You can type here any text you want

New shocks or springs?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

smokin'6

Banned
I have 16 x 8 or 9s with Goodyear 205s or wider (the narrowest tire that fits on the front rims). The tires hit the wheel wells on large dips in the road. I don't really want to scrap the new tires and the nice aluminum rims that came with the car. I've switched from old KYBs to new Monroes and the hitting is worse. Is it time for a performance shock, or just new springs, or something else. Brands of springs/shock would be appreciated.

Whose wheel are you using?

Shocks wont do chit for the rubbing problem. Concentrate on the springs.

Sounds like wheel offset is the problem, if so only raising the car w/ springs,(not lifting returning to OEM height) or atleast raising the spring rate will help. A shock works best when matched to a spring, and if you have soft, saggy 1987 springs, start there IMO.
Good luck, keep us posted on the fix.
MOOG springs are a hit here, search the boards search menu for part #s , spring rates, and heights available.

They are light weight rims that are unique, never seen em on another Gn- don't know the brand, but they are a bit wider than stock I believe. They have a small spacer that helps them from rubbing on tight turns (like in my driveway). But they hit the front wheel well molding, I might try removing the molding but I think it'll need more than that. I'll have to look into the MOOGS I guess.

thanks

Back