Newbie Waste gate question

BlueT-Type

I have an adjustable Wastegate on a TA52 Turbo and a terry Houston Down pipe with OEM boost control. My question is how is it adjusted? Should it be adjusted in the closed possition with the car Off as a starting point? When this Gate actually functions to control boost does it pull the rod or push it. Common sense tells me if it is adjusted close when not running and the rod pulls when it is operating it has nowhere to go.

THANKS for the help
John

The pressure to the wastegate pushes the rod out, opening the puck inside the downpipe to bleed off boost. I would highly suggest you get a good scantool if you are at this stage with a 52 turbo. What is the rest of your combo?

Tighter is more boost, loose less boost. Generally one half turn is 1 psi....if I remember correctly.

Tighter is more boost, loose less boost. Generally one half turn is 1 psi....if I remember correctly.

close, one full turn is 1psi.

you will tighten the rod while the car is off. make sure you have a scan tool to monitor for knock. if you start cranking up the boost without tunning it, you will blow it up in no time

Hi,
Yep,that is the way you put holes in the pistons, for sure. You could always just disconnect the hose from the actuator,then you would get a full 30# of boost ,or there abouts.The car would run fast for about 2 seconds. That's a serious turbo you have installed. Learn what you can about these cars before you crank it. Have fun!

I'm not fooling with anything on this car!!!! I noticed at idle that little disc chatters because it is set now with it not balls seated tight. If it should not be seated tightly and rattle around at idle i'm good with that, just doesn't seem right. I'm not looking to improve anything on this rocket

What i have is:
TA52
50lb injectors
Kenne Bell duel stage headers
Terry houston down pipe
2 1/2 Duel Hooker Exhaust
62 MM throttle body
Kenne Bell Plenum
LSI maf with translator
Not sue of make but a Huge intercooler in front of the rad.
Chip is Kenne Bell or a Pitbull(Have not checked that yet)

The story is i bought the car new, never did anything to it(100% Stock), sold it 5-6 years ago. Thought it was gone forever. Located it, bought it back but it came back a different car. Kind of like that Steven king movie pet Cemetary.

So, not looking for more boost or anthing just wanted that rattle to go away.
It sounds like i should just leave the play in it and not seat it up??????

THANKS

Hi,
Sorry if I pissed you off;didn't mean to. I guess I was a little bit of a smart ass. I am glad to have you as an email friend. I wish I had better ideas about your problem. It seems to me that the issue is that when your vehicle enters what is called closed loop,the loss of power occurs. I don't think the ECM is at fault. The computer is getting information that is causing it to limit power.I don't know why. I will continue to think about this,and hopefully all of us can come up with a solution. Good luck with your issue.
Dale

welcome back bluet-type. i didnt see it listed in your mods but just incase, you need an accurate boost gauge and atleast a scanmaster before you go spinning the rod on the wastegate. unless you have these go no further. and park it til you do

A scan tool and boost guage are on list of "to get".

But just so i understand the function of this one device (Wategate).
If this is adjusted with the disc OFF the seat(Engine Off or at idle) it will not build boost or not much boost. Correct?
Now. if the disc is adjusted just so the disc is making good contact with the seat this would be the min. boost being it will not take much to overcome the diaphram/spring to control the amount of boost. Yes/No/Close?

Having said that, Do i understand correctly that it is the amount of turns inward from being seated is what is getting you additional boost. basicly the more turns the tighter the tension and the more psi needed to over come that tension hence more boost before the waste gate opens.

Do i have the idea correct?

Yes you are correct in your thinking. Other than that if the puck is off it's seat it won't build boost. it will still make some, but it will come in very late in the RPM range & not be much. Maybe 5-10 PSI tops.

With just enough tension on the rod to hold the puck against the housing will net you about 14-15 PSI or so. Just 1/8" tension (meaning you have to pull the rod 1/8" to get it hooked to the arm) will get you 17-18 PSI.