no cruise control

chas52

cruise quit working. fuse is good wipers work, washer works, blinkers work.
any suggestions before wasting time? when setting the cruise the dash light doesnt come on. thanks.

You got two little push pin type switches down on top of your brake pedal arm... one is for your brake lights.. depress pedal for brakes and brake light comes on.

the other is for your cruise control.. such as on highway on cruise, you hit brakes.. cruise disengages, adjust that switch

my cruise hasnt worked since i got the car. im fairly sure its a wire. but ill check that switch too.

vss = vehicle speed sensor correct? if not what what is it, and even if im right where is it nd how to i check it?

I checked my vac lines and they all seem good. I need to double check them however with some better light and that diagram. oh and sorry for highjacking this thread chas52 lol. maybe your problem will get solved looking for mine.

vehicle speed sensor

And I still bet its the brake switch... if its just a tad bit out of whack it will not allow the cruise.. make sure its engaged all the way in with no slack on brake pedal arm

while your driving put your foot behind the brake pedal and pull it back towards you
then try to set the cruise(while holding the brake pedal towards you) if it works then adjust the switch

I'd bet on the stalk switch being defective. Usually a wire breaks, and the telltale sign is the CRUISE light doesn't work.

well i've never seen the cruise light. is the wire hard to fix? or will i end up more likely having to replace the switch?

you will need a scan tool to check vss, one of the techs at caspers electronics told me that vss not working could effect cruise, so you may want to call them. I would still check pedal switch and vac line.

If the torque converter locks up the VSS is probably working. Since the cruise light is not working it could be the upper switch on the brake petal or a broken wire on the stalk. As the stock is a PITA to change try plugging another one in at the connector at the base of the dash. To test if it fixes it.

Of course make sure the cruise bulb is not burned out. If none of these cures it there is always the cruise control box above the accelerator petal, that on occasion goes bad. Check the plug on this box, and the connector from the cruise control vacuum assembly where it comes in through the fire wall.

I had the same problem. All functions on the stalk worked except for cruise control. Change the stalk and voila! Cruise now works even though the light does not come on.

I had the same problem. All functions on the stalk worked except for cruise control. Change the stalk and voila! Cruise now works even though the light does not come on.

X3 On the stalk. I have one to replace mine for the 2nd time. It is, by far, the most common problem with these. Mine will work when the wipers are on, but who wants cruise in the rain.

****. I start it up to try this stuff out (last started probably 2 weeks ago. And bam. Blue smoke out the tale pipe. Burning oild somewhere. Sometimes I just wanna sell this thing.