NEW PB today

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
Made some changes.. learning a lot in the process... having fun enjoying the car..

This is my 89 Mustang this afternoon here in Florida. Runs on drag radials and pump gas with the methanol system. I'll try and get some video's latter as a buddy was filming today. I'll post up some data logs as well.

The basic change on the motor was increasing the size of the turbo. I was using a Turbonetics 76 with .96 AR T4 turbo. My back pressure readings where 58 PSI at 19-20 psi boost. Thats 3:1. After calling Turbonetics they suggested getting a larger exhuast housing like a 1.10 or larger to help the turbo breathe. I called Precision and was told a mid-frame 76,88, etc with a .96 would work better.

So here i'm thinking the turbo's they suggest use a .96 AR housing.. something was missing.. and when I got the new turbo(88 .96 ar T4) is was very apparent the housings where radically different in size.

Long story short, the old turbo had a 3.5 downpipe. The new one uses a 4 inch.. I made a section and necked it down from 4-3.5. This way I could keep my existing exhuast.. the results paid off.. On Wed night 3 less PSI boost.. car went faster than it ever did. At 16 PSI boost it ran 6.09 in the 1/8 at 117. backpressure was 26 PSI.

Today I ran 19 PSI boost and back pressure at 33-34 PSI. Picked up 10 MPH in the 1/4 at the same boost level the old turbo was at. dropped 25 PSI on back pressure. So now motor makes more power, less back pressure.. win win scenario.

Except now its blowing through the converter :mad::D

I'll try and get the logs up soon..

Attachments

• 9.22.JPG
    9.22.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 829
  • 7688_1.jpg
    7688_1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 837
Heres a screen shot to show what it looks like. The bottom end of the run needs work with the boost controller.

The OIL PSI is my back pressure reading. I removed the transducer from the oil port and ran a tube from the drivers header to it for measuring.

You can look at the oil psi on both shots and see the drop from one to another.

pretty neat. Weather today was toasty :eek:

Attachments

• 9.3 log.jpg
    9.3 log.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 827
  • 9.84 log.jpg
    9.84 log.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 827
I also turned up the alcohol some anticipating more power :D

The graph has moved up on that line.

That's great! I have to ask, how much did it cost to run 10 mph faster?

In my case.. in the end not that much. The 88 I bought on Yellow Bullet for 1k. The little stuff like Vband flange, vband, oil return fitting, 180 U bend for DP, reducer coupling, hoses, etc.. where like 350. Then labor to make the DP section..

My BB 76 is in great shape and its sale will offset the cost of the new turbo so thats a wash.

In the end.. ~600 bucks.

What threw me off was initially I would ask how fast guys are going with a 76 MM turbo.. There are Buick guys running high 8's.. my car was running high 9's same weight.. it didnt add up.. so I started thinking.. worn motor, high leakdown, heads suck, cam issue?? tuning?? Thats when I started checking back pressure and realized it was way too high. 2.5-3.0 times the boost being run.. that led to changing turbo and whalla.. instant results.

Look at the picture.. both of these two turbo's are the same T4 4 bolt flange. Both have the same .96 AR. yet the 88 is radically larger.

Its like on a Buick you look at a .63 housing.. in this case its like a stock Garret vs a Precision housing. And here i'm thinking I have tons of back pressure.. putting larger turbo with same AR should be the same.. not true.. results speak for themselves.. Some voodoo stuff.. cant always look on paper.

Tighten converter.. get boost controller fixed.. 1-2 more psi boost.. a high 1.3 60 and it should run 8.8 at 154-156 and promptly get kicked out of the track :D

Attachments

• 7688_1.jpg
    7688_1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 781
Very Nice Julio!
Looks like the upgrade has helped substantially. I only hope to see those kind of gains from my upgrades.

Thanks guys.. I get that boost control handled and trans tightened up.. I think it has a good 8.6-8.7 in it at 160.

Anyone have a lead on a parachute :eek::D

more compressor,larger comp cover,larger exhaust housing (even though they are advertised as the same #)and downpipe= less backpressure.that's a nice gain for 600 bucks and some time.sucked alot more in and moved it out.even in the buick 3 bolt the tnetics.63 exhaust housing is considerably smaller than the precision .63,interesting that is also the case with the 4 bolt stuff.must have been a fun ride,your eyes must have popped when you got the slip:)

more compressor,larger comp cover,larger exhaust housing (even though they are advertised as the same #)and downpipe= less backpressure.that's a nice gain for 600 bucks and some time.sucked alot more in and moved it out.even in the buick 3 bolt the tnetics.63 exhaust housing is considerably smaller than the precision .63,interesting that is also the case with the 4 bolt stuff.must have been a fun ride,your eyes must have popped when you got the slip:)

Its always a suprise when I get the ticket. I dont know if its more fun racing or getting the time slip with a neat number on it :D

Heres a video from an earlier 9.3 run

YouTube - ‪Julio Don - Alky Control Turbo Mustang BMP 06-11‬‏

just looked a vid,alot more in the 60ft looks like it comes out soft then hits real hard 100ft out.car looks nice and straight going down the track.

just looked a vid,alot more in the 60ft looks like it comes out soft then hits real hard 100ft out.car looks nice and straight going down the track.

I was having issues with the 2 step last wed night(first time out new turbo).. so Sat AM was my first run "after" working on that. That pass I left like at 8 PSI. and 4200. The 9.2 pass I left at 4400 RPM's.. I'm having issues with boost staying steady as soon as the car leaves.. typical bugs that need to get worked out. I cant get any sort of traction on a street.. go figure :D

Unfortunately this type of bug can only be fixed at a track. So its make a change.. go and try it out. I have a few track visits to do and get the ramping sorted out. Before I contemplate turning it up. My next mod is upgrade to the 2.0 XFI software and use its boost control function. See how that pans out.

I'd love to get all these bugs out and try running methanol without the IC. but while i'm chasing stuff down, I dont need the added drama.

Not bad for a 3 year old motor on graphite head gaskets that I built in my 2 car garaje.

Whats your combo? Fast ride!

Bought the car with a blown motor.. was a 347. It needed to go .040 over so its now a 348. Block is an A4(4 bolt main), Crank is an Eagle, JE pistons(off the shelf), I forget what rods.. think they where Eagle, heads are Holley Systemax, cam is a Cam Motion Hyd roller, headers are steel from a company called Pony Down, IC is a small procharger, injectors are 60's.. , has a glide with a TCI converter, 3.55 gears, turbo is the T4 88 from Precision.

Engine management FAST. Not much else I can think off.

The little stuff is what kills me.. like getting the wheels to fit, getting the tires not to rub, fixing suspension issues, getting time to work on the car.. getting the little stuff fabbed.. and going through the learning curve of getting into a car I knew nothing about. Just like when I got into a Buick 12 years ago.