No coilpacks???

JOHNDEEREGN

Staff member
What will we use instead of coilpacks if they become obsolite? MSD or what? Also, other special "sensors" etc. Has anyone replaced their coil pack with something better for a stock un modded car?

acell makes replacement coil packs

holly has a tps sensor that is compatable with the GN's

the crank sensor and cam sensor are hall effect sensors and are very common

the IAC is on tons and tons of other applications,..especially F-Bodies

ignition module.. well, there is always the aftermarket but they've been a bit flaky.. so that might be a hang-up

knock sensor is a piezio-electric mic basically and are very common on other vehicles

MAF, well with the T+ you got plenty of current options, and then with the maf-less setups some guys are running . no worries there...

anything else? :D

The same IAC is actually on the mid 80's fwd 3.8's...Along with the TPS...Same one that is used on the 86/7 GN/TRs...

im not sure but i saw a pic of bruces car and it looked to have a coil-on-cylinder LS1 type ignition. im not sure but i saw some wores coming out of a thing on the valve cover which looked like an ls1 ignition. is this correct bruce?

Originally posted by turbo buicks
im not sure but i saw a pic of bruces car and it looked to have a coil-on-cylinder LS1 type ignition. im not sure but i saw some wores coming out of a thing on the valve cover which looked like an ls1 ignition. is this correct bruce?

Yep, LS1 Smart Coils.
FAST has what's called an eDIST, and that allows you to do what I have.
When you want spark this is the answer.

Type II

A fairly easy conversion is the Type II style upgrade, consisting of a new ignition module, mounting bracket and 3 separate coil packs. Noticed these were still being used on newer GM vehicles.

The only real change you need to make to your stock setup is the spark plug wire routing. OEM coil packs had the plug towers on the back and the front sides, where the new coils have both towers on the back. You need about 2-3" more length for #2, #4, and #6 plug wires. NOTE: Even the ingnition module will plug right in to the existing wiring (86/87). Older models need an adapter plug. Everything mounts in the factory location.

The real benifit of this system is individual coil replacement and freedom to try various aftermarket coils.

I upgraded my system using a "KIT" from ATR. They also sell the adapter plug if you need one.

Cost: $120 for Ign Module
$30 x 3 for coils
$10 for bracket/hardware
if needed: $70 for 84-85 to 87 conversion connector/plug

Also, these are all GM parts. You might be able to get a better deal.

With the exception of the mass air flow meter every sensor, switch,coil and module was used on other GM models with the 3.8 or 3800 engine. There will never be a shortage of these parts.

From what I am reading, I can go to any 3.8 front wheel drive car, IE... 94 Buick SkyLark with a 3.8 engine and a Type II coil and plug it right in and it works???

Originally posted by FreeJack
From what I am reading, I can go to any 3.8 front wheel drive car, IE... 94 Buick SkyLark with a 3.8 engine and a Type II coil and plug it right in and it works???

Negative
The coil will not fit your module so you need a new module and an adapter for the wiring harness to plug into the new coil.

There may be other things also like the ECM talking to the module but I am not sure on that.

Re: Type II

Originally posted by 6=8

A fairly easy conversion is the Type II style upgrade, consisting of a new ignition module, mounting bracket and 3 separate coil packs.

The only real change you need to make to your stock setup is the spark plug wire routing.

OEM coil packs had the plug towers on the back and the front sides, where the new coils have both towers on the back.

You need about 2-3" more length for #2, #4, and #6 plug wires.

""You need about 2-3" more length for #2, #4, and #6 plug wires.""

Wondering (hoping) there is an existing application that allows for the differences in length for the 3 plug wires...??? :confused:

Or, just get a "universal" set, and measure/cut to fit?

TIA!! :)