NOS Crate motor? When is the last time you saw one for sale?

Project TNX

eBay Motors: BUICK GRAND NATIONAL 3.8 ENGINE WITH TURBO, N.O.S. (item 220156124183 end time Oct-11-07 12:45:30 PDT)

BUICK REGAL GRAND NATIONAL (T TYPE) 3.8 LITER (235 CID) ENGINE WITH TURBOCHARGER, NEW OLD STOCK, IN THE FACTORY CREATE. THE G.M. PART NUMBER IS 966640. IN JULY 1987 WE ORDERED 2 OF THESE ENGINES FROM BOBBY LAYMAN CHEVROLET IN COLUMBUS AND ONLY THIS ONE CAME IN, AS IT WAS THE LAST ONE G.M. HAD. THIS IS THE LATEST VERSION WITH 245 H.P. AND 355 LB.FT. OF TORQUE. WE ALSO ARE SELLING A NEW INTERCOOLER, BOUGHT AT THE SAME TIME, AT OUR OTHER AUCTION. THE CRATED SHIPPING WEIGHT IS 550 LBS. AND THE WINNER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL SHIPPING COST. WE CAN LOAD THIS ITEM FOR MOTOR FREIGHT SHIPPING OR IN YOUR TRUCK. PLEASE DON'T ASK WHAT IT WILL COST TO SHIP THIS ITEM TO YOUR ADDRESS UNLESS YOU ARE THE WINNING BIDDER. IF THE WINNING BIDDER FAILS TO PAY IN FULL FOR THIS ITEM WITHIN 7 DAYS OF THE CLOSE OF THE AUCTION THE SALE WILL BE VOID. IF YOU CAN'T MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS AUCTION PLEASE DO NOT BID. WE TAKE VISA AND MASTER CARD FOR A $200.00 DEPOSIT BUT SORRY NO PAY PAL.WITH THE BALANCE IN A BANK CHECK IF THIS ITEM IS TO BE SOLD TO AN OHIO ADDRESS WE WILL ADD 6.75% SALES TAX TO YOUR INVOICE. ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE ASK BEFORE THE AUCTION ENDS. PLEASE CALL DENNIS MCCANN AT 614 855 1103 OR FAX 614 855 2850. DENNIS MCCANN FERRARI PARTS HAS BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR OVER 30 YEARS IN WESTERVILLE OHIO. WE CARRY PARTS FOR FERRARI CARS FROM THE LATE 1950's TO CURRENT MODELS.

b48b_1_b.JPG

b911_1.JPG

bf94_1.JPG

bc71_1.JPG

I know I would love to have it just to have it, but I have too much money wrapped up into my car as is. :cool:

I know I have checked EBAY for TR parts for a long time and this is the first unused (what appears to be a true GM) crate engine I have seen go over the wire.

IN JULY 1987 WE ORDERED 2 OF THESE ENGINES FROM BOBBY LAYMAN CHEVROLET IN COLUMBUS AND ONLY THIS ONE CAME IN, AS IT WAS THE LAST ONE G.M. HAD.
:confused:

I'm suspicious.
I have been in the TR scene since 86 and as far as know the only thing you could get as an assembly, was a shortblock.
In 1990 I spun a rod bearing and asked the dealer for the complete engine and he said "I wish they had that! you know how many I would sell"?
I mean think of all the hotairs and hybird that would have been converted in the early years.
In my mind the only way it could be authentic is if it was a stolen /"fell off the truck" between assembly plants in MI.
Hopefully eric can get to the bottom of it.

He's only a few minutes from me. I wouldn't mind checking this out just for the curiousity factor. Will there be any bids on it?

Unless it was stored outside in the weather how did all that rust get on those parts?

Longblock with wires, turbo, headers, crossover, fuel lines, vacuum block and lines?

It may be a low mile stocker pulled out of a racecar buildup 20 years ago. :eek: ;)

I doubt it's a factory longblock.

But I'm a pessimist anyways... :p

Good luck to the bidders. :smile:

When a vehicle is new, it is common for a complete assembly to be made available for warranty. All the parts arent in the warranty/parts pipeline yet so rather than wait they would use a complete assembly.

