No start condition

87chrisss

BLUBYU
Been awhile since i last posted -

i currently have a no start condition on a 87 GN- the car has a fully built motor girdled block GN1 aluminum heads champion intake, etc,

So I've done the usual,i checked for spark and injector pulse i have both. I installed a new battery reading 12+ volts the car cranks and fights back a little like if the timing is off.

If i go WOT while cranking it briefly starts but pops and sneezes through intake and it wont stay on brief start and turns right off.

I have made sure cam sensor is at 25 deg ATDC
I swapped crank sensor
I swapped ignition control module.

The car car has a FAST XFI

can someone point me in the right direction?

Ive verified all grounds on the motor and they are good

I even tried spraying starting fluid directly into throttlebody with no change in symptoms.

I know you said you have spark, what about the spark plugs?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Can you check an see if the cam shaft sensor is rotating with the cranks of the engine.looking to see if the tab broke from the ring.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Been awhile since i last posted -

i currently have a no start condition on a 87 GN- the car has a fully built motor girdled block GN1 aluminum heads champion intake, etc,

So I've done the usual,i checked for spark and injector pulse i have both. I installed a new battery reading 12+ volts the car cranks and fights back a little like if the timing is off.

If i go WOT while cranking it briefly starts but pops and sneezes through intake and it wont stay on brief start and turns right off.

I have made sure cam sensor is at 25 deg ATDC
I swapped crank sensor
I swapped ignition control module.

The car car has a FAST XFI

can someone point me in the right direction?

Ive verified all grounds on the motor and they are good

I even tried spraying starting fluid directly into throttlebody with no change in symptoms.
Been a while for sure.. and I still don't have the knowledge to offer any helpful advice :rolleyes: How's life as a linesman? Good to see you back & good luck with your issue.

I see you checked injector pulse, how is the fuel pressure? How old is the fuel?

I'm not familiar with the XFI system but if it were a stock type computer I would say cam sensor is off or the spark plug wires are on wrong.

Is it a stock reluctor wheel? If yes verify all wires are on correct cylinders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a while for sure.. and I still don't have the knowledge to offer any helpful advice :rolleyes: How's life as a linesman? Good to see you back & good luck with your issue.

Work takes up all my time man its crazy especially during storm season.

I see you checked injector pulse, how is the fuel pressure? How old is the fuel?

The fuel isn't that old but in my opinion fuel is irrelevant I'm spraying starting fluid straight into the throttlebody and I'm still getting the same issue..

I have experienced that engines do run on just starting fluid alone. Check the fuel pressure!

Last edited:
My car had a bad maf sensor one that wouldn't let the car start. I think it fouled the plugs first though. Still worth checking out.

Chris, did you end up figuring this out?

Negative, ive drained the fuel- put new fuel in it ive purchased new cam/crank sensors. I have spark, fuel pressure, and injector pulse it cranks over fine it will backfire hard and sometimes it starts with a terrible misfire when im pedaling it like a small block with a carburetor. Most times it doesn't even start. It has a FAST XFI and im not a tuner so I haven't found someone near me to come plug into it to figure out whats in the tune. I haven't removed injectors which I might do this weekend. They are Precision injectors

Might want to reinstall the stock ECM, MAF and scanmaster temporarily. It might be easier to diagnose the issue since your not familiar with XFI.