launched hard lol. i also seen a paper from turbo tweak i believe saying it had some intake and head porting done... not sure on that as he never mentioned it to me before i bought it.
now with mentioned mods around what times should the car be running? thats with a good tune and decent 60 foot, all's im looking to do in the spring is hit a 11.5 with it and i will be VERY happy. after i hit that i will be looking into putting some real work into the motor, but as of now a mid 11 would make my year lol.
thank you guys for reading, this seems to be a great site with alot of knowledgeable people on it. im looking forward to posting more :)

The car has the MODS to run 11 with the right boost and the car in tune.

I would recommend the powerlogger & a wideband for tuning.

I would also invest in a large rear sway-bar & boxed rear lower control arms to help the car hook.

Along with reading everything you can on this website, other good places for general guidance are:
Vortex Turbo Buick Performance
Turbo Regal Web Site

...and before you go crazy on the boost, do the following: The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

...and for reading your ScanMaster and basic tune verification:
Quick Reference Page For the '86/'87 Turbo Regals and '89 Turbo T/A

....and for your military service....
a big thank you from this veteran to you:biggrin:

Everything Meanchicken said and additionally, a big thank you from this veteran also.

By the way, where are you located? Your best bet is to find a TB veteran to take you under their wing to help you. You will find that most of us are out there to help in most every way possible.

Post in the lounge and whichever geographical area you are in for people in your area.

A big welcome to the Buick community. I don't think you will find a better group of enthusiast of any other car out there. You will find a big reason of that when you try to find parts for your car. It is not a chebby, so performance parts have to be specially made for us. Not just anyone can handle owning a Buick ! ! !

Mike

thank you guys very much, my plan for spring was pretty much everything in that spring cleaning list, i've been going through the car and making a list of everything that needs to be tuned up changed or fixed... its a decent sized list lol.
i put in the wideband, new boost gauge, and grainger valve myself since i have owned the car. the boost controller that was in there was some air compressor valve which didnt do anything but make it laggy'er "not a word i know lol" and boost creep to like 28 psi. i didnt like that so i did the grainger and set it at 20-21 right now
this winter im getting some micky thompson et streets, and getting a roll cage put in it, i figure i will have the setup to go faster then build my motor up.
i dont think i have been more excited to go to the dragstrip, even last winter when i got the cam swap done in my GTP i wasnt this excited lol :biggrin:
the car already is ALOT of fun, ive done a ton of tuning and have gotten it to a respectable level already... it's a night and day difference from when i first got the car. he had the MAFT to far out of tune i dont know how that thing ran, after that and replacing sensor after sensor, fuel tank, and fixing what that guy called "wiring" the car now runs to a level i feel comfortable driving it and going WOT.
this winter/spring once i get my check list done and the tune on its good it's off to the strip, i think i got most of the cobbled parts and crap fixed and out of the car so i hope i dont run into anything else like i have.
I dont really know anyone around me with a TR i have only seen maybe 2 around me. i live in the tricity area of MI, i friend ran into one of the engineers who worked on the GN, GNX, and other performance gm vehicles so im gonna shoot him an email sometime soon.
thank you guys again for all the help, and mean chicken hopefully i can match some of you stories in the kill section next year :cool:

Welcome. from yet another Vett.

Sounds like you got yourself a nice eleven second ride. It may take you a trip or two to the track to sort things out before you see that elevens time slip, but it is a solid eleven second car, waiting to happen. Have patience with the tune, and keep it tuned for zero KR if you want it to live a long life. The search tool here is very helpful. Ask questions too. Were all here to learn. Post a picture if you can.

Thanks for your service.
Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

HOORAH!!! Welcome aboard from a former USAR MP! Sounds like you have a little knowledge but please go to your user controls and add some info like location and some info on the car for your sig. This is one of the best sites on the net so do lots of reading first then ask questions so you can get answers.

Thanks for your service bro. Got back a while go myself and gonna go play in A-stan soon. It sounds like you have all the ingredients to go well into the 11s. I rarely post because I always find an answer to my question from other threads. Sounds like after you work out the kinks you'll have a mean ride. Post some pics so we can get a look!

thank you guys for the awesome welcome :)
i am a USMC 0311 currently with 1/24 B co reservist out of saginaw MI, been in for 3 1/2 years now on a 6 year contract. more then likely going to Afghanistan next year or so, if everything plays out like its gonna.
i have a few pics of the car from my adventure of trying to drive it home, i will have to tell you guys all about that trip and boy was it "fun" 20+ hours broke down on the side of the highway lol.
the car isnt in bad shape at all, needs a lil paint, head liner, and some touch up's but over all the car is good now.
thanks again guys, pics to come soon

Welcome and thanks for your service, love to see fellow veterans on the board... you'll love this site when your deployed, you can surf and figure out what new to get for when you get home. Yeah that's what I'm doing now... boy do I miss my car, after the wife obviously... :D

Haha, I did the same thing too! Between Buick parts and Amazon, I'm amazed to have any money left from downrange! Sorry to get off subject but I saw your location beniot. By any chance were you on an ODA from 10th Group? Just wondering. Name sounds familiar.

PICS! :cool:

022.jpg

023.jpg

029.jpg

027.jpg

020.jpg

first 4 are from the second time it broke down on my way home "fuel pump"
last pic is when the alternator went out 20 miles from the guys house after we had to sleep on the side of the highway there waiting for autozone to open lol.
in the end, not to shabby for a 5,500 dollar turn key grand national :D

Very nice.

Screamin deal too. Rims should polish up nice. These cars look good on welds. If the engine and trans are strong, that car is worth 2-3 times what you paid for it.

Mike B.

i dont mind the weld wheels, but i might go a different route in the spring, looking for some GNX/GTA wheels. yeah i got a great deal on the car, the guy was just looking to get rid of it fast so i had to run and get it while i had the chance.

Haha, I did the same thing too! Between Buick parts and Amazon, I'm amazed to have any money left from downrange! Sorry to get off subject but I saw your location beniot. By any chance were you on an ODA from 10th Group? Just wondering. Name sounds familiar.

No I'm out of Bragg... can't really say too much over the greenside here, they monitor us.... :eek: