You can type here any text you want

Next upgrade: fuel pump & hotwire kit - suggestions?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Coelacanth

Now that I was finally able to install a 3.5" LS1 MAF sensor, AXiS interface & chip, and dial in the IAC and TPS settings, I'm thinking my next important ugrade needs to be a fuel pump & hotwire kit. I'm running stock turbo & injectors for now, but the injectors may be upgraded at a future time. Whatever I go with for a fuel pump should work with what I have now, and possibly 42# or 60# injectors and wake up the stock turbo by adding a manual boost controller. I would say my goals are modest: 12-second car, on a budget where I get the most bang for the buck. I'm also restoring a 1970 Charger so I'm always trying to stretch my car budget as far as it'll go. :)

I'm monitoring detonation with ALDLDroid and Bluetooth ALDL adapter.

Would you all agree that a fuel pump & hotwire kit is the best logical upgrade step? At least it's not overly expensive, I might even be able to do it this summer.

-What fuel pump should I go with, that will work fine with what I got, and also work for a mild injector & turbo upgrade. I might not even upgrade the turbo, I could just add an adjustable boost controller.

-Is the Racetronix hotwire kit a good package?

Thanks for the advice.

Fuel pump and hotwire probably should have been one of your first upgrades as they were barely adequate when new. Opinions will vary on fuel pumps but for your current setup and what you have planned in the future you can't go wrong with a DeatschWerks 255lph and a Racetronix hotwire.

Thanks 626gn. Any opinions on comparable Walbro fuel pumps? I see a lot of Turbo Buicks are running Walbro pumps.

Walbro had a bad run of at least one particular model a few years back and many have stayed away ever since. FWIW, I have run the Walbro 340M and GSS294 pumps with no issue. The only reason I changed out my Walbro (on my other car) was because I was running Ethanol and the Walbros were not rated for them, although, I was running Ethanol with them before changing them out without issue. The DeatschWerks has a 3 yr warranty is Ethanol compatible (if that matters to you) and reliability has been good as far as I know. That's the reason I recommended it. I'm sure there are other good options for you but I only have real world experience with the pumps mentioned. I'm sure other will chime in.

There's many 'upgrades' for these cars that are actually preventative maintenance. In your case, you need a hotwire and pump before it sees the road again.

Also, a timing set, rocker buttons, valve springs, oil pump pickup, along with a through spring cleaning.

The injectors are 30 years old and aren't worth keeping. A set of 60's and a matching chip will avoid a fueling mess in the future (that may or may not blow up the engine).

With a goal of 11secs, that's easy easy. With all the weak links and tired parts addressed you can have a daily driver that does that with no problem.

Back