Production vehicles come first, then warranty pipeline, they very well could have been complete ones available at one point.

I know for a fact they were for the TTA's. Harry at Precision even had one and I drooled over it at the time.

later
Jeremy

When a vehicle is new, it is common for a complete assembly to be made available for warranty. All the parts arent in the warranty/parts pipeline yet so rather than wait they would use a complete assembly.

Production vehicles come first, then warranty pipeline, they very well could have been complete ones available at one point.

I know for a fact they were for the TTA's. Harry at Precision even had one and I drooled over it at the time.

later
Jeremy

It has that white protectant film on the coil pack and the MAF and turbo have plugs on them as well. I don't know what the deal is, but it seems kind of legit. :confused:

It's a legit crate motor. Here's a copy and paste that I sent to Steve.

I'd say thats legit. GM did offer complete carb to pan style motors. Usually only available during the current production years. They probally bought that back before 88.To order that motor a dealer would have to call up GM to check the price and availabilty. The part numbers weren't in the books anyway. Every once in awhile I sell them. The current LS6/LS7 comes with a wire harness and the alt and AC compressor attached. Just like they pulled it off the assembly line.

Bruce from PTS sold a similar engine a couple of years ago. I think you can build something better for around the same price.

Not a service part

Guys:

This is likely either a surplus engine, QC reject, repaired "tumble" or even a motor made effectively obsolete by some minor engineering change.

These kinds of motors get auctioned off by the big 3 for scrap.

We do a lot of surplus business, and there are several warehouses around the country literally filled with new, complete engines - right down to oil filters, harnesses and accessories. It's been quite a while since the LC2 could be found complete, but they were out there as little as 7 years ago. I do recall seeing a row of about 20 new, complete LC2 motors on pallets - though the ones I saw were tumbles. Broken valve covers, dented pans - typical damage associated with being dropped somewhere along the production line.

I wish I'd bought them, they could be had for about $1,200 each.

Today, all we find are Chevy Vortec truck motors, Ford 4.6/5.4, Zetec, V6 Mopars and other boring stuff.

Neat find, be interesting to see where this goes!

To add what Tom said, About every other year GM sends out a crate motor and transmission clearance list to the dealers and I'm assuming the Delco jobbers. On it is the part number, quantity they have and the dealer price. Sometimes they hold a lottery because there are some real dandys on that list like LT4's,LS6 and other desirable motorhead goodies. They usually go for literally pennies on the dollar. A crate motor that would have sold for $10K can be had for $1500 and so forth. I think on the last list I saw an 2.2 Ecotec for $900. And most of these aren't the blems or rejects that Tom described. Brand new turn key motors. I deal with a lot of specialty builders. BossHoss MCs,airboats and kit car companies. If you have the cash you can get just about anything your heart desires. As long as it's current production stuff anyway.:wink:

To add what Tom said, About every other year GM sends out a crate motor and transmission clearance list to the dealers and I'm assuming the Delco jobbers. On it is the part number, quantity they have and the dealer price. Sometimes they hold a lottery because there are some real dandys on that list like LT4's,LS6 and other desirable motorhead goodies. They usually go for literally pennies on the dollar. A crate motor that would have sold for $10K can be had for $1500 and so forth. I think on the last list I saw an 2.2 Ecotec for $900. And most of these aren't the blems or rejects that Tom described. Brand new turn key motors. I deal with a lot of specialty builders. BossHoss MCs,airboats and kit car companies. If you have the cash you can get just about anything your heart desires. As long as it's current production stuff anyway.:wink:

All this talk of crate motors reminds me of the GNX crate motor that was sitting in my car hauler over the last 8 months. Complete, clear back to the tranny tail shaft. I could have wheeled it out of the trailer and into my basement garage, but I think my Son-In-Law may have missed it. :eek:

Crate motor

Was that part of a dowry you had to give your son inlaw.At least you kept it in the Family. Cool to hear your son in law is into these cars as well

Was that part of a dowry you had to give your son inlaw.At least you kept it in the Family. Cool to hear your son in law is into these cars as well

No, it was an aquisition he made. I was just storing it in my trailer for him while they got settled in their new place. I had thoughts of sneaking it off the trailer and hiding it, just to see his reaction. :biggrin: