You can type here any text you want

Noob XFI questions....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

streetknight

DCVING
How steep is the learning curve? Right now I'm used to tuning with the TT chip, EGT, and WBo2.

So, I can get rid of the stock ecm, chip, MAF, Translator, power logger and wideband setup I have now correct?

Will the tranny still work correctly with the stock ECM gone?

Thanks for any help

It depends on who you buy it from. If you buy it from Jegs, your gonna have a real, real steep learning curve. Since they don't even know how to spell XFI.
I've said it a thousand times....When choosing an aftermarket ecu, buy the system from someone who will support it.

You can get rid of all those things you listed and the tranny, EGR, boost solenoid, AC, etc... will still work correctly if you have those items.

Thanks Cal. Just didn't want to overload myself since I'm doing the whole engine. Think it may be better to start from scratch with the new engine with the XFI instead of trying to tune it the old way and changing later.

If you still have your old engine in the car I would recommend putting it on that first and getting a "feel" for everything. Then when you drop the new motor in, your ahead of the learning curve.
Also, before you drop the new engine in, I would drill and tap the manifold or plenum for the ATS if you haven't already.

Unfortunately, it's already out. I spoke with you on the phone last week about my build. Trying to weigh my options on what I'd like to do with the car. We spoke about running THS, but all of the builder's that I've spoken with say it's probably not gonna get done by BG this year. Don't know if I wanna do it with a non TR shop or not.

I will get with you about tapping the intake when I purchase. THanks

I made the switch last year & couldn't be happier. Bought the system from Cal & the help from him is priceless.

I made the switch last year & couldn't be happier. Bought the system from Cal & the help from him is priceless.

I bought mine from Cal also, you can't go wrong with him. Before I bought it I bought the XFI dvd from FAST and have watched it several times. This really help me figure it out. It is not that hard. hope this helps!

I apologize for my ignorance; what does ATS stand for? I am preparing my car for XFI install now. Got a new harness from Caspers that goes direct to XFI. Will be ready to order the XFI setup soon. Where do I get the piece that gets installed?

ATS=air temp sensor

xfi needs to read air temp post intercooler

or in other words, ACTUAL intake air temp

i will be putting mine in the lower rear on the intake

(sensor threads in 3/8 pipe tap)

-dan

i have been trying to learn the xfi for about a year now. i don't get to play with it to much but, i get to tinker here and there. the one thing i dont get is how you come up with the spark table. i know the upper values and how to tune that area but all the low end stuff how the hell do you come up with that?

i have two different base maps here in front of me and the timing tables are much different.

I apologize for my ignorance; what does ATS stand for? I am preparing my car for XFI install now. Got a new harness from Caspers that goes direct to XFI. Will be ready to order the XFI setup soon. Where do I get the piece that gets installed?

We includeBuick specific installation information in our instruction sheet that comes with the XFI. We also have ATS extender harnesses in stock if you end up needing one.

i have been trying to learn the xfi for about a year now. i don't get to play with it to much but, i get to tinker here and there. the one thing i dont get is how you come up with the spark table. i know the upper values and how to tune that area but all the low end stuff how the hell do you come up with that?

i have two different base maps here in front of me and the timing tables are much different.

I base that information on the fuel octane rating, convertor stall, turbo size, compression ratio, camshaft, etc... Are the two programs you're comparing both from me specifically for your car :confused:

cal, dont know why this didnt post earlyer stupid computer. anyways the 2 programs i have are from 2 different vendors on this site (not yours).

also areas in the target a/f is quite abit different as for the target a/f ratio. just kind comparing what i see.

anyways i will be in contact with you via email soon. i would like to bs with you again

brent

ahhh. I can't explain what other programers are doing. My programs are specific for each customer. One more reason why I don't like them "sharing" them with others. Especially, if they bought the system from someone else. You're welcome to call me, but I charge for tech support on systems bought elsewhere. I suggest you call your vendor.

cal, dont know why this didnt post earlyer stupid computer. anyways the 2 programs i have are from 2 different vendors on this site (not yours).

also areas in the target a/f is quite abit different as for the target a/f ratio. just kind comparing what i see.

anyways i will be in contact with you via email soon. i would like to bs with you again

brent

Basically the timing map and the fuel map have to "match", and every tuner probably chooses slightly different values. Just to make up numbers, if you run 28 degrees of advance at some rpm and light load you might want the afr to be 14.5, but if you run 32 degrees there you might need 14.0 for the afr, so you really can't compare just the timing or just the afr maps. As to which one is better, well, there are a million ways to skin a cat :-) :-). And, part of what you pay a vendor for the initial tune is their experience at getting that kind of stuff very close to start with.

ahhh. I can't explain what other programers are doing. My programs are specific for each customer. One more reason why I don't like them "sharing" them with others. Especially, if they bought the system from someone else. You're welcome to call me, but I charge for tech support on systems bought elsewhere. I suggest you call your vendor.

cal, this is brent hayhurst i talked to you at the WCN in phoenix. Im not looking for support just posting info related to this thread on how hard the learning curve is. i know what you charge :D for your program and tech support. just talking out loud here.

Basically the timing map and the fuel map have to "match", and every tuner probably chooses slightly different values. Just to make up numbers, if you run 28 degrees of advance at some rpm and light load you might want the afr to be 14.5, but if you run 32 degrees there you might need 14.0 for the afr, so you really can't compare just the timing or just the afr maps. As to which one is better, well, there are a million ways to skin a cat :-) :-). And, part of what you pay a vendor for the initial tune is their experience at getting that kind of stuff very close to start with.

i see, im happy with my current race tune. i'm just trying to learn the street tune stuff.

Back