No Rotella ZDDP so how about Deisel Specific Oils? 15w-40

jdpolzin

Now that Rotella isnt puting ZDDP into their oils, has anybody tried Deisel specific oils? Do they still have ZDDP or another synthetic wear protector? How about 15w-40 as a weight? anybody tried it? How's oil pressure?

i dont take chance !

I always add a comp came bottle in my 15w40 rotella
for that old stock 60k short block

imo

claude

Attachments

• zinc comp cam add.jpg
    zinc comp cam add.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 814
I also use Rotella T Triple 15-40 with a bottle of Lucas Zinc break in additive. My oil pressure when warm @ idle in drive 20 psi and rises as it should. No problems here. There are people who swear by it and there are some who frown upon the use of diesel oils in our cars. At the end of the day, there is no physical proof or evidence that it causes any harm. Until then, i will continue using Rotella T Triple with a bottle of Lucas Zinc.

Why do you guys want to run 15w40 oil:confused:That is molasses,these engines were shipped from the factory with 10w30:rolleyes:ALL new diesel oil will have less antiwear as that is what the tree huggers want:mad:The latest oil is SN and is no better for our cars.Do a search many good oils with SJ designation.Brad Penn,valvoline,Kendall etc:wink:

Kevin

for ME

my little 6 work hard as a diesel engine ( lot of compress )
that engine was built with a tight clearence i think with is 60 k
a heavy grade oil compensate the bearing's wear for keeping
a good oil press.

I think shell used the premium petrolium component for is
oil because they are a munufacturer and it is recommend
by all diesel truck engine manufacturer.

When i will rebuilt my engine with a flat tappet cam
i will go with 10w30 oil grade with comp cam add
because i can not find that valvolin vr1 in that damn contry !

imo

i know my english suck sorry

cp

Chevron Delo LE has marginal ZDDP. It would be fine for a broken-in flat tapppet cam with stock spring pressures. But for new cam break-in or if running heavier spring forces it would need an additive.

coming soon to your home

shortly i will be a vendor here and will offer brad penn racing oil .. it is made in the U.S.A. and has the correct amount of zdd so no other is needed . im working with shane right now to get this set up so all of our cars we be protected without the need for another additive.. package will include oil filter 5-6 quarts of oil of your choice in weight .drain plug and gasket for about 35-40 bucks to your home .. we should have this all put together in about a week . let me know if i can help with your oil needs . thanks paul

I've been using motorcycle oil.

I've recently found a local source for Amsoil.

....... there is no physical proof or evidence that it causes any harm. Until then, i will continue using Rotella T Triple with a bottle of Lucas Zinc.

That is a true statement, but the issue I have in running Rotella in my Buicks, but not in my Cummings, is that it contains a large percentage of detergent additive to try and keep those dirty engines clean. :)

Detergent helps clean cylinder walls, it then counters the friction modifer, ZDDP, from doing its job. :confused:

My simple take is why not just use an inexpensive oil which is SM rated like the expensive oils, and add ZDDP?

The more expensive oils also have more detergent, as their advertised life between changes is longer, and really this has no benefit in a turbo engine which gets contaminated before the additives go away.

I would rather change oil more often with less expensive oil, than keep in contaminated oil which evens out cost wise, but cleaner oil is better for the engine.

As far a cost, the Comp Cams additive is at least double the price of ZDDP, and has less than 1/2 the amount of the actual additive as determined by RC in his testing lab.

That is a true statement, but the issue I have in running Rotella in my Buicks, but not in my Cummings, is that it contains a large percentage of detergent additive to try and keep those dirty engines clean. :)

Detergent helps clean cylinder walls, it then counters the friction modifer, ZDDP, from doing its job. :confused:

My simple take is why not just use an inexpensive oil which is SM rated like the expensive oils, and add ZDDP?

The more expensive oils also have more detergent, as their advertised life between changes is longer, and really this has no benefit in a turbo engine which gets contaminated before the additives go away.

I would rather change oil more often with less expensive oil, than keep in contaminated oil which evens out cost wise, but cleaner oil is better for the engine.

As far a cost, the Comp Cams additive is at least double the price of ZDDP, and has less than 1/2 the amount of the actual additive as determined by RC in his testing lab.

X2 diesel oil additive packages are not meant to be used in a gasoline engine.:eek:Nick is correct they have higher detergents and not enough anti-foaming agents.Have you ever seen a diesel go 5500 rpm(not for long):pThis is the best advice use what ever automotive oil you want and zddp or use a racing only oil like the Brad Penn or valvaline(many others)

Kevin

I personally use Royal Purple in my motors but I'm trying to find the cheapest and best priced oil to add a bottle of ZDDP to for other peoples cars.

Now that Rotella isnt puting ZDDP into their oils, has anybody tried Deisel specific oils? Do they still have ZDDP or another synthetic wear protector? How about 15w-40 as a weight? anybody tried it? How's oil pressure?

they still have a very small amount--------currently it is just about impossible to pass the tests necessary for certification with ZERO zddp------ but that small amount is really marginal to protect a high revving boosted gasoline engine-------fact is its really hard to beat a good brand name oil that is API certified SM or SN with the addition of ZddPlus for either performance or price..........RC