New (I hope) GN Owner - NC

robertmee

If all goes well, I'll be a new '86 owner this Friday. Wish me luck. I'm buying a car that was owned by a former member here who no longer is able to enjoy the car. It's been built out and has all the goodies. I've already talked to Scott Lambert and DailyDrifter, a couple of NC locals and they've been very helpful in giving me information and helping me decide on this purchase. Thanks too to VBAssassin whose patiently answered alot of questions behind the scenes.

My background: Long time muscle enthusiest. My Dad got me interested in fast cars and he had some unusual ones along the way (all bought new). A 66 396 Chevy Impala, that he sold to an employee and subsequently totaled :mad: A '74 Gremlin with the V8 option. 260Z somewhere in there. An '87 Supra. And a Bonneville SSEI supercharged. So, the gene was passed on to me.

Enjoyed a moderately built out '69 chevelle when I first got my license in the 80's. Then went the ricer route (GASP) for a few years with a '89 CRX SI. Then European with a moderately modded Z3. Next, a '63 300 w/ 413 xram. Baby came and sold the '63 for an SUV. Baby is now 4 years old, and the lust for muscle has returned. I thought initially I'd return to my roots with a Chevy II or Chevelle, but then remembered how those GNs used to spank my friend's 5.0 in the 80's, came here and started reading, and liked what I saw. A few months later, and I think I found 'my' car.

I'm going to need alot of help and guidance on how to properly tune and maintain this beast, so please bear with me and the ignorant questions. I hope to personally meet any of you in the area.

Robert

Welcome to the darkside. You're already hooked now. If it ends up not being the '86 then you will end up with another one.

Resistance is futile.

Check us out on our local yahoo group too. We usually try to meet about once a month or so.

GM_TURBO6 : GM_TURBO6

Will do....

Notice anything different :biggrin:

Thanks Dave (Aka DailyDrifter) for helping me out today!

Glad I could help. This car is one of the cleanest GN's I've seen, no rust, no major body damage (I think only 1 dent), roof is smooth as glass, great tail lights, and all the blackout molding is in great shape. There are a couple mechanical issues (nothing major) and a couple of "loose ends" that need to be corrected. I wanted to floor it really bad, but the owner was driving right in front of me :rolleyes::tongue:. Nice meeting you today Robert, take the car to Richards and have fun with it.

Twasn't washed and it's too cold outside to wash it tonight :biggrin:

Wash/Wax weather permitting tomorrow....And vacuum the hay out of the trunk :biggrin:

The original owner was Bogie1 on here.

Think I remember him now......Don't think I've seen him on the board in the last 2-3 years. Remember he had the car running pretty good at one time, low 7's in the 1/8???

Got them pictures ready, add them to the NC Owners post when you do, a running thread in this section.

Yeah, he's not been active really since 2005. He was original owner and his wife drove the car from 86 to 2004. He took it and spent a year or so on it, getting it to a 7.34 1/8, met his goal and lost interest I guess. Really nice guy and lots of cool toys, but I think he's just looking forward to retirement and giving up some of his cherished pasttimes.

No pictures yet and I just realized the wife, whose in London 'till next wednesday has our only camera! D'oh :eek: