You can type here any text you want

New roller engine start up. Any Suggestions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tim Cucci

Engine currently has Valvoline Premium 10W30 in it. No additives. Do I need the ZDDP with the roller cam and is there a break in suggestion for the cam. Full Throttle Rev. X Roller Kit. I am close to start up and don't want to mess it up.

Thanks
Tim

Nope...no break-in on the cam needed...fire it up...ready to go...if it's a new motor...check for leaks...then take it out on the road and get into a little boost...5-7 PSI to help seat the rings...

Yes, you need an additive with a roller cam.:)

May not be too critical on a hydraulic roller, but a solid roller with HIGH valve spring seat pressures will kill rollers and cams. A typical solid roller cam is done after 2 seasons of lots of racing. A season here is long, and 150-200 runs is not unusual.:rolleyes:

There are other areas in your engine that "likes" the additive, cylinder walls typically take a beating in a boosted engine. Rest of the valve train sees high loads as well, for example, timing chain, oil pump drive gear come to mind.

Even on the street, these engines need good oil, and none of it off the shelf can provide it w/o an additive.:)

Nick I run Rotella or Dello(depends which one my parts store has at the time). Is that good enough?

MY best friend who works in a machine shop and has been building engines for 26 years(he built mine also) preaches to me about the use of these two brands to extend the life of my engine. He does not use or recommend any thing else. Whats your take on that.

Everyone has their own opinion on oils. Based upon a few hundred turbo engines we have built, and lots of race cars [with turbos] as well, we prefer Valvoline racing w/additive like EOS.

This is experience from engines we have torn down both damaged, and for a freshen. Mine just came out after 220+ runs and the bearings look great.

So after many years and engines with these kind of results, we will stay with our proven formula.:)

Delo and Rotella were, and are, good oils, but in the past year or so, their additive package has changed like the rest, different additive package.

I still have lots of old formula GM EOS, when that is gone, we will use Kirban's ZDDP product.:cool:

Nick is correct on the Delo and Rotella formulas bing re-done to meet the new EPA guidelines of the new diesel engines, the new CJ-SM oils are being used and you need to say away from them, the old Delo is now not being sold in qts. or gal. any more just the new LE oils, but is still sold in bulk, I can not speak for Rotella though, but I would venture to say the same is true as well of Rotella. I'm with Nick, good old Valv. VR1 racing oil should fit your needs.

Ron

Nic, thanks for the tip

I didn't think about the other high pressure points.
makes sense,
thanks
Lee

I've had good luck with Royal Purple.

Thanks for the input guys. Where can I buy this Valvoline oil?

Back